Favorite Musicals

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Tony is a very difficult character to cast, I've never seen any actor nail it, but I think Elgort got closer than Beymer. I really didn't like "Gee Officer Krupke" in the remake, the number was much funnier in the original. The other number I preferred in the original was "Cool"...I think the choreography in the original is breathtaking. On the other hand, I did like the position of "Cool" in the story. As a storytelling tool, I think it worked better in the remake.

I agree that the choreography in the original is better than the remake. Also, "Gee Officer Krupke" is funnier in the original, but I like both versions. I thought it was a nice change having it in the police department, where they made a mess, and left.

But the bottom line is that even though I think the original is a better movie, (and one of the best movie musicals ever made), I like both versions of the movie.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I like this one an awful lot...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pennies from Heaven
Directed by Herbert Ross
Screenplay by Dennis Potter
Cinematography by Gordon Willis
CAST: Steve Martin, Bernadette Peters, Jessica Harper,
Vernel Bagneris, John McMartin, and Christopher Walken
1981, approximately 108 minutes

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've never seen Pennies from Heaven, but your review makes it sound like it's worth watching. I added it to my watchlist, but if we ever do a Musical Countdown, make sure you mention it the recommendation thread, just in case I haven't watched it by then.

Ah, Pennies From Heaven - originally presented as a BBC tv serial musical drama with Bob Hoskins in the lead. Great stuff!

I've never seen Pennies from Heaven, but your review makes it sound like it's worth watching. I added it to my watchlist, but if we ever do a Musical Countdown, make sure you mention it the recommendation thread, just in case I haven't watched it by then.

LOVE Pennies From Heaven

The Rocky Horror Picture Show
The Music Man
Cabin In The Sky
The Young Girls Of Rochefort
Grease

Probably a bunch more but those are the ones I watch the most, probably, at least the last few years.

Nice to see some love for The Music Man, a movie I never tire of re-watching...Preston and Onna White's choreography are brilliant.

I agree that the choreography in the original is better than the remake. Also, "Gee Officer Krupke" is funnier in the original, but I like both versions. I thought it was a nice change having it in the police department, where they made a mess, and left.

But the bottom line is that even though I think the original is a better movie, (and one of the best movie musicals ever made), I like both versions of the movie.
I feel the same way except I have to give a slight edge to the remake.

Although many people will automatically select 'Singin' in the Rain' as the Best Musical, it is understandable. Even better though is 'Bandwagon', a perfect blend of inspired casting, solid satirical screenplay (Comden/Green), and the brilliance of Astaire, Charisse, Buchanan, Levant, Fabray. Somewhere on the 'Best' list, we should include 'My Sister Eileen' with fantastic dancing of Bob Fosse and Tommy Rall, superb work by Betty Garrett and Janet Leigh, solid songs and casting. It is the film that had to be made sans the material from the Broadway hit 'Wonderful Town'. Though only a partial musical, must include 'Pete Kelly's Blues', with its homage to jazz...and Maty Matlock arrangement coupled with Peggy Lee (terrific acting job), Ella Fitzgerald, and bouncy Janet Leigh.

Victim of The Night
Nice to see some love for The Music Man, a movie I never tire of re-watching...Preston and Onna White's choreography are brilliant.
I've watched it, no joke, 20-30 times. I could recite the entire film by the time I was like 15.
One thing I didn't appreciate until I was older and became a musician was how great Shirley Jones is. Her acting performance, I think, is actually quite good and I always liked it, but I never appreciated what a tremendous vocalist she was.

Over these two months of August-September I finished 40 music related movies. They were either musicals, biopics about musicians, or fictional movies with music in them. Whatever the case, musicians and music was the central theme. I also partially watched 8 music related movies that I didn't finish because I didn't like them for one reason or another. 1 movie was a live show, The Song Remains the Same, which I didn't rate. Here's my top 20 favorites of that bunch.

1. The Wizard of Oz (1939)
2. Amadeus (1984)
3. Guys and Dolls (1955)
4. Labyrinth (1986)
5. Phantom of the Paradise (1974)
6. The Doors (1991)
7. Grease (1978)
8. Viva Las Vegas (1964)
9. Sweet and Lowdown (1999)
10. The Red Violin (1998)
11. Cry-Baby (1990)
12. Rock Star (2001)
13. Performance (1970)
14. Beyond the Sea (2004)
15. Detroit Rock City (1999)
16. Cabin in the Sky (1943)
17. Jalsaghar or The Music Room (1958)
18. Bubba Ho-Tep (2002)
19. The Jazz Singer (1980)
20. This Must Be the Place (2010)

My favorites would probably be...

The Umbrellas of Cherbourg
The Young Girls of Rochefort
Cabaret
Sweet Charity
Singin in the Rain
The Rocky Horror Picture Show
Jesus Christ Superstar
Mary Poppins
The Sound of Music
City of Angels(not a movie but a theatre production that I enjoyed)

Ones that I would like to see: An American In Paris, The Music Man, Top Hat, 42nd Street, Oliver!

Not counting Disney animated films, these are some of my favorites...

Moulin Rouge!
An American in Paris
Once
The Wizard of Oz
La La Land
Singin' in the Rain
Cabin in the Sky
Love all of these except Once...that movie bored the crap out of me.

Love all of these except Once...that movie bored the crap out of me.
Oh Once could very well be my #2 or #3 favorite musical

'West Side Story' (original). I have to say the remake wasn't too shabby as I enjoyed it a lot.