Camo's 2018 Movie Log

→ in
Tools    

I'm looking forward to it! Didn't even know it had a sequel, interesting.
The sequel is alright if you like the first a lot but it's definitely not better. Non-spoilery stuff it ruins is that it's way better lit and more spacious than the first, this takes away the feeling of claustrophobia as well as makes it a lot more obvious they are in a studio rather than a deep, dark cave. It also shows the monsters more clearly which is not a good thing since they don't look that good. It's like the people who made it (not the same as the first) had no idea what made the first so good. It also ruins the great ending of the first and the whole thing is much more implausible which is saying something.

Keep your station clean - OR I WILL KILL YOU
The sequel is alright if you like the first a lot but it's definitely not better. Non-spoilery stuff it ruins is that it's way better lit and more spacious than the first, this takes away the feeling of claustrophobia as well as makes it a lot more obvious they are in a studio rather than a deep, dark cave. It also shows the monsters more clearly which is not a good thing since they don't look that good. It's like the people who made it (not the same as the first) had no idea what made the first so good. It also ruins the great ending of the first and the whole thing is much more implausible which is saying something.
Sounds like most horror sequels to me. Either way, the second film never tends to fracture my enjoyment of the first no matter how bad. I tend to do a good job at ignoring it. Halloween: Resurrection? Never heard of it!

movies can be okay...
I love [REC]! It's easily among my top 10 horror films of all time.
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

Not a fan of the found footage genre in general but [•REC] is definitely one of the better ones of those I've seen.

Je, Tu, Il, Elle

This was really good. It could best be described as: woman walks and crawls around naked while narrating her actions and eating from a big bag of sugar: the movie. The bag of sugar was like a character itself and it was quietly devastating when she ran out, although clearly for the best as the main danger present in this film was diabetes.

Well that's not all it is she leaves the room about half an hour in and it's so dang jarring and hard to adjust to, it's like we've been held captive with her. The thing about that part is it turns it from a minimalist, artistic documentary into an actual fictional film or at least that's how it feels. Her scenes with the trucker feel a lot more acted and staged, i dunno it worked a lot. It has much less talking at least at first and she doesn't say a word than her in the room alone and yet it feels like it's got a lot more going on simply because there's more movement and interaction.

Akerman has such a beautiful voice. Her voice is very important in keeping you focused early on before you've settled into the mood and pacing, could listen to her all day. She also really messed with my mind when she narrated that she did something...and yet she clearly didn't "the clothes i was wearing fell onto the bag of sugar. i was naked" that didn't happen stop playing with me! "i took off my sweater to get a better view" no you didn't you're still wearing it, also what view, what are you even talking about, stop it! She did actually do these things for the record it's just some times she was narrating the present then sometimes she was narrating five minutes in the future and it really messed with the flow and confused me at first, was kind of awesome. On the latter sweater one when the film caught up with her narrated actions she also snuck in a last second "and i was looking at myself" then with the tiniest of warnings we got to see her face up close looking at herself in the mirror with a creepy smile. I think there was humour in this unless i just took a lot of it the wrong way, either way i enjoyed it. Those last 20 minutes are stunning especially following the gross trucker, it's crazy how meaningful their relationship feels practically as soon as her ex is introduced. And of course nude women wrestling is never underappreciated.

Still nervous about Jeanne Dielman but that's more about the length now than anything else. Jeanne Dielman is well over twice as long as this and i'm not sure how i'll deal with this sort of thing for that long yet. Watching No Home Movie before it anyway.

movies can be okay...
What would your top ten be? Noroi: The Curse is in there i presume.
I don't know how my top 10 would look like either, but I'm sure "[REC]" would be there. I only re-watched it a couple of months ago and still loved the hell out of it. I have to see "Noroi" again to answer that, so hopefully it still holds up for me.

movies can be okay...
I started reading about Akerman a few months ago, and was intrigued by her ever since. I've had "Jeanne Dielman" ready to be seen for quite some time now, but I never got the courage to actually sit down and watch it, due to its runtime. "No Home Movie" is another one I'm anxious to see, mainly due to the subject matter being her mother.

It's sad to see the way she ended up, I read that she was quite depressed about her career, which is a shame since her filmography looks at the very least interesting to me. I also remember her saying that she wasn't fond of Juliette Binoche after the one time they collaborated, which broke my heart a little bit, since she's one of my favourite actors.

I started reading about Akerman a few months ago, and was intrigued by her ever since. I've had "Jeanne Dielman" ready to be seen for quite some time now, but I never got the courage to actually sit down and watch it, due to its runtime. "No Home Movie" is another one I'm anxious to see, mainly due to the subject matter being her mother.

It's sad to see the way she ended up, I read that she was quite depressed about her career, which is a shame since her filmography looks at the very least interesting to me. I also remember her saying that she wasn't fond of Juliette Binoche after the one time they collaborated, which broke my heart a little bit, since she's one of my favourite actors.
No Home Movie is the next one of hers i'm watching followed by Jeanne Dielman. News From Home the first one i watched also involves her mother. It's simply Akerman reading her mothers letters from home back in Belgium over shots of New York where she is living at the time. Didn't love it but it's very quietly moving.

Don't know the full details of what happened only that she was depressed, very sad. Her films aren't going to be for everyone i mean entertainment is clearly the furthest thing from her mind meaning the average person won't care, but at the very least they are important. Never knew that about Binoche she's also a favourite of mine.

The Blackcoat's Daughter

I really wanted to like this but i just didn't care. Not sure what to say about it. I thought the hotel scene between Joan and Bill was great...that was about it. The film had no atmosphere to justify its slow pace and when things actually started happening they were underwhelming. Meh.

Last five movies i watched. Can't be bothered posting about them right now, might do so later.

No Home Movie

Ouija: Origin of Evil

-

Night of the Demon

Jeanne Dielman, 23, Quai du Commerce 1080 Bruxelles

Braindead

I'm sad you didn't like Braindead. I think it's a classic.
Think i'd bump it up to a
after thinking about it. The gore was really fun and i enjoyed how absurd it all was. Think it was just absolutely not what i was expecting so it was quite jarring and took a while to get used to, plus it was so New Zealandan. The performances weren't good but i'm not sure if they were supposed to be. I didn't love it but my rating was probably a bit too harsh.

Think it was just absolutely not what i was expecting so it was quite jarring and took a while to get used to, plus it was so New Zealandan.
Same with me the first time I watched it, but I loved it with adjusted expectations later on.

Nice to see some love for Night Of The Demon, not seen it for years but although the demon isn't particularly well envisioned imo it's also not easily forgotten. I'm with the 'give Braindead another go' crowd - sure it's no better than a b-movie but it's nicely ott which makes it a good fun watch imo.

Nice to see some love for Night Of The Demon, not seen it for years but although the demon isn't particularly well envisioned imo it's also not easily forgotten.
That's the second Tourner i've seen after Out of the Past and both have been completely nuts. Both films have really twisty stories and he uses every last minute of the runtime, i'm definitely into it but it's held me back from finding a favourite yet. Liked it a good amount though. Amazing cinematography too.

I read that Tourner didn't want the monster added just alluded to but the studio went against his wishes.

Pretty sure I've never seen Out Of The Past and looking through his filmography doesn't look like I've seen much of Tourneur's work at all ..... Cat People kinda rings a bell but I couldn't swear to having seen it (if I did it was decades ago) .... a good chance I probably saw one or two of his westerns as a youngster ('cos I used to watch a boat load of those) but I couldn't swear to any from the brief synopses and if I did I'll have long forgotten them by now anyway. So .... for all intents and purposes you have me beat 2-1 Sir

Pretty sure I've never seen Out Of The Past and looking through his filmography doesn't look like I've seen much of Tourneur's work at all ..... Cat People kinda rings a bell but I couldn't swear to having seen it (if I did it was decades ago) .... a good chance I probably saw one or two of his westerns as a youngster ('cos I used to watch a boat load of those) but I couldn't swear to any from the brief synopses and if I did I'll have long forgotten them by now anyway. So .... for all intents and purposes you have me beat 2-1 Sir
He's seen as very influential to horror cinema because of Night of the Demon, I Walked With a Zombie and Cat People. Thinking about watching the latter two soon. You should check Out Of The Past out soon if you get the chance. Not sure what you think of Mitchum, he's very good in it IMO, although Jane Greer and to a lesser extent Kirk Douglas are my favourites in it. As i said it's completely nuts and convoluted even for a noir. Think it's the sort of film that could be a favourite on a rewatch, the first time was kinda disorientating since i was just expecting a standard noir.

He's seen as very influential to horror cinema because of Night of the Demon, I Walked With a Zombie and Cat People. Thinking about watching the latter two soon. You should check Out Of The Past out soon if you get the chance. Not sure what you think of Mitchum, he's very good in it IMO, although Jane Greer and to a lesser extent Kirk Douglas are my favourites in it. As i said it's completely nuts and convoluted even for a noir. Think it's the sort of film that could be a favourite on a rewatch, the first time was kinda disorientating since i was just expecting a standard noir.
I like Bob good enough - my wish-to-watch-list is getting pretty short (down to under fifteen thousand now I believe) so I'll add 'em all to it .... I might have to live forever to get round to them all but hey you never know