Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

FINALLY got around to seeing it.
Vice President
358 Exchange Place New York, N.Y. 10099 FAX 212 555 6390 TELEX : () 4534

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
T2 in 3D

It's still a great action movie, one of the best, the effects, both practical and cgi still work and make it feel realistic and quality compared to the new Transformers type movies of today. The 3D was very subtle which is ok. Added some depth to the characters images and some scenes but nothing to really write home about. Glad I saw it on the big screen for the first time ever. Best 3D i have seen was the original Jurassic Park 3D release a few years ago and Avatar.

4 and a half out of 5 for the movie itself.

Originally Posted by Strichley
Another Indie movie from Joe Swanberg with his ensemble of actors. Very slight story, but enjoyable.
Let's see, it's got the beautiful Rosemarie DeWitt, Brie Larson, AND the talented Sam Rockwell? I'm sold!

Unregistered User
Laura (1944) -
Preminger has so many great great movies. This certainly isn't my favourite but its just another example of his talent.
The Devil and Daniel Webster
Glad I caught this before the 40's countdown. Definitely recommend seeing it if you can.

Four Lions

A Jihad satire following a group of homegrown terrorist jihadis from Sheffield, South Yorkshire

Aye up you unbelievin' Kuffar bastards! I'm gonna turn you to baked beans.

Death Note (2017, a Netflix Exclusive) directed by Adam Wingard

Absolutely loved this movie. Death Note surprised me since I am apprehensive toward anime adaptations, and heard that the Blair Witch remake (by Wingard) was a dud. That said, I liked The Guest (a movie I also recommend, which was inspired by Drive), and clearly this movie takes a few pages from it.

Admittedly, teen movies are a guilty pleasure of mine, so take my rating with a grain of salt, but since Death Note subverts the genre, it was a one-two-punch for me.

Additionally, the gore in the movie is excellent, and both (the ever watchable) Willem Dafoe and Lakeith Stanfield are notable standouts. That said, I would not be surprised to hear that fans of the anime are upset about the translation, but this didn't affect me since I personally know nothing about series aside from watching "The Philosophy of Death Note" on Youtube.

- Excellent fun, gore, and pacing. Definitely a watch for Horror movie fans, or for those into Teen Flicks.

You can't win an argument just by being right!

Four Lions

A Jihad satire following a group of homegrown terrorist jihadis from Sheffield, South Yorkshire

Aye up you unbelievin' Kuffar bastards! I'm gonna turn you to baked beans.

Absolutely loved this movie. Death Note surprised me since I am apprehensive toward anime adaptations, and heard that the Blair Witch remake (by Wingard) was a dud. That said, I liked The Guest (a movie I also recommend, which was inspired by Drive), and clearly this movie takes a few pages from it.

Admittedly, teen movies are a guilty pleasure of mine, so take my rating with a grain of salt, but since Death Note subverts the genre, it was a one-two-punch for me.

Additionally, the gore in the movie is excellent, and both (the ever watchable) Willem Dafoe and Lakeith Stanfield are notable standouts. That said, I would not be surprised to hear that fans of the anime are upset about the translation, but this didn't affect me since I personally know nothing about series aside from watching "The Philosophy of Death Note" on Youtube.

- Excellent fun, gore, and pacing. Definitely a watch for Horror movie fans, or for those into Teen Flicks.
Have you seen the Anime or read the Manga? I've not seen the film yet and probably won't. I have noticed that most who have seen the anime or read the manga think it's awful and most who haven't like it.

Ajeossi [The Man From Nowhere] (Jeong-beom Lee, 2010)
+
He may be from nowhere, the drug-usage figures quoted however are not - they are from the same UN report referenced in Moon to [Protégé]

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
The Devil and Daniel Webster
Glad I caught this before the 40's countdown. Definitely recommend seeing it if you can.
Such an underrated movie! I think I gave it an 8 or a 9.

“I was cured, all right!”

Really?
I have read the manga numerous times since its publication and I followed the anime in its first exhibition in the animax. I bought the Black Edition and the Blu Ray. Both the manga and the animation are great works that deal with social conflicts, complex of superiority, absolute extremism and intellectual confrontations. The japanese movies adaptation deals with the same subject with different approaches.

Now, five stars for an adaptation that takes only the characters' names and nothing else? So many aspects makes this film a bad adaptation. I like the Japanese adaptation exactly by approaching the story differently than the manga but this?

This is garbage
My friend, even if we forget that L and Kira are super genious, and that this is just an adaptation there's nothing good with this film.

" teen movies are a guilty pleasure of mine"
That's another problem! Death Note it's definitely not a teen oriented story!
Mangas like Naruto, Bleach and One Piece are 'Shounen', mangas/animes made for teens. Seinen are adult oriented and definelly not for children and not 'teens'. Just like Berserk, Hellsing and Basilisk. Guess what Death Note is? Yes, a seinen.
So why did they fail to capture the older audience? Oh yeah, they do not know that manga are serious works, maybe producers still think manga is kids stuff. Bunch of stupid idiots.
Anyway, at the end of the day this is just my opinion!

I find I am always able to go back to this movie fresh and enjoy it all over again. Cruise and Hackman do some really terrific work, and the jazz piano score is interesting.
Hackman is just awesome in this movie, just a fascinating performance. I love the piano score too.

Hackman is just awesome in this movie, just a fascinating performance. I love the piano score too.
Me, too. Unique to have jazz piano in a thriller like this, but fits. I want this on blu ray, and I think I even want the poster.

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

Birth of the Dragon (George Nolfi, 2017)

The legendary fight between Bruce Lee (Hong Kong martial artist/action star Philip Ng) and Wong Jack Man (Mainland China actor Xia Yu) is depicted and takes a very unnecessary twist that many will say the film was about the character of Steve, played by Billy Magnussen. No, that wasn't the real issue. The real issue was an unnecessary angle involving Steve's romance with a Chinese woman (Qu Jingjing) and its impact on the Triads, who the girl work for, which leads to the legendary fight.

The film does show Bruce and Wong at first in a game of wits over "what is kung fu" with Steve being the middleman as he tries to find himself in the midst of all, but he is not so much the primary focus, but rather Bruce's meaning of kung fu and Wong's meaning of kung fu which in turn, will come to fruition with their fight.

Another plus besides the performances by Ng and Xia is Corey Yuen's fight choreography, for me, his best after coming off quite a slump to the point where hope was almost all lost. Despite some minimal bits of wirework, a lot of the action is grounded with Ng showcasing his real-life skills in Wing Chun skills and Xia making the most of his work with some doubles.

Final Rating: B-

Have you seen the Anime or read the Manga? I've not seen the film yet and probably won't. I have noticed that most who have seen the anime or read the manga think it's awful and most who haven't like it.
I have not, which has colored my impression of the movie for sure. Based on my observations, it is probably best that you not see it.

Really?
I have read the manga numerous times since its publication and I followed the anime in its first exhibition in the animax. I bought the Black Edition and the Blu Ray. Both the manga and the animation are great works that deal with social conflicts, complex of superiority, absolute extremism and intellectual confrontations. The japanese movies adaptation deals with the same subject with different approaches.

Now, five stars for an adaptation that takes only the characters' names and nothing else? So many aspects makes this film a bad adaptation. I like the Japanese adaptation exactly by approaching the story differently than the manga but this?

This is garbage
My friend, even if we forget that L and Kira are super genious, and that this is just an adaptation there's nothing good with this film.

" teen movies are a guilty pleasure of mine"
That's another problem! Death Note it's definitely not a teen oriented story!
Mangas like Naruto, Bleach and One Piece are 'Shounen', mangas/animes made for teens. Seinen are adult oriented and definelly not for children and not 'teens'. Just like Berserk, Hellsing and Basilisk. Guess what Death Note is? Yes, a seinen.
So why did they fail to capture the older audience? Oh yeah, they do not know that manga are serious works, maybe producers still think manga is kids stuff. Bunch of stupid idiots.
Anyway, at the end of the day this is just my opinion!
Sorry if my opinion has upset you, that was not my intention. Based on your post, you have a lot of passion and love for the series which I can certainly appreciate. Have a nice day!

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Every bit as good the next night

I thought this was a documentary about rugby until I read your post..

four lions?... lions.. rugby.. four nations, idk anyway

I liked the underlying seriousness in it which didn't feel unbalanced with the comedy which I feel can happen at times, I did question if it's a good thing to make light on this topic and it's messages but in won me over by the end and a few times I laughed so hard it hurt my ribs.