The 11th Hall of Fame

Tools    

If we were to do one Clazor it wouldn't be for a long time. 40's and 30's would be first and there's usually a Genre one inbetween those so it wouldn't be for at least 2 years.

I can't say I'd have much interest in a silents countdown. I did some exploring of silents a few years ago. I've seen quite a few but there are only three I really liked: The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, The Kid, and The General.

I can't say I'd have much interest in a silents countdown. I did some exploring of silents a few years ago. I've seen quite a few but there are only three I really liked: The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, The Kid, and The General.
I've only seen about 8 or 9; Caligari and The General are two of them and i really liked both. The only one i didn't like much was The WInd.

I can't edit that post for some reason, this is in reply to Miss Vickys post:

And i think this is going to be the general atttitude most are going to have to a SIlents one which is why i think pairing it with the 30's isn't such a bad idea. I'm down either way i just like ones with 50+ members so it isn't just a circlejerk between the regulars.

Bashu the Little Stranger (1986)/باشو غریبه کوچک
Dir. Bahram Beizai
Starring: Susan Taslimi, Adnan Afravian

At the very start of the film, I wasn't into this very much. I really could've done without the back-to-back sequences of the truck driving the entire way across the landscape. Cutting those scenes shorter wouldn't have had a negative impact on the film, so it was an odd choice for me. Then when the mother Na'i was introduced, I thought she was incredibly shrill. However she grew on me very quickly, as did her strange animal noises, and I was more than content to watch the rest of the film.

Bashu the Little Strange is, in a sense, a fish out of water story. Bashu flees his war-stricken home, only to find himself lost in an unfamiliar part of the country that is vastly different from anything he is familiar with. The language is different, the lifestyle is different, and the people form a more tight-knit community than they do in the cities. The only reminder he has of home are the apparitions of his dead parents, and PTSD flashbacks of the bombings he escaped. The actor does a great job portraying Bashu's reluctance to trust and his all-consuming fear, but I ultimately felt more for Na'i, as she struggled to make Bashu part of her family despite unwelcoming neighbours and an inability to communicate with him.

I enjoyed the story, and I rather liked the symmetry of having Bashu look after Na'i the way she looked after him. I think that scene really showed how much their bond had grown, and how much Bashu had learned since he started staying there. I was a little less interested in the film after that point, but overall I thought it was very well done.

That was the last film left for me to see. I'll probably watch Embrace the Serpent at some point as well just out of curiosity, but I'm going to prioritise the Sci-Fi Countdown and Animation HoF first.

That was the last film left for me to see. I'll probably watch Embrace the Serpent at some point as well just out of curiosity, but I'm going to prioritise the Sci-Fi Countdown and Animation HoF first.
Yeah. it kinda kils me when this is treated like a review dump.

I assume he meant when people are absent from the thread except to post their reviews. No attempts to discuss or converse with the other members, just dropping off their review and running. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's what I thought when I read that post this morning.

I assume he meant when people are absent from the thread except to post their reviews. No attempts to discuss or converse with the other members, just dropping off their review and running. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's what I thought when I read that post this morning.
Yep, exactly.

And that's kind of true, and no accusations or blame games, but the host should after all - and first of all, before others - encourage a discussion... try to start a conversation, state a thought or feeling, you know, something like that...

This we could all do, of course, but since the host was the one who came with that little flick in our direction, it is only fitting we flick back.

Yep, exactly.

And that's kind of true, and no accusations or blame games, but the host should after all - and first of all, before others - encourage a discussion... try to start a conversation, state a thought or feeling, you know, something like that...

This we could all do, of course, but since the host was the one who came with that little flick in our direction, it is only fitting we flick back.
IMO, Camo has done a fine job as host, and has talked to the members and tried to get the conversation going just as much as other Hof host have done.

Many of the Hofs I've been in, have been slow, as people post a review but don't really interact much. In the old days of the Hofs people really were excited and talked and debated and made them fun. But the Host can only do so much to get the ball rolling, as this is a group effort, so it's up to all of us to make it lively.

IMO, Camo has done a fine job as host, and has talked to the members and tried to get the conversation going just as much as other Hof host have done.

Many of the Hofs I've been in, have been slow, as people post a review but don't really interact much. In the old days of the Hofs people really were excited and talked and debated and made them fun. But the Host can only do so much to get the ball rolling, as this is a group effort, so it's up to all of us to make it lively.
Don't know why you quote me, since I pretty much agree with all this...

I never said Camo was a bad host, but the post he did was in bad taste, at least to some extent... that's all.

And pardon me if I'm totally wrong here, but apart from putting up a great outline to how this HoF should work, I don't remember him starting a lot of conversations throughout the HoFs in connections to our thoughts in our reviews etc. But again, I might have missed something.

I only quoted you MM, as you were the last post on the board at the time I wrote mine. My post wasn't directly about your post, I just used it as a jumping board to say what I wanted to say about Hofs and host.

Camo might not have been implying that this HoF was being treated as a review dump, but rather stating that he doesn't like it when they are.

Personally, I think I could've done a much better job trying to discuss things, but since I hadn't seen many of the films in this HoF, I couldn't really comment on other reviews when those members watched the films long before I did. I'll try to do better next time.

I'll host the 12th and show em how it's done!

Kidding, kidding. I think you've done a great job, Camo, as host. Despite of this HoF lacking a little on the discussion part, I don't think I've seen so many full length write-ups in a HoF - and that's definitely in part because you stated all that in the firsr post and furthermore kept track of our progress/reviews.