How do you feel about violence in movies?

Tools    

“I was cured, all right!”
Last night I was in the movie theaters watching John Wick 2 (DAMN GOOD MOVIE). I realize that I'm not just a big fan of violence but I also start laugh with ultraviolent deaths. I was laughing alone in the theaters with every death of John Wick. Some guys was looking to me like if I was some kind of 'weirdo' (I don't care). It was not the first time but it was the first time that I realize that. My mother hates! My girfriend, friends etc just feel some kind of discomfort with ultraviolent deaths and gore. So, what about you guys? discomfort? Indifferent? Or you just start laugh like me...

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I love screen violence. I loved the violence in the first one (especially because it was a vendetta for killing his puppy), and cheered in the nightclub scene. Might have cheered during the brawl with the female assassin as well. for me fictional violence is cathartic. I'm not a violent person, and when people find out I'm a screen violence fan they're shocked, or highly amused. I'm nice to animals, kids (even big kids up to some mischief), old people, but I squeal with delight at movies like John Wick. I draw the line, though. Some things i can't handle and don't want to see. Kids getting hurt unless it's a bit of schadenfreude, animals being killed or tortured, real footage of violence and general bad sht in the world. 9/11 footage for example, I can't watch. Spins me out.

So for me fictional violence is purely escapism from real life bad sht.

Can't wait to see JW2

Depends on the context, the way it's done, the way the director chooses to portray it.

If you laughed at the infamous violent rape scene in Irreversible then I'd say there's something wrong with you. But then again, I laughed my way through most of Hacksaw Ridge.

yeah rapey stuff doesnt offend me but I can't recall ever laughing at a rape scene. I havent seen that rape in Irreversible but I have heard about it. I walked out shortly after the fire hydrant scene. I got very sick from the shaky cam and overblown score.

And I've decided after the latest episode of Black Sails I;m not handling torture scenes too well these days. the keelhauling scene left me in a mess.

and when people find out I'm a screen violence fan they're shocked, or highly amused. I'm nice to animals
Yeah! I showcase the final shootout of A Better Tomorrow 2 and some fights of The Raid to some friends. They was shocked for the violence and I was like " WTF? THIS IS AWESOME GUYS, COME ON" I'm not a violent person at all, and I'm vegetarian, for many reason, one of them, violence against animals. I trully understand the "screen violence fetish"

And I've decided after the latest episode of Black Sails I;m not handling torture scenes too well these days. the keelhauling scene left me in a mess.
Don't watch 'The Horseman' then

If you laughed at the infamous violent rape scene in Irreversible then I'd say there's something wrong with you. But then again, I laughed my way through most of Hacksaw Ridge.
Sexual violence makes me sad. I know a girl that was raped and that makes me sad everytime I saw a rape scene. But I laugh in gore, knifes stabs in the eye or ear, lots of blood, headshots, a guy smashing a dude face in the elevator with his foots.

I love violence and gore, and moreso with each passing day. I don't laugh though - it simply thrills me to the core.

Sexual violence makes me sad. I know a girl that was raped and that makes me sad everytime I saw a rape scene. But I laugh in gore, knifes stabs in the eye or ear, lots of blood, headshots, a guy smashing a dude face in the elevator with his foots.
Go nuts. That's what cinema's about

I can't recall ever laughing at a rape scene.
I guess you haven't seen The Evil Dead or Jack Frost.

Vine rape and snowman rape are kinda funny.

As to the actual topic, I enjoy violence in movies, provided that it's not actual violence against animals (Cannibal Holocaust, Andrei Rublev, that sort of thing).

I really like this topic, UV. I didnt get into extreme horror until maybe 15 years ago, but i got to the point where I felt desensitised and wanted to push myself out of my comfort zone in the fictional world. I can't watch it all the time, but in times of stress or just to blow myself out of the loungeroom in a bit of a shaky mess, I'll tell Mr Dani we're having a gruesome popcorn night. I've always loved vigilante genre, but vigilantism in the real world really upsets me. Go figure. My niece is the same. When she was about 14 she told me about some of the stuff she and her girlfriends would watch without their parents knowing. I was like Wut? But just like me when I was that age watching certain movies she said, and it was almost word for word what I had said back then 'my brain recognises the difference between real violence and make believe'. I love that kid.

Violence is essential. thats it

Don't watch 'The Horseman' then

EDIT: Oh I guess gifs don't work in spoilers then. Mods want me to remove this image?
Is that the aussie vigilante film? I saw that. Really liked it. A friend of my brother's is the director. No, it was just the recent keelhauling scene. Affected me really badly but sound tends to affect me physically when used in certain ways and the sound editing on Black Sails is excellent. There's a decapitation scene early on and the sound FX made me vomit.

I guess you haven't seen The Evil Dead or Jack Frost.

Vine rape and snowman rape are kinda funny.

As to the actual topic, I enjoy violence in movies, provided that it's not actual violence against animals (Cannibal Holocaust, Andrei Rublev, that sort of thing).
I havent seen Jack Frost but the vine rape in Evil Dead really made me feel quite unwell. I watched that one night with an older brother and we looked at each other in horror. nup. Didnt laugh.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
If you told me 'I Spit on Your Grave' was your favourite film, I'd probably ring crimestoppers. But I don't mind violence, even if it's gratuitous. I think sexual violence and the way it's depicted should be handled more delicately though, which is why I took huge issue with the likes of 'A Serbian Film'

I took huge issue with the likes of 'A Serbian Film'
I love ASF. Not in that it gave me jollies or made me laugh (yes some people on the board at the other place thought the whole thing was funny) but that it left me shattered. I want to feel something with a movie. An apathetic reaction to a film leaves me...well... bored.

movies can be okay...
Ask Michael Haneke hehehehe
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke