The MoFo Top 100 of the 1970s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

If that list was done now i think both Mulholland Driveand There Will Be Blood at least would be above The Dark Knight. The Millenium list was before my time but this is the list i posted after it was finished, it would be different now.

1.There Will Be Blood - Paul Thomas Anderson (2007)
2.Pan's Labyrinth - Guillermo Del Toro (2006)
3.Sweet Sixteen - Ken Loach (2002)
4.Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room - Alex Gibney (2005)
5.Mulholland Drive - David Lynch (2001)
6.The Dark Knight - Christopher Nolan (2008)
7.Team America: World Police - Trey Parker (2004)
8.City of God - Fernando Meirelles (2002)
9.Monsters Inc - Pete Docter (2001)
10.Catch Me If You Can - Steven Spielberg (2002)
11.The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King - Peter Jackson (2003)
12.Oldboy - Park Chan-wook (2003)
13.The Aviator - Martin Scorcese (2004)
14.Hero - Zhang Yimou (2002)
15.The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - Peter Jackson (2001)
16.Almost Famous - Cameron Crowe (2000)
17.The Incredibles - Brad Bird (2004)
18.Lost In Translation - Sofia Coppola (2003)
19. A History of Violence - David Cronenberg (2005)
20.King of Kong - Seth Gordon (2007)
21.Punch Drunk Love - Paul Thomas Anderson (2010)
22.Neds - Peter Mullan (2010)
23.Batman Begins - Christopher Nolan (2005)
24.Hustle & Flow - Craig Brewer (2005)
25.American Psycho - Mary Harron (2000)

1. Taxi Driver
2. The Godfather
3. Star Wars
4. Jaws
5. Chinatown
6. A Clockwork Orange
7. Alien

I don't understand why everyone thinks Taxi Driver will be #1.

I could be wrong, but I just don't feel it. I think The Shining has spoiled you guys.

I don't understand why everyone thinks Taxi Driver will be #1.

I could be wrong, but I just don't feel it. I think The Shining has spoiled you guys.
In my opinion it'll be either Taxi Driver or The Godfather. From the current crop of active posters Taxi Driver seems more popular from what i've seen though, and even though TD is my favourite The Godfather is top 10 or maybe even top 5 for me.

My prediction:

7. Alien
6. Star Wars
5. Chinatown
4. Jaws
3. A Clockwork Orange
2. Taxi Driver
1. The Godfather

My prediction for the top 7:

1. Jaws
2. The Godfather
3. Taxi Driver
4. Star Wars
5. Alien
6. Chinatown
7. A Clockwork Orange

I have predicted everything. First I predicted Jaws. The Godfather seems the most likely. Star Wars was the last one I predicted. I guess Taxi Driver is possible, but it just doesn't seem... as MAMMOTH as some of those others, even though I know it's widely beloved.

For all we know, Alien is #1. I could actually believe that.

I also would not be surprised if Chinatown is #1. Now I have never seen all of that movie, so I can't say if I like it or not, but it irritates me in a way right now. It might not if I actually saw all of it, but I'm expecting a letdown, I think because I tried to watch it once and I shut it off. But it could be #1 because this is Holden's countdown and he could have rigged it since I believe it's his favorite movie. This seems very possible to me. And also, other people might have put it high on their list just to please him because he sees all the lists. It's like how everyone included me on the Top MoFos list and I ended up being the #1 Top MoFo (thank you).

The only thing I'm sure it's not is A Clockwork Orange. Though, WHAT IF IT IS????

Or this one. Plus Clockwork is a bit more divisive than The Shining I think. I could see The Shining being a little lower down on a lot of lists. While I think Clockwork is probably super high on the Kubrick followers list, and off a whole bunch of others.

I never thought the last three films would be #1... but the rest of the movies... when I've made guesses, there were things I said wouldn't be #1, of course. But yeah. I think it's possible that any of the remaining could be #1. Somehow. It's possible. It depends on who voted.

But it will probably be The Godfather... why? Because The Godfather Part II isn't that far behind.

It's like Rocky and Rocky II. There was a big distance between those two movies. And in the '80s list, there was Back to the Future and Back to the Future Part II. Big distance between those two movies.

If there's going to be a big distance between The Godfather and The Godfather Part II, the greatest distance between those two films, if Part II is at #10... Part 1 needs to be #1.

So yeah, that's what I think will be #1. I've made my calculated decision.

It's The Godfather.

Yeah. Noone else think The Godfather is going to be number 1 SC, great calculation
I'm just making my firm decision right now after thinking about the sequel distance. Because of course it's always possible there could be a surprise #1, but right now I feel like it could only be The Godfather and anything else would be a surprise.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I have predicted everything. First I predicted Jaws. The Godfather seems the most likely. Star Wars was the last one I predicted. I guess Taxi Driver is possible, but it just doesn't seem... as MAMMOTH as some of those others, even though I know it's widely beloved.

For all we know, Alien is #1. I could actually believe that.

I also would not be surprised if Chinatown is #1. Now I have never seen all of that movie, so I can't say if I like it or not, but it irritates me in a way right now. It might not if I actually saw all of it, but I'm expecting a letdown, I think because I tried to watch it once and I shut it off. But it could be #1 because this is Holden's countdown and he could have rigged it since I believe it's his favorite movie. This seems very possible to me. And also, other people might have put it high on their list just to please him because he sees all the lists. It's like how everyone included me on the Top MoFos list and I ended up being the #1 Top MoFo (thank you).

The only thing I'm sure it's not is A Clockwork Orange. Though, WHAT IF IT IS????
It could be Chinatown also because Norman Desmond was a last minute member addition to the list. It makes perfect sense now.

By the way Sexy. Hate that movie, but your new avatar is my favorite you have had since Vader.
I think I remember this Vader avatar you speak of, because I loved it at the time. That was quite awhile ago.