Movie Tab II

Tools    

Anybody here who truly appreciates Lost in Translation? Excellent film.

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by Dea ex machina...
Anybody here who truly appreciates Lost in Translation? Excellent film.
There are many here who like the film, a few who love it. I am in the like catagory, myself. I loved the feeling of being disconnected and lost, and I liked the performances put in by all involved. Solid cinematography. It just wasn't up my alley enough to buy or rewatch. I may catch it again, but it's not high on my list to rewatch. Welcome to MoFo btw....

Curious...Is the user name a play on words or was Deus ex Machina not available?

Meanwhile:

8 1/2 (Fellini, 1963) - I loved what I saw, but was SO tired and will start it over an rewatch in it's entirety tonight. Amazing stuff, though. I love me some surrealist film...

The name is what Donne Darko says when Seth has the knife to his throat near the end of the film outside Grandma Death's house, its how it is written in the script. What he says IS meant as Deus Ex Machina, but i quoted as it's written.

The name is what Donne Darko says when Seth has the knife to his throat near the end of the film outside Grandma Death's house, its how it is written in the script. What he says IS meant as Deus Ex Machina, but i quoted as it's written.
AH, got it. I am a big fan of DD, I must say.

Before DD i was into your bog standard uncomplex cinema films, thank god to richard kelly for showing me something completely different to open my horizon. I think Requiem for a Dream is a masterpiece, it's a fantastic film. Whats your favourite Coen film? Im a long time Fargo fan and love The Man Who Wasnt There but Millers Crossing never clicked with me.

My favorite Coen films would have to be...all of them!!

No really, It's Miller's Crossing, followed closely by Barton Fink. But really, I love all their stuff, and I think O' Brother is shot so beautifully I want to cry when I watch the ol' blind man pump away into the distance on his railcar... Fargo kicks ass, The Big Lebowski is high art...

Re: Requiem - It is Arnofsky's masterpiece, which isn;t saying much when one considers the size of his body of work. Very original, and technically brilliant. I own that one too.

Before we get smacked for hi-jacking the Movie Tab, how about you post an intro thread in the Intro section where we are free to gab about whatever.... While your at it, wondering if you have seen...

Blade Runner
Mulholland Drive
Chinatown

Hello Salem, my name's Winifred. What's yours
no films today but i finished the entire first season of dead like me, im proud of myself and yet shocked at my willingness to give up sleep for tv

history *is* moralizing
Originally Posted by Sedai
Fargo kicks ass, The Big Lebowski is high art...
and so is The Man Who Wasn't There, one of my fave movies ever.

Whats your favourite Coen film? Im a long time Fargo fan and love The Man Who Wasnt There but Millers Crossing never clicked with me.
If you want to chat about the Coen's, maybe check out some of these threads...

Best Coen Brother's Movie, Best Coen Brothers Film, and The Amazing Coen Brothers.

You can also use the search function to look up specific Coen films. Just type in the title of a film encased with "quotation mark". Have fun, and welcome to mofo.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

You ready? You look ready.
Unleashed- I just really enjoyed it.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Do you know my poetry?
The Virgin Spring, A
1960 - Ingmar Bergman

Born Into Brothels, A-
2004 - Zana Briski & Ross Kauffman

L'Avventura, B-
1960 - Michelangelo Antonioni

Originally Posted by chicagofrog
Young Adam, 2002 Scottland/France, bored me...
I liked it, but it was a slow one, all right. McGregor did a pretty good job, though. Don't you think so?

history *is* moralizing
Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
McGregor did a pretty good job, though. Don't you think so?
i don't have any specific problem with slow movies. Ghost World and The Myth Of Fingerprints count among my faves, and they're not real quick either, now are they?

McGregor, i usually don't have much of a chemistry with him, but yep, he performed really allright in this one

Can we try with real bullets now?
I watched Goodfellas earlier today for at least the tenth time and it is still one of the best movies I've ever seen

Four Brothers
(d. John Singleton - 2005)

John Singleton isn't exactly one of my favorite directors. And, while he has shown some real ability, Mark Wahlberg just gets on my nerves sometimes. But totally defying my obscenely low expectations, this flick didn't completely suck...

history *is* moralizing
Trauma, 2004 England/Man, almost as strong and as good as Memento, plus with Mena Suvari, good flick, yep!