Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

University Video Entries
Dracula Untold : 6.5/10

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
I said just today that I should watch Lisandro Alonso's films, so today I got started by watching his 2004 Los Muertos:

The film's opening shot initially had me worried with its selective and "artful" use of focus, but that quickly became a much more abstracted and protracted sequence reminiscent of some of my favorite moments in Godard (like the astounding opening of Passion or the second opening of In Praise of Love). While the rest of the film didn't stay in the same abstract mode, the sense of wonderment that filled that sequence never left. Alonso's camera perfectly captures the world through the eyes of someone who's re-entering it. Like a second, cautious birth with ends with the main character playing with a children's toy. Aside from momentary revelations and rhythms, the film is highly open, allegorical and symbolic. I'm very interested in seeing more from Alonso.

I don't usually rate here, but I'll give it

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
The Interview (2014)

Overlong, idiotic, juvenile, bewildering, as good as This Is the End, worth watching.
You honestly could not have said anything that would make me want to see The Interview less. I thought This Is the End was biblically atrocious!

Glad you enjoyed it though Mark

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

Dead Ringer (1964)

Bette Davis plays twin sisters in Dead Ringer. When one sister kills the other, and assumes her identity, she has to conceal her true identity from the police, the servants, the chauffeur, and two boyfriends.

This is a suspenseful thriller with a fantastic ending. Don't miss it.

Dear Heart (1964)

Dear Heart is a romantic comedy starring Glenn Ford and Geraldine Page. It's a cute movie with some fun scenes, but for some reason Glenn Ford just doesn't work for me as a romantic leading man. He seems a bit too rigid to be the guy who gets the girl. He's a bit more likable in this movie than he was in The Courtship of Eddie's Father, but he's still just a bit too cold in my opinion.

Father Goose (1964)

Cary Grant plays against type in this romantic comedy, but it works anyway. He's scruffy and disheveled, instead of his normal charming character, but he's still the same wonderful Cary Grant in another great movie.

Cary Grant plays a coast-watcher who rescues Leslie Caron and seven young schoolgirls who are stranded on an island. He brings them back to his island, and while waiting to be rescued, the two adults clash, but as expected, they eventually fall in love. There are also some tense moments when the Japanese arrive at the island.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
You need to watch Glenn Ford in The Teahouse of the August Moon and The Gazebo for better light performances in better films.

You need to watch Glenn Ford in The Teahouse of the August Moon and The Gazebo for better light performances in better films.

Thanks. I'll look for those movies. I like Glenn Ford as an actor. I just think he doesn't come off likable enough to be a good leading man in a romantic movie.

I watch a lot of rom-coms, and there's a feeling of falling in love with the leading man, but I don't get that feeling with him. I kind of wonder what the leading lady sees in him.

Lord High Filmquisitor
The Lego Movie - 8.5/10

This movie gets better the more that I see it. What should have in all honesty been a 90 minute toy commercial has oddly become one of the best, most interesting and most memorable films of the year.

Christmas Vacation (1989)

I ended up watching this with my father-in-law after dinner. I've never thought that this was anywhere close to the 1st Vacation movie, which is a favorite of mine, or even much good at all. Judging it solely as a Christmas movie, I think it's above average.

Die Hard (1988)

A classic Christmas tradition, watching this non-traditional Christmas classic!

What can I say about this without sounding cliché? We all know it, it's a great action thriller and a fun ride. Great peformances from the main cast, plenty of memorable lines, good intense action and drama. It's always a pleasure rewatching this.

But laying the "action classic" status aside for a minute, it does have its flaws, slight pacing problems and minor plotholes and misfires. I love the film (though I do prefer the third entry), but just because a film is remembered to be a milestone or whatever, I'm still going to view it as every other movie I see. That said, I'll give it a solid rating of

The Godfather Part II

A deeper movie than the first though I quite preferred the simplicity of the original, believe it or not. De Niro just added another brilliant performance to his resume and Al Pacino kicking with his cold embodiment of Don Michael Corleone. The scene at the end (where they're all sitting together) had a different feel to the rest of the film, it's like it was taken straight out of the first Godfather (that may account to Sonny), like an outtake or something. The GF II seems emotionally dead to reflect Michael's deteriorating character while GF has a sense of uplift which I can't put my finger on. Call me paranoid or whatever. Stellar film either way.

Forrest Gump

This was fine but the excessiveness doesn't support the story (army hero, stripper love interest, Elvis Presley, hippies etc. wackiness), I'd take Sling Blade's down to earth and methodical approach. Above that, they should've delved deeper into the story of Gump's Mom, they skim over her and I don't think she ever meets Jenny, now that would've made for quite the situation and dialogue. Tom Hanks was good, the film is completely watchable.

DUEL

It's on my top 100, so I obviously love DUEL and still do. Given that I watched both almost back to back, DUEL's driving scene carry great resemblance to Deliverance's rafting scenes, both intense, precise and beautiful. The rare case of a lack of character development adding to the terror in mystique of the antagonist.

Deliverance

In my top 10, as good as ever. Mark F wrote some great stuff on this film in the past and he mentioned the film is a case of "what goes around comes around", I completely agree with those sentiments. Here are these city men venturing into the outback which will soon be demolished to make way for something artificial (I assume, they never say what the river going to be turned into). Even though, these city men are not directly responsible for the imminent change, they contribute in the grand scheme of things. It's a truly great message which isn't shoved in your face. The cinematography is so natural, that's the true appeal of it, untampered and not overly edited, it's pure beauty which contrasts the dark themes.

Joe (Peter Boyle)

A forgotten films of the 70s, Peter Boyle's performance is rambunctiously great. He really nailed the rambling, bitter father in the time of hippie rise. I feel as though amateurish editing and an abrupt ending stopped it from being truly great, as well as lack of perspective on the father's daughter but nonetheless, still a very good film in the wake of other vigilante-type titles.

Thief (James Caan)

Gloomy lights and visuals, reminded of The Killing of a Chinese Bookie. Though that's really the only major plus, I have to mention I'm liking James Caan a lot, he's a bit of an underrated actor. Thief is definitely worthy of a watch, solid.

Malcom X

Denzel totally loses himself as the Detroit Red, Training Day is the only one which competes with this performance. His development from a small time hustler to one of the most powerful men in the world is fantastically believable. Spike Lee packs so much into a near four hours and it's definitely feels like you've witnessed an entire life. Easily one of the best biographical movies I've seen.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Fail-Safe (1964)

Released on the same year of Kubrick's Dr. Strangelove, Fail-Safe is a much more dramatic view upon the same subject - the Cold War and the possibility of a Nuclear Holocaust!
It's a perfect portray of what could happen if one of the sides would go to war and what would men need to sacrifice so the world would continue its life! It also raises a lot of very valid questions about technology, war and patriotism!
The acting is superb by the entire main cast and there are some very interesting bits of cinematography!
Sidney Lumet created a masterpiece that should be a lot more known!

Touch of Evil

I've wanted to watch this for a long time now, and thankfully it met my high expectations. The dark, brooding atmosphere is evocatively depicted by gloomy, sometimes haunting lighting and some of the shots are stunning. Welles embodies a monster as the cantankerous chief Quinlan. The characters that inhabit this grimy border town are all full of confliction, and this is a superb tale of corruption and border politics.

My only issue was the performance of Charlton Heston. I think he takes away from the gritty mood somewhat, but apart from that I loved it.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
A Woman Under The Influence (Cassavetes) - 8/10 - Gena Rowlands is still touching... Second time I saw this, and after watching "Love Streams" I wanted to see something by Cassavetes (I also managed a few documentaries).