Jacob's Strive For 100 Favorites

→ in
Tools    

I like watching movies. But as some of you can probably tell from my recent posting, I can be a very fussy eater when it comes to my taste in movies. I don't enjoy old movies very much, and movies that are '2deep4me' just don't work either.

So, as you can probably tell, making a list of favorite movies numbering 100 can be quite a challenge for me. In fact, making a list of 100 movies I consider to be the greatest movies ever made is much easier. But after seeing all these threads with members proclaiming love for the movies they love, I feel like giving it a shot too, and that I should set aside a thread where I could also list the movies I personally enjoy. Let's see if I could list down 100 movies that I could genuinely love, enjoy, and rewatch.

This thread is actually largely inspired by Sexy Celebrity's movie-listing thread. Much like him, I'll be listing my movies in no particular order. Much like SC, the listing will also be spontaneous, and there won't be any write-ups or ratings either (except maybe a short description of my feelings about the movie sometimes). Any question will be welcomed as well.

And so we begin.
“It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ****ing what." - Stephen Fry, The Guardian, 5 June 2005

#1 - Toy Story 2

Directed by John Lasseter
Released on November 24, 1999
Starring Tom Hanks as "Sheriff Woody" and Joan Cusack as "Jessie"

If there's a movie that made me feel great to be a kid again, it's any of the Toy Story movies.

I've always enjoyed Pixar movies, but only The Incredibles and all three Toy Story movies were able to make me feel exhilarated no matter how many times I watch them, and only Toy Story 2 was able to engage me both intellectually and entertainingly. Toy Story 3 came very close, but Toy Story 2 just had so many great moments that one-upped the first movie that I'm, as Syndrome put it, "still geeking out about it!"

Lord High Filmquisitor
Toy Story 2 is my favorite of the trilogy. They went in a much heavier direction than the first one and it worked out perfectly for them.

#2 - Toy Story 3

Directed by Lee Unkrich
Released on June 12, 2010
Starring Tom Hanks as "Sheriff Woody" and Ned Beatty as "Lots-O'-Huggin' Bear"

Toy Story 3 had me asking one question - what the hell happened? In a good way, of course.

Sure, Toy Story 2 had some dark moments that dealt with some mature subjects, but not only did Toy Story 3 include a prison break and a bitter version of Toy Story 1 Woody, that incinerator was such a terrifying scene as both a metaphoric and (somewhat) literal representation of a trip to Hell. I asked myself each time I watched that scene if I was really watching an animated feature that children would be watching.

But to dismiss Toy Story 3's quality as consisting of merely its darker elements is a gross understatement to Pixar's talent. The ending was arguably the greatest part of the movie as it concluded the trilogy.

And let's not forget Pixar's audacious message to children - nothing lasts forever, including your childhood.

#3 - Terminator 2: Judgment Day

Directed by James Cameron
First Released on July 1, 1991 (Century City, LA)
Starring
- Arnold Schwarzenegger as the "Terminator / T-800"
- Robert Patrick as the "T-1000"
- Linda Hamilton as "Sarah Connor"
- Edward Furlong as "John Connor"

Terminator 2 was one of the very first movies I watched that nourished me philosophically and fueled my adrenaline at the same time. And that's hard to do for blockbusters these days. They're either too shallow or too dry. It's tough to keep a good balance. But T2 managed to become a classic, with just about every of your uncles and grandfathers remembering the epic send-off of the Terminator with his thumbs-up and the emotional "I know now why you cry" that were the cause of man-tears.

It also became my template for measuring good sequels, as T2 manages to one-upped everything of the first movie, though it's arguable which one had the better message.

Toy Story is my favorite animated movie and, in my opinion, the best of the trilogy. Toy Story 2 is also great. Toy Story 3 was a little bit of a disappointment for me, but I still think it's a very good movie.

Terminator 2: Judgement Day is awesome. Possibly the best sequel ever made.

#4 - Scream (1996)

Directed by Wes Craven
First Released on December 18, 1996 (LA premiere)
Starring Neve Campbell as "Sidney Prescott"

Admittedly, while searching for screenshots for the movie online, I realized that the film has not dated that well for me, and it just isn't as exciting for me as it was back then for the first couple of viewings. But that's how thrillers work; they excite you the first time, but after several more viewings, you start to get tired of the twists that you already knew, and they ceased to be that interesting anymore.

That being said, I can't deny that Scream remains one of my favorite movies of all time, even if it's no longer among my Top 10 (or even Top 20). People grew up with Jason Voorhees, Leatherface, and Michael Myers; I grew up with Ghostface, in the meta-age of horror movies, where everyone tries to be a clever hipster. It was fun laughing at Randy Meeks' in-jokes from the movie, movie references that only a select few would understand. It was like being in the "Cool Club," even if in the end, we are only really "hipsters".

#5 - The Dark Knight (2008)

Directed by Christopher Nolan
First Released on July 14, 2008 (NY)
Starring Christian Bale as "Bruce Wayne/Batman" and Heath Ledger as The Joker

I love superhero movies. They'd always take place on such a grand, epic scale - and you couldn't get more grand or epic than The Dark Knight.

After Terminator 2, there weren't that many movies that excited me the same way "The Empire Strikes Back" or "Aliens" would excite an '80s kid, 'entertaining but intelligent movies', as I had called them. But when "The Dark Knight" came along, I was just a kid enjoying movies again. Sure, Pixar did its job animation-wise, but among live action movies, The Dark Knight redefined the ideal movie I would want to watch, the kind that I could thoroughly enjoy.

And let's face it, The Joker stole the show, and not just because of Heath Ledger's fate, bless his soul. My childhood had always been chaotic, so I grew up as a person who would have fun watching the destruction and the manipulation of The Joker, toying and mocking the social order of "normal people". He was my kind of hero, as twisted as that might sound.

And of course, The Dark Knight worked effectively as a sequel. Much like "Terminator 2" and "The Empire Strikes Back", the movie improves upon the concepts dealt with in the first movie, challenging the ideals of the characters set in the first installment, and raises the stakes higher than they were ever before.

Trouble with a capital "T"
Good looking thread!

I've only see one of these films T2...I love that film, it's powerful...darn good Sci-Fi.

T2 is also historical as it was one of the first times a woman was portrayed as a tough muscular kick-ass character. It even influenced society, after that movie women became more into body building and being/looking tough. I don't really like a woman who has bigger muscles than me But you can blame the tough girl image on T2

It’s A Classic Rope-A-Dope
I know it has become in style to hate on The Dark Knight at this point, but I have seen it three or four times at this point and still think it is fantastic.

T2 is also historical as it was one of the first times a woman was portrayed as a tough muscular kick-ass character. It even influenced society, after that movie women became more into body building and being/looking tough. I don't really like a woman who has bigger muscles than me But you can blame the tough girl image on T2
Well, muscular, yes, but the true power-girl image actually originally comes from my next entry... I have all the love for Linda Hamilton though.

"I am the ultimate badass! State of the badass art! You do NOT wanna f*** with me."

#6 - Aliens

Directed by James Cameron
Released on July 18, 1986
Starring Sigourney Weaver as "Ellen Ripley" and Carrie Henn as "Rebecca "Newt" Jorden"

Let's face it, you can't have a list of mainstream blockbusters without mentioning Terminator 2 or Aliens.

This was so much fun. Even if the visuals are a bit old, the script has not dated much, and it's still as entertaining today. So many one-liners came about from this movie, and much like its counterpart that would be released a year later, "Predator", it's a clever idea that pits a bunch of badasses that would have normally kick ass had this been any other action movie. Unfortunately for Hudson and the others, it was not.

Most of all, James Cameron gave us the Hamilton of the '80s, the OG power-girl whose motherly instinct kicks all kinds of Xeno-ass.

"Get away from her, you b****!" 'Nuff said.