What was the last movie you saw at the theaters?

Tools    

Originally Posted by Holden Pike

Shadowboxer (2006 - Lee Daniels)

Woah, Momma. This is a horrible movie.

this is just a stinker to forget about (hopefully).

GRADE: D-
Thanks for the great, very funny, review

The Descent (2005 - Neil Marshall)

A UK horror flick that is just making its way to America now, this is a good old fashioned thriller. Six young women go spelunking somewhere in the Appalachain Mountains. Rather than go through one of the well-mapped caves frequented by tourists and weekend warriors, they explore an unknown, unnamed series of tunnels that lead them deeper and deeper underground. Most of the girls are experienced and adventure seekers so rah-rah, but then there's a cave-in. Next one of the girls is seriously injured. And then one of them spots something moving in the dark.

The Descent delivers more character development than you often get in the genre, and the tension builds well even before all Hell breaks loose with creepy crawlers in the darkened depths. The filmmakers do a good job at presenting the claustrophobic geography, and for me (as someone who only went slithering in a cave once to only a few hundred feet or so before I got freaked out and had to turn around) I thought there's plenty of suspense even before the creatures make their way onto the screen. Can't say there's anything especially new here, but it's well made and involving just the same. Those who go to these kinds of movies for jump-scares and Kensington Gore won't be disappointed, and it's not dumbed down or overly stylized so much that a more casual horror horror watcher can't enjoy it too.

GRADE: B-
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

CLERKS 2 for the 3rd time!
Just a dog? Porthos dreams of being a bear, and you want to shatter those dreams by saying he's just a dog? What a horrible candle-snuffing word. That's like saying, "He can't climb that mountain, he's just a man", or "That's not a diamond, it's just a rock." Just.

lasy movies ive seen recently, Descent, Pirates, Clerks 2, Miami Vice, and Monster House.

I will see any movie, even if i dont have a desire to watch them.

Originally Posted by JustAnotherUsher
lasy movies ive seen recently, Descent, Pirates, Clerks 2, Miami Vice, and Monster House.

I will see any movie, even if i dont have a desire to watch them.
was miami vice any good, my boyfriend wanted to see it?

I saw Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby. It was funny as hell. I laughed through most of it.

Originally Posted by Lil Smurf
I saw Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby. It was funny as hell. I laughed through most of it.
Same here. Talladega Nights is the last movie I saw and it's the funniest movie I've seen this year.

9/10

The last movie I saw in a theatre was The Da Vinci Code a few weeks ago, but I want to see World Trade Center now.

Just watched World Trade Center tonight. It is honestly the only movie that I cried through.

Multiple times.

When you watch this move (Since its a must) if you dont get teary-eyed, your heartless. I understand that most wont watch it because its a very disturbing and controversal topic, but it shows more in depth of what the police officers and their families went through. There are 2 scenes in the movie that in my opinion Need To Be Taken Out! I will explaine further in PM's, no need to spoil.

All in All, i give the movie a 8 out of 10

Originally Posted by JustAnotherUsher
Just watched World Trade Center tonight.

There are 2 scenes in the movie that in my opinion Need To Be Taken Out! I will explaine further in PM's, no need to spoil.
If you go to THIS thread, we're reviewing the movie there. You can certainly discuss it and use spoiler tags if you feel the need. But this is a movie site, so how about we discuss the movie in the forums out in the open rather than private messages?

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
If you go to THIS thread, we're reviewing the movie there. You can certainly discuss it and use spoiler tags if you feel the need. But this is a movie site, so how about we discuss the movie in the forums out in the open rather than private messages?
i dont kno about spoiler tags? New to this forum...sorry

Saw Miami Vice yesterday. Wasn't nearly as bad as some people were whining about. Could have been better though.

Last movie I saw was PotC 2. I liked it more than the first one. The sword fight at the end was ossum.

A system of cells interlinked
The Descent (Marshall, 2006)

Brothers of the Head (2006 - Fulton & Pepe)

Strange mix between Tommy, How to Get Ahead in Advertising and This is Spinal Tap. Unfortunately it never quite all comes together. It's a movie within a movie within a movie faux documentary about a pair of conjoined twins turned punk rock stars in '70s England. Harry and Luke Treadway star as Tom and Barry Howe, born joined at the stomach and sold by their father to a once-successful music promoter looking for a gimmick. Tom learns how to play guitar, Barry does the singing, they both write the songs and soon they are an underground sensation in the clubs. But as with most rock bands, excess of drugs, the love of the wrong girl and narrow-minded record executives conspire to keep them from becoming superstars.

The movie is presented as a present-day documentary that interviews those who knew the twins. However, most of the footage is from an unassembled documentary shot around forming their band, The Bang Bang, and their initial touring. Then there are also dramatic recreations interspersed from an unfinished Ken Russell biopic called Two-Way Romeo that played up the gothic elements of their story (Russell appears as himself in the current interview segments). Of course all of it is bullsh!t, but there are times when these three tracks playfully come together. It's played straight as if all three of these fictitious films are real, and most of the comedy comes from the juxtapositioning, as when the present-day documentarians interviewing the '70s documentarian present him trashing Russell's film for its lack of authenticity, decrying that he "should stick to Women in Love." It's all very convoluted, but the mockumentaries feel and look like real documentaries - probably helped by the fact that the co-directors, Keith Fulton & Louis Pepe, are responsible for the Terry Gilliam behind-the-scenes unmaking-of classic Lost in LaMancha, among other docs. But the balancing act between the three phony realities is too precarious to keep up for very long, and too many of the scenes are repetitious. Screenwriter Toni Grisoni (Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas) tries to adapt Sci-Fi writer Brian Aldiss' cult novel in a deconstructive Charlie Kaufmanesque fashion, but he simply doesn't pull it off. What's left is not powerful enough as a drama, and not funny enough as a comedy.

There's some good stuff in Brothers of the Head like the music, the performances and the look and tone of the '70s club scene, but despite being about conjoined twins ironically it isn't very cohesive and breaks away into a sum less than its parts.

GRADE: C+

Sanbiki No Samurai - Three Outlaw Samurai (1964 - Hideo Gosha)

Good '60s Samurai entry that borrows elements from Kurosawa's Seven Samurai, Sanjuro and Yojimbo, but what it lacks in originality it makes up for in style and fun. Tetsuro Tamba is the wise old Ronin roaming the contryside when he comes across a small village being mistreated by a callous and selfish chamberlin. In an act of desperation, the villagers have kidnapped the chamberlin's daughter (Miyuki Kuwano) in order to have their petition of grievances heard. Though initially Tamba intends only to stick around for amusement, soon his honor has him on the side of the farmers. Isamu Nagato plays a portly Ronin who has been locked up for vagrancy. He is promised freedom and a reward if he will slay a few of the villagers and return the girl. He accepts, but once there he too is fighting for the underdogs. The third Samurai of the title is played by Mikijiro Hira. He is still in the service of the chamberlin, but he knows all to well what an unpleasant snake he really is. By the final act all three have joined together to take on gangs of thugs, experienced killers and all of the chamberlin's guards. But wil the farmers rise to help them?

Director Hideo Gosha (Sword of the Beast) has a very good visual sense for frame composition and staging a swordfight, and there are a few good ones throughout. While it most definitely borrows elements from previous Samurai films, it also spins them ever so slightly and the charm of the three leads in combination with good filmmaking all adds up to a very satisfying entry.

GRADE: B+

BTW, this was a nicely cleaned-up print under the Janus Films banner, which I hope means we'll see it on Criterion DVD in the not-too-distant future.

Originally Posted by Sedai
The Descent (Marshall, 2006)
This is getting great reviews everywhere. I wanted to see it today but it's playing far away in selected theatres. Bummer.
I will before it's out of the cinemas though.

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by Escape
This is getting great reviews everywhere. I wanted to see it today but it's playing far away in selected theatres. Bummer.
I will before it's out of the cinemas though.
Yeah... I think seeing it in the cinema is a must, this one. Won't have the same impact sitting home on the couch, that's for sure....

The Adventure Starts Here!
Last film I saw was "Talladega Nights" on opening day. Funnier than I'd hoped -- the "saying grace" scene felt like an instant classic that'll be quoted for a long time.

Oh, and I think it's interesting that Holden misspelled "conjoined" twice in the same review.

Holden ... you'd know: There's some other weird, strange, quiet film about conjoined twins but they live in a dingy little apartment and some young woman helps them out. (She's not much better off herself.) Can't recall the title for the life of me. Quirky movie....