Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Dazed and Confused (1993) -

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World (2010) -

Edgar Wright can do no wrong
Thanks for the tip, Yam12! Even though it appeared to be an idiot teen film, we checked it out based on your rating. I'm glad we did!

This was a very clever, zany, fairly offbeat, and fresh treatment of an old tale. It was a film wholly dependent upon the writing and special effects. And it produced in spades. It did not require top actors.

I did however take a special liking to Ellen Wong as "Knives Chau" (great name). She was not only as "cute as a bug", but displayed a full range of acting. Michael Cera as the protagonist was constantly near to the edge of being an over the top schlub, even in a whacky comedy. He was such a dweeb that I was wanting to smack him myself...

I hadn't realized that Edgar Wright had also done Hot Fuzz, otherwise I'd have been looking forward to "Pilgrim". Based upon our enjoyment of it, we'll go back and give Baby Driver another chance. I had turned it off after the first 10 minutes with a figurative splitting headache...

Cheers,
~Doc

movies can be okay...
The Seventh Continent (1989):

"The Seventh Continent" is Michael Haneke's first feature film, and a phenomenal one at that, after years of experience in the TV industry, Haneke finally manages in 1989 to enter the cinematic field, with a quite disturbing and bleak representation of a bourgeois family who is detached from their lives. The theme of alienation has its fair share of representation in cinema (Taxi Driver, Anomalisa, Elephant, Uzak...), but this masterful director portrays it in a way that elevates his material from the rest of its kind.

The viewer is given a voyeuristic perspective into three years of the mundane life lived by an Austrian family, their ordinary behaviour and actions are constantly repeated throughout these years in an almost robotic manner, drained from any kind of emotion or life, it seems as though they have lost the traits and characteristics that made them who they are, and this is all due to the mechanical and undercurrent environment they live in, which is what the director seems to be criticising in our modern society, via his film.

One thing I love about Haneke is his great ability to communicate with the spectator mostly via images, and not dialogue, plot points that would usually be spelled out, are presented subtly with a touch of realism, which makes their effect much more powerful, and the message even clearer.

The only major problem I have with the film is the rolling text in the end, which I found completely unnecessary and somewhat contradictory to what the director is all about, the text serves as some sort of closure for the audience, an ending, which prevents anyone from interpreting what might happen next, and that is basically counterproductive...Bad move Haneke! Bad move!

Other than the above, the film features the familiar flawlessness that we would become used to from this director, the sense of framing and shot composition matches the tone of the movie, the acting is spot on even when it comes to the child actor, and the last thirty minutes of the film are simply genius.

"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

Dunkirk-5/10 A little hard to understand and a hard concept for children
Dark Tower- 9/10 Good concept and unique plots.

To see Dawn of the Dead on the big screen was a delight! My favorite horror movie on a screen that large and Goblin playing over a theater sound system did not fail to make my eyes widen and my nipples erect. Easily a top 25 favorite film, a flick I have rewatched multiple times, and the best film in one of my all time favorite franchises.

Originally posted by The Gunslinger45:
To see Dawn of the Dead on the big screen was a delight! My favorite horror movie on a screen that large and Goblin playing over a theater sound system did not fail to make my eyes widen and my nipples erect. Easily a top 25 favorite film, a flick I have rewatched multiple times, and the best film in one of my all time favorite franchises.
My favorite in the entire franchise also. Funny but one line sticks out from this movie for me and that's Peter (Ken Foree) saying, "Just like to know who everybody is." He's been in the movie for about 15-20 minutes by now, and I got a bit of a feel for him, but him saying this made me really like him. He's my favorite character in the movie.

Unregistered User

Elles (2011)

Not to be confused with Verhoeven's excellent Elle, this also has a very dark and similar theme to it although the final result is still disappointing. Not surprisingly Binoche is the best thing about this.

The Guest (Adam Wingard, 2014)
+
Underwhelming 'action thriller' that would have been better played as parody imo

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Remember My Name - 7.5/10

I've had this on my DVR for over a month, but always avoided it because of Geraldine Chaplin (never liked her in any of Altman's movies) but she doesn't play an uppity Englishwoman, and was pretty good in this movie.

But it kinda already is
But nowhere near enough imo - parody requires exaggeration and there's far too little of that in this for me to truly regard it as parody. As it stands it's more like a playful pastiche imo.

But nowhere near enough imo - parody requires exaggeration and there's far too little of that in this for me to truly regard it as parody. As it stands it's more like a playful pastiche imo.
I rewatched it recently and still like it a whole lot.

I think a complete parody would ruin the film. I like it the way it is. To me, the movie is one of the biggest pile of ups of genres and inspirations. It's a throwback to the 70s and mostly 80s thrillers and horrors, but it's also a clear homage to straight up slashers, but it's also an mystery drama, while also being a great modern action thriller and a spy/special ops movie...

It's so many things, and I think it keeps the movie spicy and interesting throughout. I personally love how it plays it serious, because all these genre mixes and whatnot makes it obvious to me it isn't dead on serious. The director knows what movie he's making and the main actor especially knows he's playing a textbook creepy guy villain type of dude. I grin and even laugh at several places, it's great. The movie puts style and entertainment first, which it does mostly through homages and sly references, but the story that creates the fundament is still solid to me. I'm invested in most of what is going on about the sister finding out, the brother bonding with the sicko and so on...

It's one of those movies that would be perfect for a grindhouse cinema type of experience. It's stylish hard-pumping action thriller horror movie and I think it's pretty great.

I rewatched it recently and still like it a whole lot.

I think a complete parody would ruin the film. I like it the way it is. To me, the movie is one of the biggest pile of ups of genres and inspirations. It's a throwback to the 70s and mostly 80s thrillers and horrors, but it's also a clear homage to straight up slashers, but it's also an mystery drama, while also being a great modern action thriller and a spy/special ops movie...

It's so many things, and I think it keeps the movie spicy and interesting throughout. I personally love how it plays it serious, because all these genre mixes and whatnot makes it obvious to me it isn't dead on serious. The director knows what movie he's making and the main actor especially knows he's playing a textbook creepy guy villain type of dude. I grin and even laugh at several places, it's great. The movie puts style and entertainment first, which it does mostly through homages and sly references, but the story that creates the fundament is still solid to me. I'm invested in most of what is going on about the sister finding out, the brother bonding with the sicko and so on...

It's one of those movies that would be perfect for a grindhouse cinema type of experience. It's stylish hard-pumping action thriller horror movie and I think it's pretty great.
Yeah, you obviously like it a whole lot more than me.

Only the final act worked for me, up until that point it I'm afraid I found it a rather humdrum affair that whilst obviously not entirely serious never really broke out comedically either. I'll see how it fares on a re-watch at some point as I went into this viewing totally 'blind'.

Originally posted by The Gunslinger45:

My favorite in the entire franchise also. Funny but one line sticks out from this movie for me and that's Peter (Ken Foree) saying, "Just like to know who everybody is." He's been in the movie for about 15-20 minutes by now, and I got a bit of a feel for him, but him saying this made me really like him. He's my favorite character in the movie.
Well yeah, he was so badass in the flick he had a cameo in the remake as the preacher! He even said his line!