Any Musicians Out There?

Tools    

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Love you all for posting. The world is not as big as it was yesterday, and I am really enjoying reading your backgrounds. Thanks all.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

I used to play drums in junior school and truant in senior school

I was a musician, but I haven't done anything musically (save for some dabbling for old-times sake) since mid-January of this year. I think I got burnt out or something.
I hope you’ll get the itch again eventually bro. Your music is too good.

I mess with synthesizers mostly. I’m super self-conscious of anything I produce though. Dabbled for a few years, but for the past couple of years or so, I’ve been voraciously learning and practicing. I've always been very enthusiastic about it, and feel I find more fulfillment out of making music than anything else at the moment. I work as often as I can pretty much every day, but ear problems are starting to prohibit me. Most of my music is odd but softer on the ears.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
I was tricked into playing piano as child so I could play guitar. Never happened. Piano is a great instrument, but I believe a good "teacher" will find music that inspires a pupil. It doesn't do any good to teach the classics if the person doesn't play them.

I noodle on guitar. I have some pretty good technique, but I can't really play anything, definitely no songs besides 7 Bridges Road and some Tool stuff and the intro to Top Jimmy and Stranglehold and...yeah, just noodles. I play a custom Martin step-through that I have a soap bar pickup to get fuzzy on that I love to play with a tire gauge.

I have been plucking my guitar for a year. Learnt a little bit of keyboard a longgg time ago (when I was still another person). Like listening to heavy metal but also like singing cheesy pop ballads. At the moment, since no one at work want to talk with me, I brought my acoustic guitar to the company cafeteria and pluck it when nobody is around. Sometimes even sing in the cafeteria when nobody is around, otherwise I would forget how my voice sounds.

@Joel: your song is beautiful

I hope you’ll get the itch again eventually bro. Your music is too good.

I mess with synthesizers mostly. I’m super self-conscious of anything I produce though. Dabbled for a few years, but for the past couple of years or so, I’ve been voraciously learning and practicing. I've always been very enthusiastic about it, and feel I find more fulfillment out of making music than anything else at the moment. I work as often as I can pretty much every day, but ear problems are starting to prohibit me. Most of my music is odd but softer on the ears.
I've heard Swan's stuff, too. He's good, and has a lot of really cool atmopshere happening.

Re93animator...I just found your music...and it's killer! Dark and interesting. Not sure who you're comparing it to but your production chops are right there for that vibe. What is it you'd like to be better at?

I've been mixing my own stuff for a long time and it still sounds amateur....very frustrating..and then I bring to a producer and they just never ever "get it"! Ha!

So where are all you Kats posting at? What communities? I'd love to hear stuff.

@Joel thanks for the link. Got it working finally! Interesting site. Now I know how to better stalk you. >=P

I've heard Swan's stuff, too. He's good, and has a lot of really cool atmopshere happening.

Re93animator...I just found your music...and it's killer! Dark and interesting. Not sure who you're comparing it to but your production chops are right there for that vibe. What is it you'd like to be better at?

I've been mixing my own stuff for a long time and it still sounds amateur....very frustrating..and then I bring to a producer and they just never ever "get it"! Ha!
Thank you! I'm most intent on learning theory and composition atm, but I also think my production could use quite a bit of work. I just try to hide my shortcomings. I do feel like I've grown a ton since putting up the bandcamp/soundcloud page, but I doubt I'll ever lose my desire for improvement.

If I ever get discouraged, I rekindle my appreciation for early Residents albums, and their prideful lack of musical ability.

Well, I have this page, but I'm a little reluctant to share it. Just take it easy por favor.

Thank you! I'm most intent on learning theory and composition atm, but I also think my production could use quite a bit of work. I just try to hide my shortcomings. I do feel like I've grown a ton since putting up the bandcamp/soundcloud page, but I doubt I'll ever lose my desire for improvement.

If I ever get discouraged, I rekindle my appreciation for early Residents albums, and their prideful lack of musical ability.

Well, I have this page, but I'm a little reluctant to share it. Just take it easy por favor.
I've only listened to two tracks but I love what I've heard so far. Will stream it all tomorrow from work. Great texture and layers. Thank you for sharing!

So I've learned two sites so far that I never knew about. Do you who post on such sites have a circle of friends there to ping ideas off of or to encourage or motivate each other?

I've only listened to two tracks but I love what I've heard so far. Will stream it all tomorrow from work. Great texture and layers. Thank you for sharing!
Thank you! I really appreciate that.

So I've learned two sites so far that I never knew about. Do you who post on such sites have a circle of friends there to ping ideas off of or to encourage or motivate each other?
I typically just share stuff with a small handful of friends through bandcamp and soundcloud. I mainly uploaded that stuff a while ago to give it a resting place beyond my hard drives.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I'm a musician. I started on drums at 11, and moved on to piano, guitar, bass, etc., using random footage from traveling to be able to upload.

a song from my 4th CD

Drumming in San Francisco, CA

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”

MoFo 4L

I'm a musician. I started on drums at 11, and moved on to piano, guitar, bass, etc., using random footage from traveling to be able to upload.
Ha! Great stuff, thank you for sharing.

My uncle maybe 10 years my senior played drums in his high school marching band.He had a kit the same blue as yours that he played in church and at his house when he moved out. Always was an inspiration and that was my initial drive to learn something musical.

Beginner band started for us in 5th grade, so the director called an assembly each year to demonstrate for any kid that wanted to join up. I told him I wanted to play drums like my uncle! I was a small kid btw. So he leaned down, placed his arm around my should and whispered, "In two years when you join the marching band, you're gonna be carrying that thing around..." and pointed to the largest of four marching bass drums. "You sure you want to do that?"

I picked saxophone.

I did pick up a kit and took some lessons around college but always wondered what I would have done had a stuck with it for fundamentals. Now I'm too uncoordinated and self conscious to play enough to get it back up.

4th CD, huh? Cool and grats!

I have been plucking my guitar for a year. Learnt a little bit of keyboard a longgg time ago (when I was still another person). Like listening to heavy metal but also like singing cheesy pop ballads. At the moment, since no one at work want to talk with me, I brought my acoustic guitar to the company cafeteria and pluck it when nobody is around. Sometimes even sing in the cafeteria when nobody is around, otherwise I would forget how my voice sounds.

@Joel: your song is beautiful
That's very cool. I get the metal/pop divide I love playing soundgarden but sing (try to) jeff buckley from time to time. Still pretty bashful and RARELY share myself, so the fact that you can bring a guitar to work? My respect to you.

Thank you for posting

I was tricked into playing piano as child so I could play guitar. Never happened. Piano is a great instrument, but I believe a good "teacher" will find music that inspires a pupil. It doesn't do any good to teach the classics if the person doesn't play them.

I noodle on guitar. I have some pretty good technique, but I can't really play anything, definitely no songs besides 7 Bridges Road and some Tool stuff and the intro to Top Jimmy and Stranglehold and...yeah, just noodles. I play a custom Martin step-through that I have a soap bar pickup to get fuzzy on that I love to play with a tire gauge.
"Noodle on guitar."
That's a great phrase. Love that and totally right there with you. That's a tough break on the piano bridge to guitar. I never really cared for piano myself so avoided it for as long as I could. Second year into music theory my professor was like "Hey. Have you not done a recital?" I responded "No. Am I supposed to?" He freaked and said, "As a music major, you're supposed to have a piano recital every term."

Go figure.

I told him that I had never played piano and wouldn't even know where to begin. So he started me on Marry Had a Little Lamb and I was pissed. We compromised I guess. I figured if I had to learn technique for something then I would rather it be worth the effort. So he put in front of me four pages of Moonlight Sonata. I've only ever read single note sheet music so that blew my mind. We spent the entire quarter on that damn piece, my last term at the Jr. college.

Btw, I switched majors partly as a matter of principle in that I so hated piano.

I had issues as a kid I guess. Still do. Mostly.

I used to play drums in junior school and truant in senior school
Playing truant, eh. lol

Do you ever pick up the sticks now? Drums were always the coolest to me. I hope to try again here soon with them.

Playing truant, eh. lol

Do you ever pick up the sticks now? Drums were always the coolest to me. I hope to try again here soon with them.
Ha, not for many a moon and I'm too old and decrepit now sadly.
Only thing I play now is the fool

I hope you manage to find the time and opportunity to get reacquainted with a set in the near future.

I sing, play piano, and trombone. I have a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Musical theater.
Trombone is great. My buddy played that in high school. Now that I think about it, one of my music directors primary was trombone. He was retired army band and was a secret weapon for some of us in prep for state competitions. The man was a musical genius. He would help us with sight-reading, classical, jazz, whatever we wanted. And he ran a local repair shop so he was always replacing pads in our woodwind instruments or hammering out dings we'd get from not paying attention to where we placed our instruments the previous Friday night football game.

I never could comprehend a sliding instrument and keeping in tune. Seemed an impossible task to me and hearing someone play it always put me in awe. And it just so happens to be Will Rikar's instrument of choice, so bonus points from me!

That's very cool on the degree choice. After jumping ship from jazz studies, I ended up finishing in Fine Arts: Studio Painting. That got me into graphic design and illustration some through electives which has been helpful. I wish that I had more time and space to paint now though =\