Movie Tab II

Tools    

November Watches

I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang (Meryvn Leroy, 1932)

Mikey and Nicky (Elaine May, 1976)

Wind River (Taylor Sheridan, 2017)
-
Tabu: A Story of the South Seas (F.W. Murnau, 1931)
-
Beau Travail (Claire Denis, 1999)

Logan (James Mangold, 2017)
+
The Awful Truth (Leo McCarey, 1937)
-
John Wick: Chapter 2 (Chad Stahelski, 2017)
-
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (Tomas Alfredson, 2011)

Carlos (Olivier Assayas, 2010)

Nathan For You: Finding Frances (Nathan Fielder, 2017)

L'Atalante (Jean Vigo, 1934)

The Kid With a Bike (Dardennes, 2011)
+
Brawl in Cell Block 99 (S. Craig Zahler, 2017)

Wendy & Lucy (Kelly Reichardt, 2008)
+
Lore (Cate Shortland, 2012)
-
Brigsby Bear (Dave McCary, 2017)

The Selfish Giant (Clio Barnard, 2013)
-
13 Assassins (Takashi Miike, 2010)

The Boss Baby (Dreamworks, 2017)

Bad Genius (Nattawut Poonpiriya, 2017)

Ingrid Goes West (Matt Spicer, 2017)

Pariah (Dee Rees, 2011)
+
Life is Sweet (Mike Leigh, 1990)

Pump Up The Volume (Allan Moyle, 1990)
-
Happy Together (Wong Kar Wai, 1997)
+
Running on Empty (Sydney Lumet, 1988)

Rudy (David Anspaugh, 1993)

Through a Glass Darkly (Ingmar Bergman, 1961)

Beautiful Girls (Ted Demme, 1996)

The Childrens Hour (William Wyler, 1961)
+
River's Edge (Tim Hunter, 1987)
-
The Lion King (Disney, 1994)

Anything Else (Woody Allen, 2003)

Through The Olive Trees (Abbas Kiarostami, 1994)
+
Fat City (John Huston, 1972)

Cleo From 5 To 7 (Agnes Varda, 1962)
-
Logan Lucky (Steven Soderbergh, 2017)
-
Happiness (Agnes Varda, 1965)

Secret Agent (Alfred Hitchcock, 1936)

November Watches: 40
2017 Watches: 298

@mark f What are your thoughts behind your art house ratings? I know ratings can be random at times anyway, but I am curious how you arrive at them

I read that review even though i've not watched it (since i already know what happens pretty much) and it sounds like Mark thinks pretty highly of Cries and Whispers it's just that he doesn't particularly enjoy watching it. Correct me if i'm wrong. I can understand that a film i feel the same about is Amour.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
If the second one is arthouse rating, then the first one is a n00b rating.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

arthouse is how good it is and the other one is enjoyment

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
If a movie is good, you enjoy it more. Anything else is paradoxical.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
@mark f What are your thoughts behind your art house ratings? I know ratings can be random at times anyway, but I am curious how you arrive at them
The art house ratings are the same as my "n00b" ratings. They've been determined over decades and have evolved from my original thoughts to be extremely generous in ratings to my current manner of using as many ratings as possible while limiting the use of ratings on both the high and low end. However, specifically concerning the ratings of these two films, I feel that both are worthy of a 4-star rating for those who especially like similar films and those of major international auteurs. I've mostly refrained from posting those ratings in recent years, but I could give anyone more if they truly want them. The end of my Amarcord review basically explains both types of ratings.

Coco

It looks great as you would expect but honestly I just think I am tired of watching cartoons chase each other.

Night Moves

All the quiet and great cinematography that I have loved about Reichardt but also adds some conflict that seems mostly necessary in story telling. My second favorite of hers after Meek's Cutoff.

Three Billboards

This one shocked me as everything I had heard led me to believe I would love it. McDormand is good although I won't say as advertised. In other words this isn't her performance in Fargo. All the hate here is dialed up to 11 and the problem is there is only one character that seems properly motivated to be so. I just didn't buy the amount of cruelty here and the humor didn't work which was a big problem as well. I have called this movie dumb a couple of times and maybe that isn't fair but my expectations were sky high and this failed me big time.

Cleo From 5 To 7

I loved this. I feel like I may even be under rating it but it is definitely one of those films that I think would be appreciated more with some cultural context. On that front my ignorance didn't help but what I could see was that this is some of the great cinematography that you will witness. If you love cinema see this movie if for no other reason than that. Cleo is a beautiful character to follow around and this movie is proof that you don't need anything more than human nature to make a compelling narrative. The second film in the last couple of months that I have loved while also putting me in the mind of Breathless. Since I hated that film I certainly owe it a rewatch.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

24 Frames Per Second (Shirley Clarke, 1977)

Pegasus Vs. Chimera (John Bradshaw, 2012)

Yumeji (Seijun Suzuki, 1991)

A Christmas Carol (David Jones, 1999)

The Ghost of Christmas-Yet-to-Be shows Scrooge (Patrick Stewart) what the future could hold.
Stony Island (Andrew Davis, 1978)

Fit (Athina Rachel Tsangari, 1994)
+
A Midsummer Night’s Dream (Julie Taymor, 2015)

The Living Dead Man aka Feu Mathias Pascal (Marcel L'Herbier, 1926)

Epic adaptation of a Pirandello play about bankrupt scion Ivan Mosjoukine's life and adventures over many years and strange occurences.
Skyscraper (Shirley Clarke, 1960)

Just Wright (Sanaa Hamri, 2010)
+
The Hill (Sidney Lumet, 1965)

Dunkirk (Christopher Nolan, 2017)
+

British soldier Fionn Whitehead ducks for the incoming German planes' attack on the beach at Dunkirk.
Trans (Shirley Clarke, 1978)

The Mistle-Tones (Paul Hoen, 2012)
-
Violet (Bas Devos, 2012)

Convict 13 (Buster Keaton & Eddie Cline, 1920)
+

Golfer Buster Keaton finds himself confused with a killer, sent to prison and encounters a riot and its ringleader.
The Ice Harvest (Harold Ramis, 2005)

Knife Fight (Bill Guttentag, 2013)

Dinner for Schmucks (Jay Roach, 2010)

Due Date (Todd Phillips, 2010)

Trying to get home to his very pregnant wife and suddenly placed on the "no fly list", architect Robert Downey Jr. gets his friend Jamie Foxx to drive him and the aspiring actor (Zach Galifianakis) [in the truck bed with his dog ]who has caused lots of problems.

Convict 13 (Buster Keaton & Eddie Cline, 1920)
+

Golfer Buster Keaton finds himself confused with a killer, sent to prison and encounters a riot and its ringleader.

One of my favourite parts was Joe Roberts hitting dozens of guards with the mallet when they were running through the door to stop him . Have you got a favourite Keaton short? Mines is One Week so far, going to watch the rest of his 20's ones at least over the next week or so, also interested in the ones he starred in with Fatty Arbuckle.

November Watches

Wendy & Lucy (Kelly Reichardt, 2008)
+
The Selfish Giant (Clio Barnard, 2013)
-
Pariah (Dee Rees, 2011)
+

[/center]
I'm a bit confused at this thread. What's the difference between this and the "rate the movie you last watched"?

Anyway I really enjoyed those 3 ^

I'm a bit confused at this thread. What's the difference between this and the "rate the movie you last watched"?
Originally nothing. Suspect made the Rate The Last Movie thread before he had seen this one as you can see by his first post in that thread. Since then for some members like myself this one is for logging a large amount of films over a certain period you've watched and the other one is for posting about the one movie you just watched.

Originally nothing. Suspect made the Rate The Last Movie thread before he had seen this one as you can see by his first post in that thread. Since then for some members like myself this one is for logging a large amount of films over a certain period you've watched and the other one is for posting about the one movie you just watched.
I see. Thanks Camo.