Most Overrated and underrated Directors

Tools    

I would not say he is overrated. Hasn't made a good movie since True Lies though.
Including True Lies.

That said, I wouldn't include Titanic because I liked it a lot.

I would have to agree that Spike Lee is probably the most overrated director...Do the Right Thing is his masterpiece, and I also enjoyed Malcolm X, Jungle Fever, and Get on the Bus, the rest of his work leaves me cold. As for the most underrated director, I know I'm going to get a lot of flack for this, but I have to go with Ron Howard...Splash,, Night Shift, Cocoon, Far and Away, Parenthood, Apollo 13, A Beautiful Mind,Cinderella Manand my personal favorite Ransom. As a director, this guy has taken more than his fair share of bashing on these boards, but the guy has done some impressive work.

I would have to agree that Spike Lee is probably the most overrated director
I would agree with you here too. He just gets a lot of attention because he is always at Knicks games ha. Although I did rather enjoy Inside Man, that might be my favorite Spike Lee joint, underrated flick.

I'll give you a comedy director who is massively underrated in my eyes. Mike Judge. He created Beavis and Butthead along with King Of The Hill. While I didn't much care for either one of these shows they were both quite successful. He apparently has a new show on HBO called Silicon Valley I might have to check out, it's gotten great reviews so far. I like his live action comedy a lot better. And his movies which is what we are here to talk about. He doesn't have a big filmography but I've really enjoyed all of them.

Office Space being his most well known one. But he also has Idiocracy which has gotten a lot of plays on TV lately. And his last live action comedy he did was Extract which I really enjoyed a ton. I wish he would do more movies. He really has a feel for making comedy movies that last.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

many overrated : Night Shyamalan , Tim Burton , James Cameron , Terry Gilliam (I like 1 movie from him and it's Fear and Loathing In Vegas)

underrated : James Wan , Darren Aronofski , John Landis , Guy Ritchie

In my opinion .

James Cameron is great director. True, his films are not the most refined works of art in the world but he is a former truck driver who became passionate artist after watching Star Wars who made great genre movies.

The most overrated director on this forum seems to be Martin Scorsese!

Admittedly he has made some good movies, but a lot of his output ranges from being movie turds to decent movies.

The most underrated director seems to be Jean-Luc Goddard who is often being written off as pretentious...

The most underrated director seems to be Jean-Luc Goddard who is often being written off as pretentious...
But he is pretentious. And he's overrated not underrated.

Admittedly he has made some good movies, but a lot of his output ranges from being movie turds to decent movies.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
But he is pretentious. And he's overrated not underrated.
Hollywood is far more pretentious than Godard, and he's certainly underrated on this forum. Any time someone puts Godard and pretentious together, it's up rep time.

I find Clint Eastwood overrated.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Godard's post Alphaville work is pretty underrated actually. For his sheer output and consistency over 4 decades definitely places him in the elite class of directors.
Which is sad because I think his best films in the 60s come after Alphaville, and some of his best films that I've seen of his are from the 80s. Godard has had the unique ability to basically to consistently outpace his viewers and imitators, we're still going to be trying to catch up with him and his way of thinking many many decades after his death.