The Movie Forums Top 100 Comedies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Sure, it is a humorous scene, but I still can't think of the entire film as a comedy. Lots of films have some humorous moments, but aren't comedies.

The entire thing is constantly being satirical of a futuristic, heavily bureaucratic world that treats itself as being a lot more efficient than it is actually is (as in, nothing works).

So it's more, there are a few scenes in which there isn't at least something humorous going on, than it being a movie with humorous moments.

It's actually a pretty good pairing with Playtime in that sense - well, okay, maybe more Mon Oncle. Only Brazil is further in the future and the humor (and the nonhumor) has a very dark tone.

Never seen Playtime, not averse to giving both that and his Msr. Hulot's Holiday a watch at some point (I did start the latter once but wasn't feeling it so shut it off). Brazil is very good but wouldn't have been in with a shot for a comedy ballot with me.

Watched The Great Dictator last night, can respect it and quite liked it but another that wouldn't have been in with a shout of a personal ballot.

Seen: 29/54

Brazil is exactly the kind of black comedy I enjoy in films. It's a fantastic satire that makes great use of its set design to help convey its themes. It was the visuals in the main character's dream sequences that initially drew me to the film, but its criticisms of society are what got Brazil into the #6 spot on my list.

I'm not confident that I've ever heard of Playtime before.

Seen: 33/54

My List: 5
04. Evil Dead II (1987) - #93
06. Brazil (1985) - #47
07. The Great Dictator (1940) - #50
14. Clerks (1994) - #64
21. Tropic Thunder (2008) - #58

Honestly, I never thought of Brazil as a comedy and I'm a little surprised it made this list.
It's a comedy in the same way that Dr. Strangelove is. Though perhaps you wouldn't consider that film a comedy either, which I'd totally understand. Satire isn't typically the "laugh out loud" type of humour most audiences associate with comedies.

It's a comedy in the same way that Dr. Strangelove is. Though perhaps you wouldn't consider that film a comedy either, which I'd totally understand. Satire isn't typically the "laugh out loud" type of humour most audiences associate with comedies.
I would definitely consider Dr. Strangelove a comedy. For me, Strangelove is a better, more entertaining, funnier film than Brazil. I'm pretty lukewarm on Brazil (even though I did buy the Criterion blu ray), so perhaps that impacted my ability to see it as a comedy.

Tati's Playtime was #31 on the MoFo Top 100 of the 1960s as well as #45 on the MoFo Top 100 Foreign Films while Gilliam's Brazil was #21 on the MoFo Top 100 of the 1980s, #32 on the MoFo Top 100 Science Fiction Films, and squeaked in at #100 on the MoFo Top 100 Refresh.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I haven't seen Playtime yet, but Brazil was a pretty damn interesting movie with a perfect sense of direction from Gillian and a weird enough nature to keep it eye-gluing. 95/100.

Seen 34/54

I'm pretty lukewarm on Brazil (even though I did buy the Criterion blu ray), so perhaps that impacted my ability to see it as a comedy.
There have been films (and even one or two revealed on the Countdown so far) that I disliked so much while watching them that I genuinely didn't even realize were meant to have comedic elements, so I can totally see that aspect playing a factor.

I think the more you vibe with a film, the more you're able to pick up on things like subtle humour. If you're not having a good viewing experience, those things can easily be overlooked, or maybe even come across as irritating. That might be one of the reasons why comedies don't typically do so well in HoFs, on top of humour being very subjective in the first place.

I’ve never heard of Playtime.

It’s been a while since I’ve seen Brazil but it didn’t have an impact on me.

There have been films (and even one or two revealed on the Countdown so far) that I disliked so much while watching them that I genuinely didn't even realize were meant to have comedic elements, so I can totally see that aspect playing a factor.

I think the more you vibe with a film, the more you're able to pick up on things like subtle humour. If you're not having a good viewing experience, those things can easily be overlooked, or maybe even come across as irritating. That might be one of the reasons why comedies don't typically do so well in HoFs, on top of humour being very subjective in the first place.

Yup. It's that subjectivity that's the reason why I wasn't involved in the qualification discussions. Comedy is probably the most personal genre in that way.

Never seen Playtime Now the redeeming part of this post: I just looked it up at IMDB and it looks like it would be right up my movie watching alley....so I assume you MoFos who voted for it have good taste!

Brazil,
I loved the sets, they're the films strength. Brazil's unique view of the future with mundane items like old TVs and typewriters being retro-modified to have new 'futuristic' functions was striking visually. The dark cavern like sets that seemed to go on forever added ambiance & atmosphere. The cinematography is well suited to the look and style of the film too. This film's stylish look set trends in movie & advertising that is still being emulated today. CR

Brazil sounds like the sort of movie that would be right up my alley, but it drifted far too heavily into psychedelic nonsense territory (as Terry Gilliam's stuff tends to do). I also don't remember it as much of a comedy.

I had hopes for Playtime but ultimately it did very little for me, pretty enough to look at though. The only other Tati I’ve seen is M Hulots Holiday which also isn’t my cup of tea, but I found it more entertaining

I’ve had the criterion of Brazil for years but have never gotten to it, maybe some day soon

I like this pairing of visually unique and brilliant films and how they bend the definition of comedy. I played it loose with my list. Not all laugh out loud comedies. My order is odd too. Playtime is way better than South Park, it's a masterpiece of cinema, but I don't know this is what happened on the day I sent in my list haha.

4. Sherlock, Jr. (1924)
10. Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (1988)
13. South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (1999)
14. Playtime (1967)
15. Dazed and Confused (1993)
24. Singin' in the Rain (1952)
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Playtime has some of Tati's and Mr. Hulot's best sight and sound gags, but why did it have to go on for two-and-a-half hours?

I watched Brazil a few times back when Gilliam was fighting to get his cut released, and a few times since. Robert De Niro as Harry Tuttle is one of my favorite unpredictable characters ever.

Never seen Playtime Now the redeeming part of this post: I just looked it up at IMDB and it looks like it would be right up my movie watching alley....so I assume you MoFos who voted for it have good taste!

Of the Tati/Hulot films I've only seen Playtime and Mon Oncle. I've not seen Mr Hulot's Holiday, which is the other common title I'll hear.

While I think it doesn't really matter the order you watch them, I'd suggest watching Mon Oncle first, just because the ending tone does kind of set the framing of where Playtime picks up. Which will make more sense if/when you watch them.

Welcome to the human race...
One vote. Brazil was my #16 - much like Clerks, it was a long-time favourite that I've cooled on in recent years (though Gilliam's eye for detailed fantasy makes it a more interesting watch than Smith's lo-fi slacker goof) but it still has enough charm to its weird darkness (or is that dark weirdness). I've seen Playtime once and, like all other Tati films I've seen, I like it but don't love it.