Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Hobson's Choice (1954)
Guaranteed placement in my future 50's list. A truly endearing film that kept a smile on my face the entire time.
I've wanted to see this film for a couple of months after reading a review here by Samoan Lawyer. THANK YOU. It was a wonderful movie!!

Turbo
-- A by-the-numbers animation about pursing your dreams and believing in yourself. A lot of potential, but nothing memorable, sadly.

Finished here. It's been fun.
Charulata
+

Such a lovely film, easily my favorite from Ray thus far.

Gentleman Prefer blondes

Not a particularly bad film, but, uh, nowhere near as good as the numerous great films in the legendary canon of Howard Hawks. Monroe's character was horribly written. A woefully shallow film.

Sherlock Jr.
2nd viewing. Not my favorite Keaton film, yet I can totally see why someone would consider this his masterpiece. It's real good.

I had this on my watchlist for the 50's countdown due to it's inclusion on Ebert's great movies list. When I found that it was in Daniel's top 10, I made it a priority.

This started out like a classic love triangle involving characters played by Rock Hudson, Lauren Bacall, and Robert Stack. The movie had an elegant and classy feel, but then it got a little dark. The arrival of a 4th main character played by blonde bombshell Dorothy Malone adds some serious spice to the movie. I don't want to spoil the movie, but I'll say some main themes are alcoholism, promiscuity, and jealousy. All of the 4 main actors do a very fine job making their characters enjoyable to watch. The movie looks great, has a nice musical score, and all that other good stuff.

I put this on my note page entitled "contenders for the 50's list." I thought it was terrific and would feel pretty good recommending it to anyone here.
I'm glad that you enjoyed this one so much Cricket. I remember putting it on TCM one night randomly, was going to record it as I was tired, but from the fast paced opening scene I was hooked. I'd definitely recommend this to people for the 50s, gorgeous design and colours, full of energy, and a great story about power and relationships. The balance between reality and over the top melodrama is perfect. I need to get to other Sirk films. I have Imitation of Life recorded from the other day to watch soon.

Gentleman Prefer blondes

Not a particularly bad film, but, uh, nowhere near as good as the numerous great films in the legendary canon of Howard Hawks. Monroe's character was horribly written. A woefully shallow film.

Sherlock Jr.
2nd viewing. Not my favorite Keaton film, yet I can totally see why someone would consider this his masterpiece. It's real good.
I'd say that your underrating these by a popcorn each. The first isn'tone of Hawks best for me, but it's very good, light hearted fun, and I don't think Monroe was poorly written, I can get the complaint, but I think that's part of the fun, great colours and music. Sherlock Jr., glad that you thought it was great, but hope you love it that little bit more one day, I think it's a great little love letter to the escape and joy the movies give to life.

Care for some gopher?
I second your thoughts on Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, Daniel.It's a fun movie.

Hollow Triumph (Steve Sekely, 1948) -
+

A film noir by B-movie director Steve Sekely. Pretty average and forgettable. At least Joan Bennett is in it, who i quite liked in Scarlet Street before.

Charulata
+

Such a lovely film, easily my favorite from Ray thus far.

Gentleman Prefer blondes

Sherlock Jr.
I think you're being a little hard on Gentlemen Prefer Blondes.

Blackboard Jungle (1955)

I think there's been many movies like this over recent years; a teacher wanting to make a difference at a tough school. I don't know if this is the first movie to tackle this story, but it's probably the best. It had a harder edge to it than I expected for it's age. Glenn Ford plays the teacher, while Sidney Poitier and Vic Morrow play the most noteworthy students. I was sold when Rock Around the Clock played during the opening credits. It's a good flick.

This film made £88 on it's opening weekend in the UK. That's not a typo. Eighty-eight pounds. He didn't have the worst weekend, though, as Richard Gere's The Benefactor made even less! £25.

There might be an explanation as to why Exposed did so poorly, though.

https://uk.movies.yahoo.com/post/141...-makes-just-88
This makes sense as it is so disjointed

The Hateful Eight

Personally Django Unchained is still my favorite Tarantino movie however this is a close second. He is probably my second favorite director ever since Kill Bill on wards, this is a very dialogue driven movie with not so much action and more character building. I really was engaged toward these characters and cared about all of their stories, Tarantino has a good knack for this. Reading up that his main inspiration for the movie was the 1982 version of The Thing you can really see this and how it all plays out. It is a shame that this would be his last movie as he seems to be making gold lately. I dont really want to talk about the story because it will ruin it for those who have not seen it yet. I recommend this to any Tarantino fan or even if they are not.

4/5 Stars

Master of My Domain
t is a shame that this would be his last movie as he seems to be making gold lately.
Really? From what I know Tarantino has a few projects in mind to finish before he retires.

Lol Hateful Eight was never going to be his last, where you got that from?

He said 10 movies and he would retire (if we believe that). So if that's true, he still got two more to make. This was his eighth feature according to himself, where the Kill Bill's is one film in his opinion...

So yeah, at least two more QT flicks!

X-Men 2 (2003)

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice directed by Zack Snyder -

I had a lot of hopes coming in, with my original doubts of the film squashed out as time went on. But it pains to me to say that once again Zack Synder has made a comic book movie that is really going to get a lot of mixed reviews. It has such a jumble of interesting and creative ideas with potential, so when it's so poorly structured and does such a crappy job to garner interest with even its main characters, you just watch with confused boredom as it sort of meanders its way through plot points that only exist to set up future films. To me this doesn't bode well for my interest in the DCU, because this tries to hard to be serious and make itself a lot bigger and grander than it needed to be. I'll remain spoiler free for the time being, and I recommend you go see it for yourself, but I'm not a fan.

Welcome to the human race...
Hail, Caesar! -

Loses points because it features Clancy Brown and Christopher Lambert, but not in the same scene. Otherwise, a solid but not great Coen joint.

The Gold Rush might be my favourite Chaplin film. I love all his others that I've seen too, and think The Great Dictator is great, especially in its political message, but there's something really to love about the playfulness and simply, loveliness of The Gold Rush.

Care for some gopher?
Marathon Man (John Schlesinger, 1976) -

Dustin Hoffmann is great in this one. The movie itself was good.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Mr. Smith Goes To Washington - 9/10

This is one of those movies every person should watch.

It's ON-DEMAND via TCM (Turner Classic Movies) for a few more days at least.