Same sex marriage & Polygamy

Tools    

Rule Britannia....
I have no idea what this thread is about now.
I really didn't want to go through all this, I was just asked to elaborate my views about 'the subject' on non-ignorant and non-religious way.

Sorry I have just spoken my mind.

is there any straight thread on here, where I can 'sit' and relax?

Nor is giving birth to children the sole reason for people to get married.
That would all depend on who you ask.

I have no idea what this thread is about now.
It's about 17 pages long.

Oops, make that 18.

Celluloid Temptation Facilitator
Well, you're welcome to elaborate on a non-ignorant or non-religions basis why you're against same-sex marriage "and all that stuff".

I'm not even sure what you mean by that last sentence, people are "for" same-sex marriage (and all that stuff) because of movies? Huhwhathow?

Yeah. Go figure.

Just about every movie that deals with being gay is largely a tragedy in some way. Particularly if it is based on a real life story.

These last few posts are queer (pun intended, but not in a bad way).

Seriously: This thread is about same sex marriage and polygamy yeah? Once again I say that marriage is about monogamy and I do not care what one carries between their legs. To give everything to another and only to that other is an amazing thing, that is what defines marriage to me.

These last few posts are queer (pun intended, but not in a bad way).

Seriously: This thread is about same sex marriage and polygamy yeah? Once again I say that marriage is about monogamy and I do not care what one carries between their legs. To give everything to another and only to that other is an amazing thing, that is what defines marriage to me.
I agree. I think that same sex marriage and polygamy rarely intersect anywhere but on so called entertainment news. Not sure why they were jumbled up together here.

The reason is that both represent alternative forms of relationships, which exist and need to be regulated. If or when same-sex marriage is legalized, it's reasonable to question if there are any valid reasons to deny polygamous relationships a similar kind of legal recognition and protection. The only difference is that legalizing polygamous marriages would cause significant changes to current marriage laws (so it poses a much bigger and more complicated, but not unsolvable, legal problem) unlike the legalization of homosexual marriages which requires very little intervention on the part of the legislators.

The reason is that both represent alternative forms of relationships, which exist and need to be regulated. If or when same-sex marriage is legalized, it's reasonable to question if there are any valid reasons to deny polygamous relationships a similar kind of legal recognition and protection. The only difference is that legalizing polygamous marriages would cause significant changes to current marriage laws (so it poses a much bigger and more complicated, but not unsolvable, legal problem) unlike the legalization of homosexual marriages which requires very little intervention on the part of the legislators.
The two don't relate at all. Homosexuality has become generally accepted in present society, and eventually so will homosexual marriage.

But when's the last time you saw a "polygamy pride" parade? The only time polygamists make news is when they're swept up in a raid on child brides or some of them come down out of the backhills to kill someone who broke from the clan. Polygamists run full tilt into the decades-long feminist movement. You think NOW is going to endorse the concept of 6 women kept barefoot and pregnant by 1 man in a patriarchal society??? Not likely.

Think Tiger would be in less crap now if he had married all of those women instead of just scr*wing them?

You're right in that the public thinks about the two things in very different ways, but that doesn't mean the distinction has a rational basis. The same principle that is often used to support the idea of same-sex marriage -- that all relationships between consenting adults are equally valid and we should not discriminate between them -- logically must include polygamy.

This is assuming that the arguments are applied consistently. As you point out, it's unlikely that they would be. But as Adi correctly points out, rationally most of the arguments for same-sex marriage would encompass polygamy as well.

In polygamy the issue of consent is far more at question. If you are raised in a way of life that is the only life you know, that brings the issue up. Most polygamy is in such cultist environs and not legal.

why is this unlikely to be funny ? Because I believe in something you all do not? No.
To me, religion is rubbish, I don't know why you all gay lovers etc... connects your problems with religion. If religion is fake, why even bothering to convince them otherwise?
I'm just listening to what my heart tells me. I just don't stand gays(don't be confused--cause I don't hate them-there's a big difference) and their way of living.
So am I human enough to speak my mind? What's so hard to understand that to me it isn't something normal, and it is against the nature-NOT BIBLE!
I don't wanna explain to my children in the future, why 2 men are kissing each other in the center of the city.
So let's say you got your every legal right, what's next-- Let's all unite and march the streets how pedophilia should be legal.

Apparently you're not aware of the fact that to state you can't stand something means that you despise it... which is just another word for hate....

You can fool some of the people all of the time; but you can't fool all of the people all of the time. ~ Abraham Lincoln

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Yeah, c'mon dude, the differences between homosexuality and pedophilia, whatever you think of the former, is pretty obvious.

I'm certain we've been over this either earlier in this thread or in another (I forget): this isn't an argument that homosexuality is "natural," it's an argument that the word "natural" is meaningless. Everything is a part of our natural world, thus under this logic every thing which has ever been, is, or ever will be, is "natural." Defined this way, the word has no reason to exist.

But there are plenty of reasonable definitions as to what "natural" or "unnatural" mean that need not invoke a deity or an objective morality. Biologically, for example, many species have what we classify to be natural or unnatural behavior, generally defined by the results they produce and the frequency with which each occurs. This is how things are always classified.

There are all sorts of things we all agree our bodies are made (or not made) to do that are perfectly uncontroversial. You don't put food in your ear because your body wasn't designed to ingest it that way; that's clearly an "unnatural" behavior. It doesn't mean you can't do it, and it's not a basis from which to issue a moral condemnation, but it's a clear example of an action that you're not biologically designed (through God or nature) to accommodate.

I think this is only a point of contention because of the ideological springboard it can give people who wish to condemn homosexuality, and not because there's a real disagreement about how our bodies work or whether such a thing as unnatural behavior exists.
i actually agree with this and think it is very well said. that said - not to take it back into a religious discussion, (because we've already beaten that dead horse) i do think bears mentioning for posterity and factual soundness that ideologically, the bible does actually use the word "unnatural" in Romans 1. so in this way for some, the contextual meaning of the word "natural" takes on a religious connotation as well. just a note - not to digress or disagree, but to clarify why such a statement may take on religious context.

You're right in that the public thinks about the two things in very different ways, but that doesn't mean the distinction has a rational basis. The same principle that is often used to support the idea of same-sex marriage -- that all relationships between consenting adults are equally valid and we should not discriminate between them -- logically must include polygamy.

This is assuming that the arguments are applied consistently. As you point out, it's unlikely that they would be. But as Adi correctly points out, rationally most of the arguments for same-sex marriage would encompass polygamy as well.
i disagree. in fact, lets shelve religion or some other mystical ideology for the mo. if i were an atheist, i would still be skeptical about the emotional health of a polygamous relationship on the individual. i'd go so far as to wonder whether conventional therapy, or accepted psychology would even condone such a thing.

HEALTHY?
let's clarify. i do not discuss whether one should have the right to CHOOSE polygamy here, i discuss whether such a choice would be considered generally HEALTHY for the individual (any of them!) by the leading minds of today. without knowing the nuts and bolts of the inner workings of the polygamous marriage, i assume that someone (or some few/many?) in the marriage is(are) coming up short from an individual health perspective. so as far as i'm concerned, just because one CAN, doesnt mean one SHOULD. currently, one CAN be as polyamorous, or singularly promiscuous as one wishes to be. Healthy? maybe not. Allowed? certainment!

CHOICE
so now let's look at CHOICE. how can the government simply open the floodgates on polygamous marriage when the breadth of studies and information they have on the subject shows that its mostly a flawed system? and before we get there, let me say that no - i do not agree with the sentiment that the reason we dont have a wealth of information showing how great polygamous marriage is is because...well....yknow...they won't let us be together! [sarcasm] because we all know that if only they were allowed to marry many and all, by gosh, in the doing of it alone, all those polygamous relationships would prove their case! [/sarcasm]

let's just be honest. we dont need another petri dish to study it out - we've seen it. ruffy is being acerbic, but he's right - the Mormons did it already, and many of their women might say "by choice." so have the Muslims. its a perfect case to show that just because a person says that what's happening to them, or what they are involving themselves in is ok, doesnt mean it is. perhaps i may be forgetting other incarnations of the same, but the lets all at least agree that the evidence so far is quite damning. and it is not enough to suggest that in a "perfect environment" such a union(s?) would thrive.

life isnt perfect. and if they havent thrived already under the strain of existence, then they probably wont. and there isnt enough Big Love in the world to deaden people to and marginalize the very real problems that polygamy present.

OTHER ISSUES
we havent even scratched the surface of the practicalities of polygamous marriage. suffice to say as a starting point that it is a proven fact that polygamous marriages are a financial strain on the taxpaying public. bottom line? the government has reasons wholly separate from morality or religion to ban polygamous marriages.

so no. we cannot just bundle Polygamy up with Homosexuality and paint them as one and the same. that is an incredibly narrow view that fails to comprehend the wider, and mutually exclusive issues that pertain to both.

....just my incoherent $0.02 that i hope makes sense (pun intended!) at 3:32am.

Rule Britannia....
Apparently you're not aware of the fact that to state you can't stand something means that you despise it... which is just another word for hate....

You can fool some of the people all of the time; but you can't fool all of the people all of the time. ~ Abraham Lincoln
Abraham Lincoln

Look,I really don't hate them, just as long as they do not exponent themselves so obviously in public. Exposing in general annoys me,which doesn't stand only for gays.
But to close this discussion to an end, what really pisses me off about the whole gay situation thing is: I really don't wanna see any innocent(adopted) baby into their hands.

I couldn't disagree with you more Lugburz. That really makes me angry that you don't want to see kids (presumed innocent, as if that has anything to do with it), in the hands of gay people. Why are they less in your eyes as parents? That makes no sense.

Rule Britannia....
I couldn't disagree with you more Lugburz. That really makes me angry that you don't want to see kids (presumed innocent, as if that has anything to do with it), in the hands of gay people. Why are they less in your eyes as parents? That makes no sense.
It's not just me, it's almost the whole planet Earth.

Yes, because you can accurately speak for the entire population of the planet.

That's a strong, well formed argument right there.

Rule Britannia....
Yes, because you can accurately speak for the entire population of the planet.

That's a strong, well formed argument right there.

ahh sorry, then I must be mistaken, I'm minority here,right?

ahh sorry, then I must be mistaken, I'm minority here,right?
You are doing nothing more than spewing your hate all over this thread, with nothing to back up any of your claims. So in that sense, yes, you are in the minority.