Movie Tab

Tools    

Super Size Me (d. Morgan Spurlock, 2004)
There's Something About Mary (d. Bobby & Peter Farrelly
Fast Times at Ridgemont High (d. Amy Heckerling, 1982) (Another Movie recommendation i liked by Holden)

Cecil B. Demented - I hated this movie, from beginning to end. Hold on, I'll be right back I'm gonna check something.. Okay, it was directed by the person who did Pink Flamingos, John Waters. I've never seen Pink Flamingos, and wanted to, but after seeing this I'm not impressed with his skills. I no longer have a want to see his past movies. The lack of quality came in large part from the writing, in my opinion, and not to my suprise it was written by him too. The dialogue and ending needs some serious work and revision, possibly from a outside unbiased person/peoples - a suggestion.

He even looks kind of wierd..

Cinema Queso - Um, you probably wont be able to see this, ever. I rent movies from this local store, and I guess they put one of their own independant productions there, and I managed to pick it up. A series of short spoofs and that's about it.

Originally Posted by PimpDaShizzle
Cecil B. Demented - I hated this movie, from beginning to end. Hold on, I'll be right back I'm gonna check something.. Okay, it was directed by the person who did Pink Flamingos, John Waters. I've never seen Pink Flamingos, and wanted to, but after seeing this I'm not impressed with his skills. I no longer have a want to see his past movies. The lack of quality came in large part from the writing, in my opinion, and not to my suprise it was written by him too. The dialogue and ending needs some serious work and revision, possibly from a outside unbiased person/peoples - a suggestion.
John Waters definitely isn't for everyone. I love his stuff, but then I'm kinda weird, too. If you didn't like cecil b. demented, you won't like Pink Flamingos either. You might want to check out a couple of his more mainstream films like Polyester or Hairspray.

Gerry (d. Gus Van Sant - 2002) Some folks love this movie. I don't. Although visually stunning at times, it can be intensely boring as well.

Mother! Oh, God! Mother! Blood!
Envy (d. Levinson, 2004)
NEW (as of 1/24/05): Quick Reviews #10

Focus [Neal Slavin, 2001] - The main character played by William Macy is able to play the type of character he does in this movie so well it makes me furious. It reminded me of his character in Fargo. This movies even got Meat Loaf in it, and we all know what that means - GENIUS.

A system of cells interlinked
Intolerable Cruelty (Coens, 2003)

Solaris (Soderbergh, 2002)

The Thin Blue Line (d. Errol Morris, 1988)

Put me in your pocket...
Tadpole (2002) ~ I liked it. Bebe Neuwirth looked fabulous and it was fun watching her...especially the dinner scene.

A Place in the Sun (1951) ~ I liked it for the most part...and parts of the ending were unbelievable to me. I liked Shelley Winters alot in this.

Igby Goes Down (d. Burr Steers, 2002)
Coffee and Cigarettes (d. Jim Jarmusch, 2003)
Rushmore (d. Wes Anderson, 1998)

Mean Girls --- I give it a 10/10, simply because I feel like it. Lindsay Lohan is growing on me, and as I was also homeschooled, I can say with certainty that this movie captured the "initiation" feel that one gets when introduced to the HS jungle. Driver's Ed at a local HS pissed me off back in the day. NEVER had I been so marginalized by adults (and never was again ). Other than that, Id say that this flick was nothing more than a cover of all those older HS movies: the same cookie cutter plot, just polished and updated for today (read: homeschool plotline vis a vis say, exchange student).

Out of all the teenybopper HS movies (She's All That, etc., etc.) this one reminded my EXTREMELY of Jawbreaker, which is definitely a MUST SEE film for anyone that gets a kick out of these kind of films. Ah....if only JB wasnt packed away, I mightve watched it for an encore.

I will say though: they have GOT to stop using ADULTS to play CHILDREN. That man had a shadow of a full beard...

Man on Fire 10/10

Sad business all around. Denzel Washington did a great job, and yet again proved that he can act his way out of a shoe. Rhada Mitchell did a great job as a mother, despite my misgivings, and surprisingly, Marc Anthony pulled it off. The plotline reminded me a lot of Spartan with Val Kilmer, which I also thought was a well done flick.

-----SPOILERS------

I was not aware that the Man on Fire story was a true story, and I did not feel that the trade at the end of the movie was an equitable trade. I understand it like I understand that it would have been completely justified for Denzel to take his gun and kill his brother, his separated wife, and his 2 small girls. Explain to me how you are NOT guilty, how you as a wife and loving mother can look your own children in the eyes when you know that you have been complicit in the hurt, harm, and damage to other children, other parents, other people? How can a person like that expect mercy of any kind?

Originally Posted by mack
I was not aware that the Man on Fire story was a true story...

It isn't.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Originally Posted by mack
Mean Girls --- I give it a 10/10, simply because I feel like it. Lindsay Lohan is growing on me, and as I was also homeschooled
"God created man on the third day, to fight the Dinosaurs and The Homosexuals. Amen"

if you liked Mean Girls i recommend Fast Times at Ridgemont High

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
Well, Parky, did you find Double Indemnity to be the classic they (and I) say it is?
Yes.

I'm currently studying film noir at my college, so me and my class got to watch it on a big screen. Just like you said, Holden, it was great.