Punk Is Dead

Tools    

Someone Save Us College Kids
No fact in denieing it, but punk is dead. There is no good bands wortthy of listening to, so I jam out and cover old punk songs from bands like, the Ramones Black Flag, or Minor Threat. Any opinions on this subject Id like to hear.

heres my list why Its dead.

1. The genres that decreased punks creditability, ( emo, Pop Punk, screamo, alt., Etc)
2. Poser bands out claimng to play punk music ( Simple Plan, Good Charlot. Etc)
3. The over marketing of using the word punk, ( Punk goes acoustic, punk rock areobics, punk rock is your friend)
4. Sell out bands or bands that have gone soft in old age( Greenday, Etc.)
5. The Vans warped tour being taken over by Emo groups and Screamo bands( the used etc.)
6. The passing of a legand( Jhonny Ramone)

Wanna Date? Got Any Money?
Bahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Ok listen, i'm not in the mood to argue about this, so i'll put forth everything I have to combat this stupid stereotype.

A.PUNK IS NOT DEAD, what you know as punk has all faded, and thats what YOU know about punk. There are still VAST amounts of punk rock bands out there. But it's not like the 70's where you could walk down the street and see a punk show every night of the week. But I can go see great punk bands such as Under Pressure, The Nerve Agents, hell there are still thousands upon thousands of GOOD punk rock bands out there.

B.Actually the word you're looking for is poseur, poser has a totally different definition. And I have never ONCE heard Simple Plan or Good Charlotte call themselves punk. I have a few friends who like them, and they don't even call them punk, so please before you bash, know your stuff.

C.I agree SOMEWHAT with your point on how the word punk is over marketed. But that's because media whores and the people up in the companies who produce that stuff, think it's cool to be punk. Trust me neither the fourteen year old girls who claim to listen to punk or the fat cats who produce and market it know what it really is.

D. Sellouts????? wow what a cliche, I didn't expect that... Ok Greenday are never what I'd call punk. But THEY are pop-punk along with bands like the descendants and the like, which means they never sold out, but like back in the late 90's with their albums like nimrod they also changed their sound... Just because every album doesn't sound like Dookie. Doesn't mean they sold out.

E.The Warped tour was NEVER a great place to see actual punk rock. Most of the bands to play on this tour have NO IDEA what the punk ideals of old are. And look at the lyrics of todays "punk" bands, well the ones you'd know. Are all about something lame, never have I heard any worthwhile lyrics while listening to a Greenday album or to a Bad Religion album. If I want good lyrics I have to turn to the stuff like uk82 and bands like Discharge, Broken Bones, GBH, Cro-Mags, Bad Brains. Then there ARE good bands today that have awesome lyrics, about what punk really is, bands like CAREER SUICIDE, Newer Broken Bones, Guns liquor and whores, Under Pressure.

F. If you plan to praise him so damn highly, at least learn to correctly spell JOHNNY's name. I mean Johnny was a great influence to the pop-punk scene, and to most punk in general. The Ramones along with the Misfits and the New York Dolls all made punk big on the american side of the pond. While bands like The Sex Pistols and The Clash made punk big on the UK side of the pond. The Ramones were/are awesome, and I will always respect what they did for punk

R.I.P: Johnny

P.S: Punk is not nice and clean, punk is dirty and mean. It's not meant to show how awesome you are at skateboarding, and it shouldn't be positive. Punk was essentially the gangster rap of the 70's. It caused uproar and mayhem, and told how it was on the streets, not how awesome my nice little home in white suburbia is.

And this is my BOOMstick!
Punk is still around. I might not be into real punk, but I still enjoy listening to Bad Religion, NOFX, Ramones, Alkaline Trio and Sum 41. If that's not real punk, but wannabe punk, I honestly don't care because as long as it sounds good and has semi-decent messages in their songs it's fine by me.

A system of cells interlinked
Here's to Johhny

But I have to say one thing.

The Ramones have to be one of the worst pieces of garbage bands I have ever heard. Absolutely no talent, and they are the epitome of poseur in my mind. I saw them perform at a festival and they cleared the field. They were awful, awful, awful.

The Sex Pistols, now there was a punk band.

All just me opinion of course.

A system of cells interlinked
Oh I would never, I just can't understand why they had an influence when they have trouble playing their instruments well.

Bring on The Clash.

Depends on what you by Punk, I suppose. It's certainly dead in its old form; it's largely degraded into whiny emo crap. It's become too trendy, and thus has lost the countercultural status that made it what it was to begin with.

I wipe my ass with your feelings
I've got to say this, according to the title.

Thank God.

Originally Posted by Electric Wizard
Ok listen, i'm not in the mood to argue about this, so i'll put forth everything I have to combat this stupid stereotype.
If your not in the mood then why bother to put something out that you know I'm probaly going to aruge with you. O well; stereotype? But isnt that what punk is ? Right its always been that way and will always be that way.

Actually the word you're looking for is poseur, poser has a totally different definition. And I have never ONCE heard Simple Plan or Good Charlotte call themselves punk. I have a few friends who like them, and they don't even call them punk, so please before you bash, know your stuff.

A quote taken from that bands bio page. "Hands up, who’s sick of debating what is or isn’t “punk”? If you’re reading this, chances are you’ve already made up your mind about Simple Plan" Wow, doesnt that sound self explanatory? But im going to cast aside this, because it little to be argueing about, but they infact have claimed, or stated to be playing punk music.

Sellouts????? wow what a cliche, I didn't expect that... Ok Greenday are never what I'd call punk. But THEY are pop-punk along with bands like the descendants and the like, which means they never sold out, but like back in the late 90's with their albums like nimrod they also changed their sound... Just because every album doesn't sound like Dookie. Doesn't mean they sold out.
Descendants paved the way for there type of music.

If you plan to praise him so damn highly, at least learn to correctly spell JOHNNY's name. I mean Johnny was a great influence to the pop-punk scene, and to most punk in general. The Ramones along with the Misfits and the New York Dolls all made punk big on the american side of the pond. While bands like The Sex Pistols and The Clash made punk big on the UK side of the pond. The Ramones were/are awesome, and I will always respect what they did for punk
Wow, pretty stiff comming from a person who once said " the Clash were more of a rock band. The Ramones were rock. And The Sex Pistols were the first "punk" boyband." Dont try to preach to me like you did AOZ, rember its all in the eye of the beholder, of what something is, who are they to say its warped or not right.

Below me.

Maybe I should restate what I mean. Most of the mainstream bands out now claim to be performing punk music. I will agree that there are bands that are stilll around living up to the name "punk". But the truth is its dead in old form. Its not as good as the 70's and 80's were.Punk "was" about taking a piss as it was about smashing the system. You dont see the same feeling into the music anymore. I havent herd on good band or song from any "punk bands" in along periode of time. Unless of course there 70's or 80's. Even the local bands around Michigan and Detriot have nothing.But in the end its all on what the fans and what the people believe so I will always believe there is no way to actually have anwser.

Who really gives a sh_t, anyway? Music is like a living thing, it's always changing. It will continue to change, whether or not you're changing with it.

Personally, I'd rather be stuck in the past. But, there's no use whining about what's popular, because that's how it is.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Okay, I'm not gonna argue the whole punk/not punk thing, cause I am not in grade school anymore. lol. I will listen to ANYTHING, regardless of "Credibility" as long as it's GOOD. (Hell, I will admit fully to liking some Avril Lavigne songs, because, heavily marketed or not, the girl has talent and a great voice.)

What I will argue is Green Day going "soft." Have you listened to "American Idiot" in it's entirety? I haven't heard a more angry cd this year. It's entirely about "smashing the system" and "taking a piss." It both mocks and celebrates it's own audience, as well as takes dead aim at our current "Red State" mentality. And what's so "Sell Out" about recording a concept album in the era of quick singles?

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Originally Posted by Garrett
Who really gives a sh_t, anyway? Music is like a living thing, it's always changing. It will continue to change, whether or not you're changing with it.

Personally, I'd rather be stuck in the past. But, there's no use whining about what's popular, because that's how it is.
Well put I agree with you.

Originally Posted by Monkeypunch
Okay, I'm not gonna argue the whole punk/not punk thing, cause I am not in grade school anymore. lol. I will listen to ANYTHING, regardless of "Credibility" as long as it's GOOD. (Hell, I will admit fully to liking some Avril Lavigne songs, because, heavily marketed or not, the girl has talent and a great voice.)

What I will argue is Green Day going "soft." Have you listened to "American Idiot" in it's entirety? I haven't heard a more angry cd this year. It's entirely about "smashing the system" and "taking a piss." It both mocks and celebrates it's own audience, as well as takes dead aim at our current "Red State" mentality. And what's so "Sell Out" about recording a concept album in the era of quick singles?
There is nothing wrong with making an album thats good all-the-way around,but the thing is it saddens the fans of the artists music. They have changed, Pop in american Idiot and then Pop in dookie.

Wanna Date? Got Any Money?
Originally Posted by Frank Castle
If your not in the mood then why bother to put something out that you know I'm probaly going to aruge with you. O well; stereotype? But isnt that what punk is ? Right its always been that way and will always be that way.

A quote taken from that bands bio page. "Hands up, who’s sick of debating what is or isn’t “punk”? If you’re reading this, chances are you’ve already made up your mind about Simple Plan" Wow, doesnt that sound self explanatory? But im going to cast aside this, because it little to be argueing about, but they infact have claimed, or stated to be playing punk music.

Descendants paved the way for there type of music.

Wow, pretty stiff comming from a person who once said " the Clash were more of a rock band. The Ramones were rock. And The Sex Pistols were the first "punk" boyband." Dont try to preach to me like you did AOZ, rember its all in the eye of the beholder, of what something is, who are they to say its warped or not right.

Below me.

A. I know you'll argue with it, but that makes you look stupid because I've been in the punk scene for years, same with the metal scene. I am educated in what the music is about, and I know that if someone argues with me they're probably illogical.

B.I've never heard them called punk, i've only heard they're moron fans call them that, and they know **** all about punk.

C.The Ramones actually paved the way for pop-punk, The Descendants did help later on

D.The Clash was more of a rock band. But we can't forget that the Clash fused MANY MANY elements of music together, for instance you could see reggae influences and world influences in their music. I didn't say they WERE NOT punk, just that they seemed to be more of a rock band, but not saying they weren't punk. The Ramones were also a rock band, but they were pop-rock. And because everyone labelled them punk, they became punk. The Ramones essentially took pop songs, added heavy guitars and rock vocals. Yes the Sex Pistols WERE the first punk boy-band. But that doesn't have any relevance to the issue at hand. But if you want to get into it I will. The Sex Pistols were basically an all-star group of british teens who fit into a specific image at a time. THEY WERE MARKETABLE, or as I like to call it Anarchy in a can. It's contained and it's rowdy but safe rowdy. They were a band for the rebellious teenager who got A's in school. And I'm not preaching, lordy lordy, I would never preach. I'm just pointing out the obvious flaws in your argument. And exploting them in my favour.

And for the record, next time you choose to have a valid arguement with someone, don't tell them to blow you. Grow up.

Originally Posted by Frank Castle
There is nothing wrong with making an album thats good all-the-way around,but the thing is it saddens the fans of the artists music. They have changed, Pop in american Idiot and then Pop in dookie.
I've been a green day fan since they first came out, (like 10 or 12 years ago.... ) and I don't see any problem with them changing. I like BOTH cds. I wouldn't want them to just make Dookie over and over again, THEN I'd be saddened. There is nothing more depressing than seeing your favourite band cannibalize their old stuff endlessly. That's why every Ramones CD after Too Tough To Die is just..eh. American Idiot is Green Day's best CD in years, really, it's the first one in a while where they DON'T seem like they're treading water. Seriously. Listen to the first Clash album, then listen to London Calling. They're both brilliant, but they sound nothing alike. Did this sadden fans of the Clash? no. Bands have to change. I don't see why that should make anyone cry "Sellout." A thing to notice: Green Day actually refused to make an edited version of American Idiot, which is a very profane cd.

Originally Posted by Sedai
Here's to Johhny

But I have to say one thing.

The Ramones have to be one of the worst pieces of garbage bands I have ever heard. Absolutely no talent, and they are the epitome of poseur in my mind. I saw them perform at a festival and they cleared the field. They were awful, awful, awful.

The Sex Pistols, now there was a punk band.

All just me opinion of course.
When did you see the Ramones? Cause their later tours in the late eighties, early nineties were notoriously bad, hardly up to their original 70's, early 80's heyday. I am a huge Ramones fan, I have all their cds, but even I can't listen to their later live stuff. By the mid eighties, the band hated one another and it showed in their performances.

Hello Salem, my name's Winifred. What's yours
k guys im stilla little unsure on this punk thing, i think i listen to punk but after listening to what you all have said i question my taste in music.

Will you make a list of the bands YOU think is punk please?