Johnny Depp - better as he gets older?

Tools    

Is Johnny Depp's acting getting better with age?
97.37%
37 votes
Absolutely. He's just getting better and better.
0%
0 votes
Bring back Jump Street - Depps washed up and past it.
2.63%
1 votes
Who cares if he can act...he is HOT!
38 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Ok, Jump Street was before my time (do they ever show it on cable tho?) but he was cute in Nightmare on Elm Street (altho the clothes were out of this world LMAO) but as an actor, I thought J.D. ROCKED in Pirates of the Caribbean. Sure he was sweet eye candy too, but from an acting point of view, J.D. was IT. In my opinion he was the glue in that movie, he was so charismatic and totally into his character - he had it down. I read all about how he based his portrayal as Jack Sparrow on Keith Richards from Rolling Stones (thank GOD he looked better that that old fogey..ew) and man oh man, did he just create the most awesome, comic, vulgar, entertaining, completely captivating pirate!

I saw Edward Scissorhands recently (weird movie) and I loved J.D. in Bennie & Joon, Gilbert Grape (nice hair Leo) and he rocked in From Hell and Ninth Gate (altho I thought the movie was disappointing) but MAN - he was it in Pirates. I think he's really proving himself as an actor now. Yeah, Pirates may be a big fat commercial movie but he kept it real, at least for me. I totally dug his portrayal of Jack Sparrow.

And on the eyecandy level - I'll take one Johnny Depp over 200 Ashtons, Justins or Joshs anyday. What can I say, for a 40 year old guy, he is HOT.

i wouldn't even consider thinking of Depp as old yet....whereas the Justins and Joshs i consider baaaabies....so lets not get into the "how old are you" thing!!

yes, i think Depp is fan-bloody-tastic!!! i loooooooove him

Only for the weak
I think he's always been a good actor, I've never seen 21 Jump Street but he was even pretty decent in the first Nightmare on Elm Street. And of course he was GREAT as Edward Scisorhands, one of his best roles. Great in Ed Wood, Blow, Donnie Brasco, and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

I wouldn't say he's gotten better or worse really, pretty much always been great.

I love Johnny, I never saw Jump Street, must have a look to see if it on Pay TV.

I loved him in PIRATES, I couldn't stop laughing at his portrayal of Keith Richards as a pirate.

If I had an ideal, Johnny Depp would be the template. It's insane that someone so beautiful and sexy should be so talented. And, from the interviews I've read and seen, so completely cool.

Yeah, I f*ckin' love him, and have for most, if not all, of his career. And Pirates of the Carribean and Once Upon a Time in Mexico reminded me of just how much (and why) I love him so.

The Bear with the Funk
If were talking aobut his best performance, id would say Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Raoul Duke was just out there that i forgot it was even Depp!!! And Blow, hell im listening to the soundtrack right now, great beacase it wasnt ruined by someone else playing George.

johnny depp is one of the most talented actors in this generation, possibly ever. I would even go as far as saying he is the most underrated actor ever.
his roles are incredible.
even the last movie i saw him in he was incredible. (once upon a time in mexico.) i mustve been the only person to have enjoyed that movie. but for the 99 percent that didnt like that movie, u hafta agree with me that johnny depp still did an amazing job.
as far as his best role, i agree with fear and loathing.

Johnny Depp is definitely getting better with age. Even though Once upon a time in Mexico was an ok movie, his acting was incredible! I loved him in all of his other movies to!

He was lusciously enchanting in...........Chocolat .......

"I'm your hell, I'm your dream.......I'm nothing in between.......You know you wouldn't want it any other way".........

"Listen, when I slap you, you'll take it and like it"..........Humphrey Bogart..........Maltese Falcon.......

Graze on my lips and if those hills be dry, stray lower, where the pleasant fountains lie...........William Shakespeare.......

This thread should have been called -- Johnny Depp... finally getting the recognition he deserves for how good he has always been...

And as much as I loved him as Jack, my favorite performance by him is still Edward Scissorhands...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Originally Posted by Caitlyn
And as much as I loved him as Jack, my favorite performance by him is still Edward Scissorhands...
I am with you Cait i love this movie I have lost count how many times i have watched it.

By the way how is the wrist?

Originally Posted by nebbit
I am with you Cait i love this movie I have lost count how many times i have watched it.

By the way how is the wrist?

I watched that movie so many times I wore out a few Video tapes… and now have two copies on DVD…

Thanks for asking… the wrist is much better… only a few more weeks and the cast comes off… Yah!!!

I think that he's the best actor ever!!!
seriously!!!
if anyone had to ask me who my fave actor is i'd say him!!!
and now for the list of all the movies i've seen him in!!!
(lol)
1-edward scissorhands *and then she sat me in a chair and took off her clothes*
2- pirates of the caribbean *with human hair.... from my back!*
3- sleepy hollow *drool*
4- what's eating gilbert grape? *sob*
5- chocolat *oooh, yes please!*

and i plan to see all the others asap!
:-)
johnny, we love you!

Last 5 Movies I have Watched...
The Astral Factor-•
Bridget Jones's Diary•••
The Maltese Falcon••••
Sliding Doors•••
Battle Royale••••

Collectormania
IMDb

Bruce Campbell Groupie
Every time I see Johnny in a new film I say to myself, that's his best performance yet, proof to me that he's getting better as he's getting older.

Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
Johnny Depp has been one of my favorite actors for a good, long, time. I remember watching 21 Jump Street when FOX first started up, and he was the big Ka-Hoona back then. Then Cry-Baby came out. Not many people I know like this film, but I always have. It's one of those cult films that is an acquired taste. .
I have never seen 21 Jump Street, must look out for it on pay.

I love Cry Baby At last, I have met someone else who really likes it, I knew there was a reason why I like you,

Marks avatar always makes me think of Cry Baby.

Blow is one of his best performances, great film as well.

He appears to be getting better, he was the highlight of Once Upon a Time in Mexico, and I have yet to see Pirates....but all reports say he is great, we'll see.

Put me in your pocket...
To tell you the truth, the first movie I saw Johnny Depp in was Chocolat. After that I wanted to see more of him.
Cait had always talked about loving Edward Scissorhands so, one weekend I rented that movie along with Ed Wood. Seeing those two movies back to back blew me away (yes, I'm being dramatic, but honest ^^;; ). I'm a Johnny Depp believer now.

I'm very dissappointed that I didn't get to see him on the big screen for Pirates of the Carribean. I'll have to settle for the movie when it comes out on video/DVD.

I haven't seen What's Eating Gilbert Grape? yet. That needs to go on my 'to see' list.

Holy bombs make holy holes...
He has done nothing but impress me throughout his film career and I'm glad he's getting the attention he deserves...
Dennis: Oh king, eh, very nice. And how'd you get that eh? By exploiting the workers! By 'anging on to outdated imperialist dogma which perpetuates the economic and social differences in our society. If there's ever going to be any progress with the--
Woman: I didn't know we had a king. I thought we were an autonomous collective.

-The Holy Grail

I think he's always been talented, but IMO he plays in way better movies as he progresses. Pirates OTC was just awesome, Sleepy Hollow was also one of his best. Like I said, he doesn't become a better actor as he gets older, he just gets better parts to play to express how great of an actor he really is.
And found he was eating his shoe.