The Mechanic

Tools    

Director: Simon West
Starring: Jason Statham, Ben Foster, Donald Sutherland

Follows an elite hit man as he teaches his trade to an apprentice who has a connection to one of his previous victims.

It is a remake of the 1972 Charles Bronson film of the same name.
&feature=player_embedded

I love the original... and this actually looks pretty promising... thanks for the info GP...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
nice trailer, saves me from watching the movie.

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
The original is one of my all-time Bronson favorites. I suppose it was just a matter of time before someone had to take a crack at a remake, and the leads do look good. However it will be a bummer when discussing The Mechanic, Gone in 60 Seconds, and Rollerball that the caveat, "the original one, not that piece of sh&^ remake" will always have to be added. Hope it's not the case for this one....Well, at least they didn't give Justin Bieber the 2nd lead, that's something, right?
Sigh.....

Dang you Earl i'd just about scrubbed Rollerball the remake from my memory banks.

Unfortunately Jason Statham is a constant reminder of the Travesty that was Death Race.

LOL Dex, it was beyond terrible, wasn't it? Directors should have a special license that authorizes them to do remakes without blaspheming the original. I concur on Death Race, it's only saving grace was having Joan Allen as warden, nummy nummy nummy

I love the original.. but this is not how a remake should have been done.
Everything seems wrong about the trailer.

They should have cast an aging action star as the lead.
Ben Foster is cool.

Another from my sequels posts coming true. Like many of you, I love the original, but I'm not confident with this at all. I'll take a look at the trailer later on.

looks promising

Just saw this flick and found it fairly tolerable, mostly due to the fact that I love the hell out of the original Bronson version, and was naturally curious. I suppose they followed just enough of the original to have rights to call it The Mechanic. However, it left me a bit empty; the characters didn't have enough oomph--sure, Ben Foster was cool and homicidal as always, and Statham was....well, Statham. No chemistry between the 2 for me though, and that's a shame, cause that's what this story is about.

Action movies seem so much more slicked up and ridiculous than back in the 70's. More firepower is not necessarily better....In 1972, the first 15 minutes of the film took its sweet time showing Bronson meticulously setting up a hit. You had time to think about what was happening. No need to think nowadays, the action is all set up for you, complete with slow-motion fireballs, in case you missed it.

Ben Foster kept this one barely afloat. Statham, I do enjoy for what he is, but he's turning into a crash-test dummy lately; I wonder what his interior monologue was?.......

Ben Foster kept this one barely afloat. Statham, I do enjoy for what he is, but he's turning into a crash-test dummy lately; I wonder what his interior monologue was?.......

Saw it almost a month ago too. Quite an entertaining affair, actually. Reminded me of those original violent 80's action thrillers. Stand out scene has to be Ben Foster vs near 7ft tall gay hitman.

nice trailer, saves me from watching the movie.

alright well i capitulated, curiosity got the better of me.

Damn you to hell curisosity.

I dont know if disapointment is the right word as expectations were awfully low, however even if i wasn't aware of the original, this one is so full of plot holes and ridiculous leaps of logic, i just couldnt take it seriously.

Mostly, i kept thinking about Leon the Professional, now that there is a worthy killer trains an apprentice style film.

The Mechanic ambles along from explosion to explosion, and i suppose the 14yr old market will eat this up, but for the life of me i was wondering how after a quick montage of teacher and pupil firing auto-weaponry, Foster is making mission impossible style rappeling and marksmanship city and such.

good thing the .45 pistols he had never needed a clip changed, that came in handy.

el stinkeriooni

I liked it. But i've got a soft spot for a bit of The Stath and Ben Foster has turned out some good performances lately and this one was no difference. There's some kinda poor assumption on who we're meant to be empathising with towards the end but on the whole it's a decent enough violent action film

alright well i capitulated, curiosity got the better of me.

Damn you to hell curisosity.

I dont know if disapointment is the right word as expectations were awfully low, however even if i wasn't aware of the original, this one is so full of plot holes and ridiculous leaps of logic, i just couldnt take it seriously.

Mostly, i kept thinking about Leon the Professional, now that there is a worthy killer trains an apprentice style film.

The Mechanic ambles along from explosion to explosion, and i suppose the 14yr old market will eat this up, but for the life of me i was wondering how after a quick montage of teacher and pupil firing auto-weaponry, Foster is making mission impossible style rappeling and marksmanship city and such.

good thing the .45 pistols he had never needed a clip changed, that came in handy.

el stinkeriooni
I hope you didn't pay to see this one Dex

just the cost of a blank DVD+R, but it also has True Grit the Fighter and Inside Job on it, so, thats a non factor.

It was just really lazy filmaking. That it was produced by the same folks that brought the original to the screen makes it worse.