Movies people can't like without losing your respect

Tools    

I know we all have different tastes in terms of what we think is best representative of cinematic genius, but i've got a mate who paid £8 for bleedin' Norbit when he could have gotten Dead Man's Shoes for £2.50. I will NEVER understand that. What's even crazier is that he has actually seen this Norbit film already.

Also, (and I know i'll cause a bit of an uproar with this) but for some reason, I just hate it when somebody mentions American History X as their favourite or one of their favourite films of all time. I don't think people get how flawed that film really is. It's also easy to see how the film can be misconstrued.

The worst thing is when people compare the likes of This Is England with American History X . It might seem like a reasonable comparison on paper, but to me, it's VERY clear which is superior.

Do you guys really believe that American History X is superior to This Is England? That's a joke. On paper it may sound like decent competition, but when you analyse the films, it is clear that This Is England has much more depth, ambition and is successful in mainting and promoting it's message.

One of the main reasons This Is England bests American History X is because it's more successful in achieving it's goals. The goal being to make people feel a sense of discouragement from racist views and stuff. Apparently that was American History X's goal;

However, the film has been looked at as a masterpiece by racist and aryans alike and it's not hard to see why. American History X suggests that there are good and valid reasons for racist behaviour. It kinda finds excuses for racism and gives racists a reason to feel like victims. This Is England does not do that at all. Rather, it paints a picture of racism as a bleak and somewhat morbid ideology...as it should be presented.

Also This Is England is a bit innovative in it's approach to skinheads, opting to go to the roots and acknowledge the black influence in it.

A VASTLY superior film to AMX indeed.

Welcome to the human race...
Prestige - have you ever heard of a movie called Romper Stomper? I reckon that might be your kind of movie.

I don't find it hard to think that This Is England is superior to the rather over rated American History X; i wonder if the film would be remembered any more than say Mississippi Burning without the curb scene.

Not a movie, but someone went to see Sky High and i asked what they thought of the excellent Bruce Campbell and they thought Bruce was the excellent Kurt Russell so i threw a shoe at them and left the conversation.

That horrible animated Hobbit film from the 70's or 80's or whatever it was.

You know - the one where they ran out of money halfway through, so a barely acceptable film for the era became a horribly mutilated stain on the history of middle-earth?

~Gabriel~

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
T
Do you guys really believe that American History X is superior to This Is England? That's a joke. On paper it may sound like decent competition, but when you analyse the films, it is clear that This Is England has much more depth, ambition and is successful in mainting and promoting it's message.
Actually, I believe they are two of the most overrated films of recent years (see Yoda's thread on 'are movies depicting prejudice overrated). But on balance, yes I prefer American History X to This Is England.

This Is... trod a fine line between interesting and naturalstic and amateurish improv. Yes, it is refreshingly different to a lot of the junk in cinemas, and it did have some good performances but I found it a bit simplistic, especially in its treatment of the Falklands. I think a lot of its appeal is in nostalgia, but it seemed to cram the fashion and music of the whole eighties into one film, and I wasn't completely convinced.

AHX is a flawed film as well, but I thought it was slicker and more entertaining, which is why I preferred it.

Lost in never never land
Alone in the Dark.

There are a lot of generally dreadful movies that basically everyone realizes is dreadful, but films like Alone in the Dark, Norbit, and other films of that ilk would cause me to lose respect for a person if they liked them. Now, if a film is entertaining yet very shallow, I am fine with them liking it, even if I don't find it great or even all that good.

Two films though that are probably considered not in that first group that I mentioned that I can't stand at all and if the person loved them and liked to watch them often I would probably stop being their friend would be "Meet the Parents" and "Meet the Fockers".
I wish, I wish he'd go away."
-From Identity

Wow....just...wow. I don't even know how to respond to that. I admit that my first thought was to wonder how old you are, and my second thought was that you're being a troll and just trying to get a rise out of me.

I want to write more, but I'm at work. Maybe at lunch time.

No, really i'm being honest if it's ok. I dont mean they are bad movies at all. I just except a lot more i guess. More action, more adventure. I like all of Hitchcock's movies: North by Northwest, Vertigo, The 39 steps, etc just not those two.