Ali G indahouse

→ in
Tools    

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Ali G is a genius who can manipulate people without ever shedding a notion of effort and can conduct panels and one on one interviews about the most absurd subjects without EVER breaking character. I don't care what anyone says, that is talent and it is funny as ****.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Originally Posted by Yoda
However, I agree; maybe it's just me, but British comedy is just so very...blah, in general.
Why you little...

You're that far from negative rep you heathen you

I'd admit that brit comedy can be very patchy, and at its worst, as bad as the worst US comedy , but my guess is you haven't seen some of the better stuff.

Some of the sharper stuff of recent years has dealt with contemporary domestic politics, like the weekly 'gameshow' Have I Got News for You and the sketch/impression show Bremner, Bird and Fortune. We can't really export them. (other celebrity/stand-up based shows, like Room 101, are just for us for the same reason )

The Day Today and Brass Eye were groundbreaking parodies of news reporting, and deserve to be considered classics.

The Office was painfully accurate (but just like Fawlty Towers, i found it to cringeworthy to sit through whole episodes ). A more surreal take on the daily grind appears in the sublime 15 Storeys High.

I can understand you finding the grimness of Brit comedy 'blah' - but at least it's more realistic than the dreamworld of Friends (as good as that show has been - and god knows it's spawned enough carbon-copies over here).

But we can do lighthearted too. I just caught an episode of a new hospital one called The Green Wing, which looks promising. It's exceptionally silly, but i think they may have carved out their own niche with it. Another recent lighthearted one was Black Books (alright, it centred on a massively misanthropic bookshop owner, but hell, we're Brits, we revel in the unavoidable wrenches of real life )

Bah, see how much you made me write.

Anyways, seen any of them, you're dismissiveness? You've had two years since that post.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
BTW, MichaelMyers. The first season (on HBO) is available on DVD here for around $30. You can get it pretty much anywhere and I highly recommend it.

i have but i only spent $20. but i cant get enough Ali G i found the other series on Ebay so i want to get those too.

i just saw this movie and i thought it was alright. it was a good stupid time with a movie. it had alot of lame jokes but im a sucker for gross out comedies like this. if your looking for a fun dumb time with your friends watch it and just dont take it too seriously.
"B*tch on a pension, suck my dong" i thought that was hilarious.

Originally Posted by MichaelMyers
i just saw this movie and i thought it was alright. it was a good stupid time with a movie. it had alot of lame jokes but im a sucker for gross out comedies like this. if your looking for a fun dumb time with your friends watch it and just dont take it too seriously.
"B*tch on a pension, suck my dong" i thought that was hilarious.
I second Myers. There were some definate chuckles through this movie. You can't aford to take him seriously for one moment coz he pretty much makes fun of everything and everyone. But yeah his shows are a lot funnier.

Big fan of early Ali G TV stuff, big hater of this movie.

It was much more like a standard (ie dreadful) 70s British sitcom bigscreen adaptation than it was like the best Ali G stuff. Lame local nonentity makes the big time story, witless smut (witless everything), an unrealistic prime minister, the queen, moronic heartwarming elements, inescapably dingy- one to avoid, even if (in fact, especially if) you are an Ali G fan.

Compare Baron-Cohen's retread of those nightmarish 70s sitcom movies with the League of Gentlemen's extraordinary ambition in their bigscreen adaptation (a film that parodied the 70s movies as a sideissue). Guess we know where the real depth of talent lay.

I've seen Ali G's HBO series...once. And that was enough.