The MoFo Top 100 Film Noir Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Leave Her to Heaven was #47 on the MoFo Top 100 of the 1940s.

My #19, and one hell of a dark movie. With the scene you've pictured being one of the darkest in movie history. An unapologetically "feel bad" movie. I approve.

I liked the Stranger, especially the ending, but it just missed my list.

That's 7 I've seen so far.

My List so far:

19. Leave Her to Heaven
23. Suspicion
24. The Big Combo
25. D.O.A.

Leave Her to Heaven was #2 on my ballot!Love that film...I previously wrote this:

Leave Her To Heaven (1945)

Leave Her to Heaven has a quality to it that's hard to describe. It's a slow burn, like sipping on a glass of fine brandy. At first it's easy, mellow and smooth. Slowly there's a growing sense that something is amiss with Ellen (Gene Tierney)...but she's so beautiful in another worldly way, that we're drawn to her like a moth to a flame. Richard (Cornel Wilde) is an innocuous man, and it's easy to be in his shoes and fall for Ellen. Who wouldn't?

I love the way the film really takes the time to develop the relationship between the two. So many films rush from the first meeting, to being in love in the very next scene. The strength of Leave Her to Heaven is the way the film never rushes the story.

No one but Gene Tierney could have played this part. She gives Ellen grace, beauty and a strange ethereal quality that makes Ellen attractive and yet reprehensible all at the same time.

The other thing I love is the look of the film. The art direction is sublime. The theme of aqua is used often in the film and is associated with Ellen. In set design, aqua is considered a 'cool color' and Ellen is cold as she is beautiful.

I love the care the director put into the scenes, one that stands out is the staircase scene. We see Ellen take her time getting dressed, she picks out aqua shoes and dresses in an aqua & white print negligee, which matches the wall paper. All of this, for a particularly fatalistic event in the movie. This simply scene of getting dressed, expresses the mindset of Ellen.

I love this film.

A system of cells interlinked
Two more days of films I haven't seen...

Onward!

I've seen The Stranger but didn't vote for it. It's a solid film, but it's a weird one. In some ways, it feels like two movies: the one that Orson Welles wanted, and the one that the studio wanted, which results in some awkward shifts in terms of tone and the overall feel of the film. Still, Welles and Robinson are both pretty good, and it's a fun watch.

I haven't seen Leave Her to Heaven.

SEEN: 14/64
MY BALLOT: 6/25

My ballot  

Speaking of Welles, this is his second entry in the countdown, after Mr, Arkadin, a.k.a. Confidential Report back at #79.

Also, the 13-point gap between The Stranger and Leave Her to Heaven is the second biggest point-gap so far, after the 18-point gap from several days ago.

Probably not his last film to make the countdown either
I don't know. Do you think he has the touch for more?

1 for 2 today. I see some people were left underwhelmed by The Stranger but it checked off most of my boxes. I thought Edward G. Robinson made the movie as the laid-back yet relentless pipe smoking investigator Mr. Wilson. Welles was busy directing so maybe he didn't have the time to put his heart and soul into his character like he did with Charles Foster Kane. But his Franz Kindler/Professor Charles Rankin was still a villain worthy of building a cat and mouse, pursuer and pursued thriller around. If there was a weak link I thought maybe Loretta Young was it. Her character came off a little underwritten. Some might be able to predict the ending but it's still worth a watch.

Haven't seen Leave Her to Heaven.

35 of 64 seen so far.

I don't know. Do you think he has the touch for more?
I see what you did there.

Originally Posted by Allaby
Nah, his films aren't evil enough.
I also see what you did there.

The Stranger is a very good film. I thought Orson Welles was pretty dang evil in this one and that Robinson matched him as the force for good. But Welles would stop at nothing to keep his cover, even
WARNING: "" spoilers below
killing a dog!
Richard Long also showed up this week in the Countdown in Criss Cross as Burt Lancaster's younger brother. Glad to see The Stranger made the list.

I haven't watched Leave Her to Heaven since I was a kid but I'll never forget the scene that @Holden Pike posted. Heavy darkness, very Noir! That said, I very much need to see it again.

#4 The Big Combo List Proper List Proper #52
#6 Kansas City Confidential List Proper #53
#14 Kiss of Death List Proper List Proper #59
#15 He Walked By Night List Proper #88
#16 The Naked City List Proper #60
#22 This Gun For Hire List Proper #78
#23 The Narrow Margin List Proper #43
#25 Crossfire List Proper #51

My #19, and one hell of a dark movie. With the scene you've pictured being one of the darkest in movie history. An unapologetically "feel bad" movie. I approve.

Leave Her to Heaven is my #19 as well. An unapologetically "feel bad" movie. Is a nice turn of phrase.
The Stranger is not on my list. It is certainly a movie that I have seen an enjoyed several times. Do not disparage Loretta Young. I thought she was fine as the damsel in distress. It was only Welles character that needed beefing up.

Like all of the last 4 with 2 making my ballot

3. Rififi (#42)
6. The Strange Love of Martha Ivers (#40)
7. Body and Soul (#94)
13. Detective Story (#57)
15. Force of Evil (#85)
16 Ride the Pink Horse (#45)
20. The Blue Dahlia (#74)
23. The Stranger (#38)
24. Drunken Angel (#70)
25. The Letter (#72)

Two I liked pretty well but didn’t make my list. Leave Her To Heaven probably could have. I don’t think I every considered it and I scanned a lot of Noir lists. I don’t think these lists are making my Noir definitions any clearer, in fact I think it’s muddying the waters. So goes genre.

Two I liked pretty well but didn’t make my list. Leave Her To Heaven probably could have. I don’t think I every considered it and I scanned a lot of Noir lists. I don’t think these lists are making my Noir definitions any clearer, in fact I think it’s muddying the waters. So goes genre.
Some of the movies on the countdown are noir-ish, but not full on noir, which is OK. I've been thrilled with the results so far and the best is yet to come

I don't really remember The Wrong Man much but I've seen Leave Her to Heaven a couple of times and if Gene Tierney isn't the ultimate femme fatale in that movie I don't know who is. She's conniving, controlling and murderous and beautiful!

A pair of good films each with their own evil characters (and excellent performances). Neither made my list but both were (semi-)considered.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

The Stranger

Right from the opening scenes we are treated to Welles' signature camera angles, shadows, long shots, and unique stylistic techniques. An escaped Nazi criminal's colleague is released from prison, with the expectation by the authorities that he'll reunite with the highly sought after fugitive who is believed to be hiding in the U.S. The somber foreboding tone is set early. In fact this is one of Welles' darker films. There was hardly a smile in the entire picture.

Surprisingly Welles --as the Nazi fugitive who has established a completely new identity as a professor at a small Connecticut college-- gives himself a fairly humdrum first entry into the story, in contrast to many of his other movies. His character is introduced into the film without flourish.

But soon the colleague Konrad Meinike, played by the superb Russian cum American actor Konstantin Shayne, hooks up with Welles' Franz Kindler, who is shocked that he risked his exposure by meeting with him in person. In short order Kindler murders Meinike to avoid further recognition. These actions occupy the first 15 minutes of the picture, and Shayne is perfection in his role as the loyal but frightened Nazi.

Kindler is about to marry the daughter (Loretta Young) of a state supreme court justice, but the Nazi Hunter --in a wonderful performance by Edward G. Robinson-- figures out who Kindler is, and plots to take him down. Kindler is gradually exposed as a ruthless psychopath who is even willing to kill his new wife after he is exposed. Kindler's end provides a memorable and well filmed section of film in a clock tower that has been imitated many times by others.

It was surprising to me that Welles maintained his role as Kindler in an almost one dimensional fashion: serious, humorless, and distant. He could have imbued the character with many facets, but instead kept it very steadfast. His minor attempts at portraying Kindler as a pillar of the community, or a "right guy" were so scarce that one wonders if footage that portrayed a more well rounded character weren't edited out. In fact, upon research, editor Ernest Nims was given the order to freely cut scenes which did not advance the story. So many of Welles' explanatory and side scenes were slashed, some to the picture's detriment. Still, Welles' Kinlder was imposing, chilling, and memorable, and was probably deeply impressed upon the minds of post war American audiences.

That brings up an important point about viewing Welles' films in retrospect. Many of his pictures, and certainly his earlier ones-- were not only innovative, but very timely and fresh. For example in
The Stranger, which was shot soon after the end of WWII, people were not convinced that the Nazi concentration camps were real; and the idea that an escaped important Nazi could be living undetected in the U.S. had not occurred to people. Welles' insertion of Nazi death camp newsreel footage was a first in American films, and brought home the reality to American movie-goers. So too, the Nazi fugitive theme was unique for the era.

Therefore some in contemporary audiences aren't able to experience the impact that films like
The Stranger had at the time, so it's helpful to experience them with that in mind.

Despite Welles' agreed-to restrictions, and his contractual obligation to finish the film on time and within budget,
The Stranger is a memorable production that was not only popular in its day, but made the studios handsome profits-- a combination which may have been unique in Welles' prolific career.

I forgot the opening line.
#40 The Strange Love of Martha Ivers - Saw this unusual noir recently - great cast, with Kirk Douglas making his feature film debut, Barbara Stanwyck doing what she was so good at (playing someone evil) and the much appreciated inclusions of Van Heflin and Lizabeth Scott. That's one hell of a quartet. The story starts with 3 of the characters in childhood, and a tragedy which shadows the present-day dealings with Douglas, now D.A., and Stanwyck his wife, being filthy rich. Blackmail is suspected when Heflin saunters back to his childhood home just by chance - which sets up a conflict between ex-childhood acquaintances. I never believe it when that happens in fiction (and it happens so often) - if I were anywhere near the town I grew up in, I'd be very aware of the fact, and never passing through before realising it. Entertaining and eventful film about power and regret. Didn't vote for it.

#39 The Wrong Man - Familiar with it, but never seen it.

#38 The Stranger - Poor old war criminal Franz Kindler (Orson Welles) has a really tough time of it when Nazi-hunter Mr. Wilson (Edward G. Robinson) comes to town. Kindler has little hope, but only because this is a movie and I think we all must know which possible conclusions will follow. If I were him, I'd just have given up - he goes through so much damn anxiety in this movie I start feeling sorry for him! Directed by and starring Welles, so I had to see it. No votes though.

#37 Leave Her to Heaven - Completely unfamiliar with this one.

Seen : 13/64

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)