The MoFo Top 100 Film Noir Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I had Rififi top five in my initial list but didn't see it listed as noir on wiki or anywhere on imdb so off it went. Is this a case of it seeming like such an obvious noir that some didn't check? Or did I miss it on imdb?
Excellent question! I totally did not bother checking and went with the principle of, "if I considered it noir and loved it and it's not eligible, I'm okay with it being stricken from my ballot and just having a shorter ballot)."

So, looking now, I'm kind of surprised it's not even tagged as film-noir on imdb (given how generous it was to some neo-noir movies).

Looking at wiki...

I guess it isn't in the first sentence as the eligibility rules specified.
No comment.

Yeah Hitchcock, keep em coming! The Wrong Man is my #17. Rififi is on the mount Rushmore of my heist list but wasn't sure for this one. Elevator to the Gallows is kind of a masterpiece but no vote, it's between classic and neo genre wise. Don't mind them both placing at all though. Haven't seen The Strange Love of Martha Ivers.

SEEN 30/62
BALLOT 7/25

John-Connor's Film-Noir Top 50:  

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I had The Strange Love of Martha Ivers at #18. Stupid title, good movie.

I don't think I've seen The Wrong Man. But I might be wrong.

I've only seen three of the last 8 reveals, but one of them was on my list!

I watched Ride the Pink Horse for the 2nd 1940s Hall of Fame, but other than loving the opening, the film didn't really do much for me. This was what I wrote about it at the time:

Ride the Pink Horse (1947)
Dir. Robert Montgomery
Starring: Robert Montgomery, Wanda Hendrix, Art Smith

I really enjoyed the opening of this film. The scene at the bus shop did a great job building atmosphere and creating intrigue. I was captivated by Gagin's movements, and the unexplained context surrounding his actions. It was a very interesting start to a film I had no expectations of before hand, however I was quickly disappointed because the remainder of the film (save for a scene or two) failed to compete with those first few shots, and I was left hoping for something a little more substantial.

I think Robert Montgomery makes for a much better director than he does an actor. His silence at the beginning was great, but there was something about his performance that just didn't sit right with me. I've never seen him in anything else, so I can't tell whether or not the things I disliked about him were part of his persona, or if I just didn't like his acting here. He did make some smart choices with his direction though. I'd like to know how much of that carousel scene with the children was his idea, and how much came from the cinematographer, because it was quite brilliant and easily rivalled the bus stop scene in terms of technique and significance.

Most of the other performances were great, particularly Thomas Gomez as Pancho, however I couldn't really buy the character of Pila. I felt that she was a little uneven, and her motivations needed at least some clarification to make her appeal to me. I also found many of the sets to be rather unimpressive, though they were usually lit nicely enough to showcase that lovely noir feel. It's hard to explain, but there was this undercurrent of mystery to the film that I did rather enjoy, but the plot didn't manage to put it to good use. I didn't dislike the film, but I thought it had the potential to be so much more than it was.
Since I was really mixed on it, it's probably no surprise that it wasn't in contention for my ballot. I've also seen The Narrow Margin, but don't really remember enough about it to comment.

The Strange Love of Martha Ivers, however, was one of the last films I watched in preparation for the Countdown so it's still fairly fresh in my mind. I hadn't even heard of it before, but I saw CR mention it a few times, so I decided to add it to my watch list and I wasn't disappointed! It has a very memorable ending that helped it find a spot pretty high on my list at #9.

Seen: 20/62

My List: 6
03. Stranger on the Third Floor (1940) - #92
08. Ministry of Fear (1944) - #75
09. The Strange Love of Martha Ivers (1946) - #40
11. This Gun for Hire (1942) - #78
13. Odd Man Out (1947) - #47
19. Phantom Lady (1944) - #69

Haven't seen either film.

Ditto

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
Five rounds later, I hit 2 out of 2 again, this time both of my upper half.

#39. The Wrong Man (1956) is my #4.

I came across this film accidentally about fifteen years ago at some DVD sale. When the theme of the countdown was announced, I knew this one will be high on my list.
This is a premier league material, from start to the end. In addition, I'm a big Henry Fonda admirer.
Rewatched the movie a few months ago and liked it even more.

90/100

-----

#40. The Strange Love of Martha Ivers (1946) is my #12.

Saw this movie specially for the countdown. It was the Kirk Douglas name that brought me here.
Interesting story, well composed. I've noticed the Lizabeth Scott special expression.

80/100

-----
My Ballot

4. The Wrong Man (1956) [#39]
5. Suspicion (1941) [#49]
12. The Strange Love of Martha Ivers (1946) [#40]
21. Spellbound (1945) [#68]
23. Woman on the Run (1950) [#91]
24. High Sierra (1940) [#50]
25. Niagara (1953) [#56]

-----

The Strange Love of Martha Ivers is my #16. I love this movie. Always a good watch. It's got the peerless Barbara Stanwyck, Van Heflin(who really carries the movie), Lizabeth Scott and Kirk Douglas playing a pantywaist. It's quite a wild story. I never get tired of it.
I have never seen The Wrong Man.

2 for 2 for today.

I've seen both The Strange Love of Martha Ivers and The Wrong Man. I'd put the two at the same entertainment level. Some might prefer the powerful triumvirate of Stanwyck, Van Heflin and Douglas while others might favor the combination of Fonda, Vera Miles and Hitchcock directing. But IMO they're both equally worthy of a watch even though I'm assuming TSLoMI is the more well known of the two. If you haven't seen them do yourself a favor and take the time to check them both out.

34 of 62 seen.

The Strange Love of Martha Ivers (1946)

I’ve wondered if Paramount hadn’t taken a bit of a risk with this title, since it makes it sound like a melodramatic love story. The fact is that the picture is one of the best examples of classic down and dirty noir. The film is epic in nature, the tale beginning in 1928, and concluding in 1946. It stars
Van Heflin,Barbara Stanwyck,Lizbeth Scott(in her second film role),Judith Anderson,and Kirk Douglas(in his first). Directed by Lewis Milestone(Casablanca), and photographed by the veteran Victor Milner(The Lady Eve).

Martha Ivers (Janis Wilson, Stanwyck as an adult) is the niece of a wealthy industrialist (Anderson) who has been Martha’s guardian since the demise of her father, a man named Smith. She hates her cold domineering aunt, and tries to run away with a young rogue
friend Sam Masterson (Daryl Hickman, Heflin as an adult). The aunt has her captured and brought back telling her that she’ll never be able to escape. Another boy, Walter O’Neil, Jr. (Mickey Kuhn, Douglas as an adult), the son of her tutor, Walter O’Neil, Sr. (Roman Bohnen), is responsible for ratting out Martha’s escape.

Soon Martha attempts another escape with Sam, but Mrs. Ivers overhears them upstairs. During Mrs. Ivers’ walk up the stairway
she stumbles upon the pet cat, and starts to beat the cat with her cane. Martha and Walter Jr. appear, whereupon Martha grabs the cane and strikes Mrs. Ivers, who tumbles down the stairs to hear death. Walter Sr. appears but agrees to testify that Mrs. Ivers’ death was an accident as long as he and his son can benefit.

Years later Sam happens by the town on a trip, where he learns that Martha is now the wealthy industrialist, and that she has married Walter Jr. --who has become the town’s
district attorney-- in a pact to keep Martha’s involvement in the Ivers death a secret. Sam visits his old home which is now a boarding house, where he meets a girl who is on probation, Toni Marachek (Scott). Sam soon approaches Walter to see if he’ll rectify Toni’s legal problem, but Walter wrongly suspects Sam is blackmailing him.

What follows are several twists and entanglements which lead to a classic memorable noir ending.

The picture was a huge success, and along with
Double Indemnity two year prior, it cemented Stanwyck as one of the best femme fatales in film history. In fact she was never again to do a comedy. It was Heflin’s role in this film that made me realize what a great actor he was. Like Stanwyck, he was completely at home in any type of film. In addition this is the picture that put Kirk Douglas on the map. One can recognize the kernels of depth that he exhibited in his many subsequent films. And Lizabeth Scott
was absolutely smoldering in her portrayal of a blithe probationer who gets her man.

The success of Robert Rossen’s complex screenplay insured his future success as a director in such memorable films as All the King’s Men (1949) and The Hustler (1961).

Doc's rating: 9/10

I enjoyed The Wrong Man, as I have each and every Hitchcock picture. But it admittedly is atypical, even low tier, Hitchcock.

The film is a closely spun docudrama, unique in Hitchcock's output. It was shot using the exact locations where the story took place. Hitchcock's own fear of prison and police made it interesting for him-- to portray the story from the innocent man's point of view. The early part of the film and the shocking reveal are the highlights.

It's not widely known that Hitchcock took the film as a favor to Warner Bros. It was his last film for that company, and since the industry was in a bit of a financial slump, Hitchcock did not take a salary for directing the movie. Afterwards he returned to Paramount.

The Strange Love of Martha Ivers is, as CR can tell you, one that I've heard about since my Dad told me about since I was a kid, and for decades after. He assured me it was good, and I'm glad to see he was right, as I only just watched it a couple of weeks ago. I was hooked from minute one and glad I finally saw it. Would have placed fairly high on my list had I watched it in time. But it's good to see it make it!

I have The Wrong Man on my DVR and I had seen half of it last year till we had to get a new DVR and I lost my previous recording. I will finish it and I'm glad to see it made the Countdown.

#4 The Big Combo List Proper List Proper #52
#6 Kansas City Confidential List Proper #53
#14 Kiss of Death List Proper List Proper #59
#15 He Walked By Night List Proper #88
#16 The Naked City List Proper #60
#22 This Gun For Hire List Proper #78
#23 The Narrow Margin List Proper #43
#25 Crossfire List Proper #51

Seen both. I probably expected more from The Wrong Man so it's not particularly memorable. I thought The Strange Love of Martha Ivers was very good, script and casting of very high calibre. I like the second half better than the first and that's probably a good thing.

I thought I saw Alfred Hitchcock, but it was...

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I wasn't sure if it was a noir or not, so I didn't put it on my ballot. Here's something I wrote about it anyway:

The Wrong Man is a more grounded and less stylish Hitchcock movie, but it still cuts deep. It's based on the true story of Manny Balestreto (Henry Fonda), a New York jazz bassist and family man who is wrongly convicted of armed robbery. While his struggle to prove his innocence is compelling, this movie really succeeds in how it shows the toll that Manny's wrongful conviction takes on his family life. Vera Miles is amazing as Manny's wife Rose, whose acceptance of the blame for Manny's situation leads her to a stay in an insane asylum. Fonda is no less effective in conveying the frustration of having one's entire life crumble to pieces. The great Netflix miniseries Unbelievable, which is also about the devastating consequences of insufficient police work, likely took some cues from this movie.

#38 The Stranger (1946)

Director: Orson Welles
Production: International Pictures
Cast: Orson Welles, Edward G. Robinson, Loretta Young
124 Points, 12 Lists

'An investigator from the War Crimes Commission travels to Connecticut to find an infamous Nazi.'

#37 Leave Her to Heaven (1945)

Director: John M. Stahl
Production: Twentieth Century Fox
Cast: Gene Tierney, Cornel Wilde, Jeanne Crain
137 Points, 13 Lists

'A writer falls in love with a young socialite and they're soon married, but her obsessive love for him threatens to be the undoing of them both as well as everyone around them.'

Leave Her to Heaven was #47 on the MoFo Top 100 of the 1940s.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra