The Movie Forums Top 100 Comedies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Have seen so far: 36 - Back to the Future - A good and interesting time traveling high school movie

Trading Places - Decent movie but I wouldn't consider it as a favorite though

Have not seen so far: 32

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

I forgot the opening line.
Get ready for a shock - Back to the Future was on my list! I first saw this in a cinema in 1985 with my late brother and his girlfriend. I think I was pretty impressed for the rest of the decade and consider this one of the all time bona fide classics of the genre. I had it at #9, and swear that when the film announced "To Be Continued..." we all knew it was a joke, but would have been delighted to have known it would become part of a trilogy with decent enough sequels. Michael J. Fox, Christopher Lloyd, Crispin Glover, time travel and that soundtrack. How could anyone not like that? (Okay, comedy is divisive, but I'm sure I'm not alone in my love for Back to the Future.)

Trading Places wasn't on my list, and a comedy beloved by all of my friends at the time it was popular, but I don't know why it didn't hit with me quite as hard. I picked it up the other day on DVD, so I should give it another go with the different perspective I have now. Eddie Murphy was a hero amongst us young 'uns - a hero and a rebel - lauding and yet dismissing Bill Cosby in the same breath while becoming something new, and a little more dark (but way less dark, from what we know now.) I'm sure he'll appear again on this countdown, and I'll put this down as a "not sure" as to how I feel about it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Films I've seen : 52½
Films that have been on my radar : 12½
Films I've never even heard of : 3

Films from my list : 5

#34 - My #9 - Back to the Future - (1985)
#62 - My #13 - The In-Laws - (1979)
#65 - My #21 - Black Dynamite - (2009)
#82 - My #8 - The Producers - (1967)
One pointer - Brewster McCloud (1970)

Latest Review : Mona Lisa (1986)

I can no longer remember if I guessed Trading Places a few days ago or just simply said, "it has occurred to me now that Trading Places is going to show up on this list."
I think it was only the latter.

Trivia: Back to the Future: The rights to the film and its sequels are owned by Robert Zemeckis and Bob Gale. In a 2015 interview Zemeckis maintained that no reboot or remake of the film would be authorized during his or Gale's lifetime.

Back to the Future is, in my memory, my first movie going experience. But I also have vague, questionable memories of hover bikes from Return of the Jedi in theaters (not sure if I was actually in the theater of those playing). Looking at the release dates, the Back to the Future tracks; it seems like I would have had to been too young to see Jedi, so if that isn't a false memory, or may have been a re-release, which used to be a thing.

I haven't seen Back to the Future in so long I have no idea how the comedy would actually land for me now as a much older adult (of the Zemekis movies, the one that I'm actually curious about would be Roger Rabbit).

I've seen Trading Places. I can't remember the last time I've seen Trading Places. I imagine it's at least a movie I could sit through. I'm sure there would be a few laughs. Hopefully. Maybe not. But like Stripes, it is one of those that jump to mind on, "name an 80s comedy," list (though probably more favorably).

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Do all Eddie Murphy movies look the same to you?
I actually thought I guessed Back to the Future instead of Beverly Hills Cop. It was definitely in my mind to do so and I switched to BHC last minute. Believe it.

I forget what city I was in but I was 12 when I went to see Trading Places while enduring a several hour wait for a Greyhound bus. It was an instant favorite and it's held up great. Peak Murphy and Ackroyd with a great supporting cast. I consider it to be not just a great comedy but a great movie. John Landis rules, and he could potentially have 3 more movies show up, although I didn't vote for my favorite of the bunch and I hope it doesn't show.

Back to the Future was the first movie I went to see after moving to Boston and it was a blast. I didn't vote for it here as it's been a while and I consider comedy to be just a part of it's greatness anyway.

My list-

3. Trading Places (#33)
5. Stripes (#90)
6. The Hangover (#70)
8. Vacation (#54)
9. Fast Times at Ridgemont High (#60)

Back to the Future is great, but didn't make my ballot. I have the trilogy on blu ray. Trading Places is fine, but nothing special, in my opinion. I have it on dvd as part of a 14 film Eddie Murphy box set. Still at 100 % seen, with only 4 films from my ballot making it so far.

Seen both Back To The Future and Trading Places, not surprised to see both make a showing even if it's been a while since I have and neither would have had a chance of making my ballot without a rewatch.

Seen: 36/68

Back to the Future is great and was one of my favorite movies growing up. It didn't make my ballot though. Haven't seen Trading Places.

Another twofer. I've seen Back to the Future 100 times, and after discussing it on MoFo I ended up putting it in my top 20.

I only saw Trading Places once, so I don't remember very much. All I do remember is that I liked the leads, I laughed some, and I was entertained by the plot. 85/100.

Seen 43/68.

I actually thought I guessed Back to the Future instead of Beverly Hills Cop. It was definitely in my mind to do so and I switched to BHC last minute. Believe it.
I also thought you guessed Back to the Future for some reason. Maybe you did earlier in the thread? Or maybe we have a psychic connection?

If I had made a list back when I was a kid, Back to the Future might well have been on it. Nowadays I still find it fun and nostalgic, but not enough to put it on my ballot.

If I've seen Trading Places, I don't remember it at all.

Back to the future is iconic, but I haven't seen it in ages

May have seen Trading Places as a child, but I just as well may have not

Back to the Future is a favourite of mine. It's one of those movies that I love no matter what age and it's great revisiting every now and then. Of course then you have to watch the sequels which are good fun. I had it on my list but decided to drop it for whatever reason I went with the day I sent mine in. I did not drop Trading Places, though! The best Christmas futures and commodities movie ever.

4. Sherlock, Jr. (1924)
5. Being John Malkovich (1999)
7. Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan (2006)
9. A Fish Called Wanda (1988)
10. Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (1988)
11. Superbad (2007)
13. South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (1999)
14. Playtime (1967)
15. Dazed and Confused (1993)
19. Trading Places (1983)
24. Singin' in the Rain (1952)
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

When I finally reveal my list this drum I keep banging of going for broad comedy is probably going to get a collective eye roll from mofo. As I look back at it there are definitely three or more titles that don’t quite fit that definition. I say that because BTTF wasn’t on my list, despite being in my too 100, and quite possibly my favorite movie through much of my teens. It is in serious contention for my most watched movie, more than likely wins that title. It’s forever in my head best for beat, and I find it very funny. Christopher Lloyd is hilarious, probably one of the reasons Clue was such a disappointment a couple nights ago. They didn’t utilize his zaniness at all. Had to watch a couple episodes of Taxi for a chaser. Anyway, BTTF is an all timer. Glad it’s here. Oh, if you haven’t seen it, check out John Mulaneys bit on the pitch fir BTTF. Hilarious stuff.

Watched Trading Places for this list and, unsurprisingly, didn’t find it funny at all. Never been an Akroyd fan and Murphy is okay, but way more misses than hits for me.

Donuts today