Is Movie Forums DYING?

Tools    

I'm big on privacy too. But I'm always happy to talk to anyone.
But you are my favorite MoFo, and always has been

Voyager kicks ass. My wife and I are exactly 3 episodes from the series finale. I watched it all when it aired, but she hadn't seen it.
Yes! another Voyager fan. I swear that show got better with each season. I don't own a lot of DVDs but I have all the ST series. I've been itching to re-watch them all again.

But you are my favorite MoFo, and always has been
Wow, thanks! I don't know what I did but I'm honored.

I can't remember how long it has been since I joined MoFo, it kinda seems like a while ago but not really? Either way I still consider myself very much a newbie in the sense that I've been here long enough to know who the really popular people are and know that I'm not one of them, .

As a general observation though, the fact this thread was started two days ago and is now 21 pages long speaks for itself! I'm glad MF isn't dying because I like it here. Everyone seems pretty cool and worth getting to know, and I look forward to checking in every day or so to see what's going on!

I can't remember how long it has been since I joined MoFo, it kinda seems like a while ago but not really? Either way I still consider myself very much a newbie in the sense that I've been here long enough to know who the really popular people are and know that I'm not one of them, .

As a general observation though, the fact this thread was started two days ago and is now 21 pages long speaks for itself! I'm glad MF isn't dying because I like it here. Everyone seems pretty cool and worth getting to know, and I look forward to checking in every day or so to see what's going on!
11-18-2014 is your joined date. You joined while I was in hiatus.

****...4 years went quick! I did recently just return from a bit of a hiatus myself though... Good to be back.

If that's what you think it's over than you are putting zero effort into understanding and resolving this issue.

Let me ask you, do you really care? You constantly insult me, belittle me, try to make me look bad, derail conversations over petty things, make glib remarks and vanish when an actual conversation starts. There are a lot of issues I have with you, and you reduce it to that? Do you have any interest in the truth of this situation at all? I really think the only thing you care about is your own ego. I hope I'm wrong, but your posts are not really trying to get at any important issues. You're evasive. I genuinely meant what I said, and you act like it's petty. I got banned because I got so angry at you and said something stupid and mean that I'm sorry for. I have never been banned on any website for such a thing ever before. Can you really ignore the significance of that? How long can you pretend there isn't a serious problem that needs to be dealt with? Why don't you want to make things right with me? Why can't we come to understand and respect each other instead of this petty rivalry?
I think that the problem is that you allow people to make you angry. You should just put the people that bother you on the ignore list and forget about it. I remember I got upset quite frequently in this forum a couple of years ago but I eventually learned that I didn't need to feel that way: I can control my feelings and my interactions.

So, now I have about a two dozen people on my ignore list and had most of them for several years in a row now. If interacting with these people is a negative experience you should not expose yourself to it.

That is an important rule for life: don't give attention to a random stranger (whether you meet then on the internet or in reality) if it doesn't add anything positive to you. That is specially true if you are sensitive person that can get easily hurt from insults (like I was).

I had 5 Swatches on my arm…
I wish Yoda would code out the ignore function. He's a people person though.

I think that the problem is that you allow people to make you angry. You should just put the people that bother you on the ignore list and forget about it. I remember I got upset quite frequently in this forum a couple of years ago but I eventually learned that I didn't need to feel that way: I can control my feelings and my interactions.

So, now I have about a two dozen people on my ignore list and had most of them for several years in a row now. If interacting with these people is a negative experience you should not expose yourself to it.

That is an important rule for life: don't give attention to a random stranger (whether you meet then on the internet or in reality) if it doesn't add anything positive to you. That is specially true if you are sensitive person that can get easily hurt from insults (like I was).
Maybe you're right. I have a lot on my mind right now... lots to think about, and changes need to be made. I think sometimes contending with them is for the benefit of other readers. Their fallacious arguments need to be adressed and refuted. I think... It is werisome at times though... But really I never have any problem dealing with it when I'm right with God. It's when I sin that I start having problems like this, so it's really not even their fault. I'm not obeying the things deep down inside that I know are right. I need to get back on track in my private life.

A system of cells interlinked
I wish Yoda would code out the ignore function. He's a people person though.
Also a free speech person. One of the most important aspects of free speech is the ability to decide whether or not you want to listen to/read something. Since the ignore feature doesn't suppress anyone's ability to post, and only the readers ability to interact, it seems like a great feature to me.

This is starting to feel slightly perfunctory.

Maybe you're exhausted because, rather than substantive debate being a constructive and invigorating process where views are challenged and reformed to account for counterarguments, it's just treated like a series of blows you need to block and counter. I can tell you, from experience, that that's much worse: it's draining rather than stimulating, and it treats insight as zero sum.

How nice for you.
I'm not sure why you say "for," as if it's something that happened to me, rather than something I did and chose. The point is that circumstances are not forcing you to adopt extreme positions or responses, and being outnumbered in political arguments is not special or unique, so I'm a little puzzled to see someone else go through the same thing and immediately decide it must mean everything is terrible and broken.

Why can't someone be humble and detail the ways the world is busted and needs to be remade? Well, technically nothing, but that's a pretty thin line to walk. It's pretty hard to have a full appreciation for how complicated the world is and how difficult its problems are and still feel confident you know what's best for it.

Am I supposed to infer from that "too" that I would've been right to think you were talking about me anyway?
I'm not sure how much it describes you. You don't elaborate on your thought process. I don't recall hearing much of anything about the internal workings of how these beliefs are formed, and I don't see much indication that if I put out a good counterargument (or even note a clear contradiction) that it's accounted for in any way the next time the topic comes up.

Who else would do it?
Obligatory:

Who else would argue with everything you don't like? Well, nobody, I guess, but most of us have made our peace with the idea that objectionable opinions will exist and not every single one of them needs to be contradicted every time. At minimum, I think the goal should be to only engage if someone is prepared to register something more substantive and persuasive than mere contradiction. Otherwise, it's not really in service of the belief, it's just to make ourselves feel better.

It probably doesn't help that most of the conservatives I do get exposed to don't exactly display much in the way of intellectual rigour.
The quality of disagreement you get is almost totally within your own control. Nearly every time I try to give you a serious and substantive discussion on any of this, a) it's really short-lived and/or b) I get a complaint about why I'm bothering to argue with you as opposed to someone else.

I don't think this is really how to consider competing ideas, anyway. Are you actually forming beliefs by just aggregating whatever forum arguments you run into and dismissing the underlying philosophy based on their quality? Because that's arguing people, not ideas. If you're considering the underlying ideas themselves, you just need to find the best formulations of it and grapple with those.

Some things you just can't be nice about, I guess.
That's fine, but your response here has shifted. You started off saying "it doesn't matter how respectful I am," and now you're saying "I can't actually be respectful about this stuff." So if you admit this stuff has to be talked about this way, why the initial confusion about why it's met with hostility?

I would think it depends on how aggressive the status quo is in the first place more so than how strongly one agrees or disagrees about whether it should continue to exist in its current form.
The salient point is that, in any situation where you treat the status quo as an aggression, you've erased any distinction between civility and attack, and that has pretty huge implications both for how you end up talking to people, and how they end up responding. You can take whatever posture you like, but I'm specifically explaining why the responses you're met with are a result of these foundational and philosophical choices, and not just something awful people are attacking you with out of nowhere.

Also, why am I not surprised that you don't exactly hold my personal views in high regard (or possibly don't get the "intellectual moorings", but like you said, that's its own discussion)?
Probably because I've straight-up told you I disagree with a lot of it. I didn't think it was a secret. I'd be surprised if you were surprised.

Anyway, I'm fairly confident I understand the intellectual moorings of the things you advocate pretty well. I think understanding the idea you're disputing on its own terms and still being able to explain why it's wrong is a prerequisite for disagreeing with it at all, let alone publicly. Which can be pretty frustrating when you see little indication that the person you're arguing with is doing the same.

As for the matter of suspending civility and debate, I'd have to ask what exactly about these particular views that you don't consider sufficiently exceptional.
Which views? A big part of the problem here, I think, is that I'm talking about a pretty wide variety of disagreements and the posture in all of them, and you're talking about, presumably, the worst of the worst. It would pay to be much more specific in a lot of these responses, I think.

You'd think so, but now everyone's arguing about the politics of the movies as well - you could start a "Is Die Hard a Christmas movie" thread now and it stands a good chance of turning into arguments over Sgt. Powell's tragic backstory ageing badly or whatever.
That's kinda my point: people are arguing about the politics of movies even when they don't really have much in the way of explicit politics. There is no neutral ground in the culture war.

The big leap comes when people decide that anything which could influence the culture, even indirectly or unquantifiably, should therefore be subject to the same level of scrutiny and debate as things which directly and explicitly do so. In other words, sure, random things in movies and TV shows change how we think. But that doesn't make them as important as community policing standards, or whatever.

That all things feed into culture is true (and this is yet another area where cultural conservatives basically were saying decades ago what progressives are suddenly championing), but it doesn't follow from that that all of them can or should be interrogated all the time for it.

Perhaps "getting on with their lives" isn't really an option in some cases.
I'm sure this is true in some cases, but I don't think most people's day to day lives are appreciably different now than they were two years ago. I think the overwhelming majority of the impact is psychological. Which is not to say it doesn't matter, but which is to say that at least some of this is self-fulfilling and elective.

Even if this were true, however, you'd be answering your own question earlier, re: why is there so much arguing and why is everything a battle. Because here, you're positing the possibility that some people have no choice but to fight on every front. You can bemoan this as awful and inevitable, but I'm not sure how you can find it confusing and surprising, given how vital you argue it is in other parts of the same post.

...the fact this thread was started two days ago and is now 21 pages long speaks for itself! I'm glad MF isn't dying because I like it here. Everyone seems pretty cool and worth getting to know, and I look forward to checking in every day or so to see what's going on!
Yup, this thread has proved that MoFo is still a happening place. It's neat that several people have came out of early retirement and started posting again Maybe we need one of these threads every few months, there like a big Christmas office party.

Mark, you've added so much to MoFo with your deep knowledge of films, and even your comment that sparked this thread has helped bring people together...and that's a good thing

Love how i have an Albums Thread Posse now who all repped this Also Yoda.
Some peeps'll go to embarrassing lengths just to get any potential ties decided in favour of the album on their list innit.

Should be ashamed of yerselves

Has Yods sent a list in yet btw????

What is it with you and cornering mods/admins about lists
Somebody needs to and they don't frighten me.

much

There's got to be a Metal Band called Banhammer out there somewhere.
Get Cat to start one