Quentin Tarantino's favourite movies?

Tools    

Hey everyone,

Just wondering does anyone have a link to an interview or a list of QT favourite movies? i'd just like to watch alot of the movies that inspired his movies thanks.

Welcome to the human race...
Check the Wikipedia entry about him. It lists his 12 favourite movies (as sourced from Sight and Sound's director's poll).

Well, the obvious ones are Game of Death (yellow jumpsuit from Kill Bill: Vol 1 and Pam Grier's blaxploitation flicks like Coffy and Foxy Brown (referenced in Jackie Brown), i'm sure Vanishing Point from Death Proof goes without saying. Pretty sure Lone Wolf and Cub as a direct influence to Kill Bill vol 1 as well.

I'm sure another way to check out his influences would be to trace the actors flimographies i.e. Sonny Chiba and Street Fighter. And just watch a lot of French New Wave.

There was a small book with interviews with Quentin in which said that some of his favorite movies are Casualties of war,The Good The Bad and The Ugly and some other films that I don't remember right now

In an interview on the Pulp Fiction DVD he says his three favourite flicks are Taxi Driver, Blow Out and Rio Bravo.

Welcome to the human race...
Tarantino's Top 12

They are, in order...

1. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
2. Rio Bravo
3. Taxi Driver
4. His Girl Friday
5. Rolling Thunder
6. They All Laughed
7. The Great Escape
8. Carrie
9. Coffy
10. Dazed and Confused
11. Five Fingers of Death
12. Hi Diddle Diddle

Yup. Thanks for that excellent contribution, not at all missing the point.

What's with the Tarantino hate Pyro?
For the record, i do enjoy his films. Anyway, i think he's incredibly over-rated, his films lack depth and are all surface. To start with Reservoir Dogs was great, Pulp Fiction was more novelty albeit very enjoyable, Jackie Brown was his best work doing a good job revising the blaxploitation genre and not too bogged down in his own non linear narratives. From here it's downhill, the fact he was cult/art house and dozens of people have since picked him up as their claim to being well versed in films and he became the token 'independent' filmmaker, people can't stop loving him for their own sake of looking intelligent (and i admit when i was younger i was guilty of this). At least in my experience. I think this has got to his ego and inflated it bigger than his forehead and he's propelled himself into mainstream and become more a figure for that than anything resembling independent; his constant cameos in through away roles like Alias. I thought that presenting Hero was a good way of bringing Asian cinema into cinemas but after shoving his name on Hostel and others, it appears as just an excuse to spread his name around and avoid speculation that he's not actually made any movies since 1997. And his final return with Kill Bill: Vol 1 was a massive example of his plagairism and taking from other sources he recycles for his own use. While Kill Bill: Vol 2 was imo his best film, it certainly proved that Kill Bill was never going to be as one film with a complete tonal shift that i didn't see working as a whole, thus cementing his move into mainstream which i don't know if he's accepted. His little Sin City snippet was too stupid for words, don't see why he deserved any credit or needed to be involved. Death Proof was a further fall, his inability to make a concept for a movie in full view and his only 'talent' was for pop culture references and lengthy dialogues that don't necessarily fit or are needed. I think it's a perfect example of his ego getting in the way of filmmaking, a Grindhouse homage should be that, not turn the experience into a vessel to distribute his own love for his writing skills and himself with gratutitous cameos in both features. Think that True Romance and Natural Born Killers are better than his latest effort.

For the record, i do enjoy his films. Anyway, i think he's incredibly over-rated, his films lack depth and are all surface.
Did anyone ever claim otherwise?
To start with Reservoir Dogs was great, Pulp Fiction was more novelty albeit very enjoyable, Jackie Brown was his best work doing a good job revising the blaxploitation genre and not too bogged down in his own non linear narratives. From here it's downhill, the fact he was cult/art house and dozens of people have since picked him up as their claim to being well versed in films and he became the token 'independent' filmmaker, people can't stop loving him for their own sake of looking intelligent (and i admit when i was younger i was guilty of this). At least in my experience.
I don't think he was ever indie/arthouse. Pulp fiction was one of the biggest films that year, and should have won a handful of Oscar's had it not been for the crowd pleaser Forrest Gump. It's not only a cult classic, it has become a 90's pop culture phenomenon with numerous other mainstream films referencing it.
I think this has got to his ego and inflated it bigger than his forehead and he's propelled himself into mainstream and become more a figure for that than anything resembling independent; his constant cameos in through away roles like Alias. I thought that presenting Hero was a good way of bringing Asian cinema into cinemas but after shoving his name on Hostel and others, it appears as just an excuse to spread his name around and avoid speculation that he's not actually made any movies since 1997.
I think you're a bit mixed up, Hostel was made in 2005, Kill Bill in 2003 and 2004. :\ And I'm not following your reasoning. You seem to have taken a serious disliking to the man simply because he's talented. He is without a doubt one of the most (in my opinion, THE most) talented, original and influential filmmakers of the past 15 years. He's not the most prolific author in the world, but so what, Terrence Malick took some 20 years off, why shouldn't Tarantino take 5? I don't think he was/is bothered, he's just enjoying himself. If anything, the fact that he appeared in such a crap show as Alias could only mean that he doesn't take himself all too seriously.
And his final return with Kill Bill: Vol 1 was a massive example of his plagairism and taking from other sources he recycles for his own use. While Kill Bill: Vol 2 was imo his best film, it certainly proved that Kill Bill was never going to be as one film with a complete tonal shift that i didn't see working as a whole, thus cementing his move into mainstream which i don't know if he's accepted.
You've completely lost me here. Again, Pulp fiction had a star cast, how was that not a mainstream film? Or Jackie Brown, or Reservoir Dogs...what are you on about mate? He's not only embraced the mainstream, he's reinvented it.
His little Sin City snippet was too stupid for words, don't see why he deserved any credit or needed to be involved. Death Proof was a further fall, his inability to make a concept for a movie in full view and his only 'talent' was for pop culture references and lengthy dialogues that don't necessarily fit or are needed. I think it's a perfect example of his ego getting in the way of filmmaking, a Grindhouse homage should be that, not turn the experience into a vessel to distribute his own love for his writing skills and himself with gratutitous cameos in both features. Think that True Romance and Natural Born Killers are better than his latest effort.
Obviously we differ, I think Death Proof is just a continuation of his brilliant work at reinventing and paying homage to his favorite genres. His dialogs are as brilliant as ever and basically carry the film. Plenty of directors have made cameo appearances in their films, are you sick of seeing his face or something? Even if his ego was bigger than Texas, aside from the cameo, how does his (alleged) infatuation with himself affect the film? He writes the way he writes, should he make films like Mike Leigh or Spielberg? He payed homage and still made it clear that this was his film....are authors now supposed to make generic drivel with no personal stamp so you wouldn't be offended by their apparent narcissism?

Did anyone ever claim otherwise? I don't think he was ever indie/arthouse. Pulp fiction was one of the biggest films that year, and should have won a handful of Oscar's had it not been for the crowd pleaser Forrest Gump. It's not only a cult classic, it has become a 90's pop culture phenomenon with numerous other mainstream films referencing it.
You asked what the hate was about. That was an answer. Arthouse may have been the wrong word but i'd have said Pulp Fiction was more independent than mainstream, initially. I never said i had anything against the film, other than it's lack of depth but even that doesn't bother me. It's the people who name drop it to sound cultured, in my experience.

Originally Posted by adi
I think your a bit mixed up, Hostel was made in 2005, Kill Bill in 2003 and 2004. :\ And I'm not following your reasoning.
The opening point was his name on Hero which i thought was a good deed, but after Hostel and people citing him as the director since his name was all over it, i look back and see Hero as a similar exercise.

Originally Posted by adi
You seem to have taken a serious disliking to the man simply because he's talented. He is without a doubt one of the most (in my opinion, THE most) talented, original and influential filmmakers of the past 15 years. He's not the most prolific author in the world, but so what, Terrence Malick took some 20 years off, why shouldn't Tarantino take 5? I don't think he was/is bothered, he's just enjoying himself. If anything, the fact that he appeared in such a crap show as Alias could only mean that he doesn't take himself all too seriously. You've completely lost me here.
Well, i don't see anything wrong with expecting a greater output before making claims like that. He's a two trick horse, all he does his referencing and dialogue, i really don't see much more to his films than that. And as i said, doesn't mean i don't enjoy them. And i also enjoyed Alias. Just think he's making/marketing an image for himself instead of from his films.

Originally Posted by adi
Again, Pulp fiction had a star cast, how was that not a mainstream film? Or Jackie Brown, or Reservoir Dogs...what are you on about mate? He's not only embraced the mainstream, he's reinvented it.
Well, obviously i wasn't too old when it came out but from watching the DVD, wouldn't have said it looked like Hollywood film, aesthetically looked quite cheap, despite it's name cast. I said they've become mainstream now but was sure they weren't heavily studio backed with a big distribution on release, of course this is just an assumption. I still feel Tarantino would rather see himself outside the mainstream than it.

Originally Posted by adi
Obviously we differ, I think Death Proof is just a continuation of his brilliant work at reinventing and paying homage to his favorite genres. His dialogs are as brilliant as ever and basically carry the film. Plenty of directors have made cameo appearances in their films, are you sick of seeing his face or something? Even if his ego was bigger than Texas, aside from the cameo, how does his (alleged) infatuation with himself affect the film? He writes the way he writes, should he make films like Mike Leigh or Spielberg? He payed homage and still made it clear that this was his film....are authors now supposed to make generic drivel with no personal stamp so you wouldn't be offended by their apparent narcissism?
Ok, onto Death Proof, his dialogues carry the film because that's the only thing that happens in the film bar the two chases. It doesn't suit the film or help it, for a Grindhouse homage he shouldn't have smothered it with his personal stamps- i'm sure Earl McGraw wasn't in any and they weren't full of self-referential dialogue and pop culture references. His dialogue was brilliant in Pulp Fiction but in Death Proof he's strained it so much and forced it's quite pretentious, not even memorable or quotable. I really don't see how he's re-invented any genre, at all, except maybe Jackie Brown which imo is his only successful genre homage and ironically an adaptation. Most directors with cameos don't have them to the extent of Tarantino's, you must agree his are somewhat egotistical. There is a line between generic drivel and self fellatio personal stamps that are laid on so heavy the eventually detract from the overall aim of the film.