British movie (1980's) about a freshly wed couple with sexual problems

Tools    

Hello Co-members!

Could someone please help me: I can't remember the title of a British film from the 1980's or 1990's, about a freshly wed couple in a small town in England, who have trouble getting to the first sexual encounter. As I recall, it was more of a drama, than a comedy, but had a happy ending (the townsfolk saw the young couple kissing through an open window).
I would greatly appreciate any kind of help.
Thank you in advance.

Ceuta68

Is that because you are "freshly" wed, Yoda?
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Sorry for creeping you out. (English is not my mother tongue). As I recall, the problems did not arise when they were totally freshly wed (i.e. in the church itself). I think it had something to do with their abstinence from sex prior to being wed, and the problems they had when the "fruit" was no longer forbidden. Everyone had some wise advise, but I donīt remember what the solution to their problem was.

Dear Christine!

Thanks a lot! I think that!'s the film I'm looking for. And yes, I was a few decades off...and from what I read on the link you gave me, the problem was also a bit different from what I recalled. Now comes the hard part of finding the film itself.
Thanks a lot again.

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
I for one am glad there was a happy ending

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
This may not especially matter, but christine wanted to be Hayley Mills when she was a kid. Plus this flick has a Paul McCartney score, credited as "composer themes" (?).