Last great Foreign Film you saw

Tools    

I really enjoyed Bader-Mainhof Complex!

State of Seige and Z were also quite good.

Walzing with Bashir, One Day in September, and Follow Me: The Yoni Netanyahu Story were also wonderful foreign films. So was the film A Brief Vacation.

Now here's the first feature film shot entirely in Saudi Arabia, AND directed by a woman.

Wadjda (Haifaa Al-Mansour, 2012)

Neorealistic portrayal of a girl who dreams of getting herself a bicycle, which is forbidden for girls.

+

I Am Cuba (1964) by Mikhail Kalatozov

4 stories about the Cuban revolution told by the Soviet director Mikhail Kalatozov. While this is indeed propaganda, this is one of the most visually stunning movies of all-time. Highly recommended if youre keen on long takes and interested in the technical aspect of cinema. While i have only seen The Cranes Are Flying by Mikhail Kalatozov this seems to be his most visually accomplished film.

+

Lord High Filmquisitor
Most recently viewed? Battle Royale (last night), which I give an 8/10 to.

Ivan's Childhood

Great movie. A really nice introduction to Tarkovsky, gorgeously shot with a gritty and powerful tale of the loss of innocence by war. Not exactly the masterpiece I was hoping for but impressive nonetheless. 8/10

chaq686
Once were warriors from New Zeland

hangover 2

This week, it was Philomena, a true story, in which a fired reporter (Martin Sixsmith in real life), looking for a new gig, stumbles on a woman who was an unwed mother in Ireland back in the 50's. She was forcibly put into a catholic institution which used her and other similar girls/women as near slave labor, eventually selling their babies to rich clients, many in the US. The reporter digs into the story, eventually writing a book that was quite a dark revelation. Judi Dench and Steve Coogan star in the move which was filmed in England, Northern Ireland, DC and Maryland. It's not exactly an enjoyable movie, it was a revelation about the bad old days of the church in Ireland.

I'm a sucker for British costume dramas. The last one I rewatched is one of my favorites:

"Sense and Sensibility" (1995)

Directed by Ang Lee.
Screenplay by Emma Thompson...

...who won the Oscar for Adapted Screenplay...

...and deserved it.

The Hand by Jiri Trnka

Excellent stop motion animated short. There's no dialogue so no issues with language barriers or anything being lost in translation. I got turned on to this after seeing clips of it in The Story of Film: An Odyssey. Gonna have to check out other Trnka films.

Holy Motors 2012

Definitely different. Still reflecting on it days later.

Also.. 'Agora'

LOVE this movie. knowing that there's definitely some artistic license in how much is historically accurate, it's still heartbreaking example of knowledge wasted due to the political maneuverings of power hungry & disagreements of faith.Love Weisz in this. First time I've remember seeing Oscar Isaac & Max Minghella, who were great as well.

Not exactly great in the artistic sense, though it is a great example of all the tropes of otaku* media combined in 150 minutes, Nanoha The Movie 2nd:

It's significantly better than the 1st movie though. The plot is also quite complex for a 150 minute movie, given it's the plot of a manga compressed into this runtime. There is a ton of very heavy (forced even) drama. However, the amount of colorful magic rays coming out from the English and German speaking magic/electronic staffs of the flying main characters, which are powered by magic ammunition, was simply too much for me to handle at certain points. And I am a fan of this kind of thing, but here it was simply overkill: The poster actually shows a lower amount of color than you usually see on the screen at each frame of the movie. This is likely the most colorful movie I ever watched.

Theoretically this is supposed to be adult but there isn't anything here that's mature: there is not much graphic violence and no shots of nude adults. Oh yeah, I think that pedophiles are actually included as a target audience of this since there are actually shots of nude children (like this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgin_Killer). Thinking about it, comics and animation are actually good ways to handle this social group since in the west they usually watch photos and films of real children.

Still, it's significantly better than the 1st movie, so I give it 80/100. Yes, it's actually a quite powerful muscular drama movie (whose drama is more explicit than in Miyazaki and Ozu, more similar to Kurosawa's cinema) whose power is suppressed by simply too many colorful magic rays.

Interestingly, it's not listed on the critiker database even though it's the 13th top selling blu-ray disk in Japan of 2013 (sold even more than The Hobbit and Wreck it Ralph there).

*Otaku is a word used by the Japanese to designate teenagers and adult males who don't have much of a social life and dedicate their entire free time to science fiction, fantasy, comics books, anime and videogames. Basically, it's nerd in Japanese.