Ingmar Bergman, R.I.P. (1918 - 2007)

Tools    

I am having a nervous breakdance
I just received the news on the radio.

The greatest filmmaker ever to come out of Sweden and one of the World's finest directors passed away this morning. He was 89 years old.

Bergman's importance for cinema is undisputed. His importance for the Swedish cinema and film industry is almost impossible to comprehend. Even though he didn't make a movie after 1982 (I'm not counting the televized play Saraband) his name and his work always came up at some point in every important film debate. I remember when Bergman crawled out of his hole and called a film by Lukas Moodysson "the first masterpiece by a young master".... Moodysson doesn't have to worry about getting funds for his projects.... ever again.

This relationship between the Swedish film industry and Bergman wasn't always healthy. The industry is small and modest, Bergman was a giant - and he knew it. But he deserved that epithet and he must be the single person who did the most for Swedish film ever.

Even though he was old I kind of was taken by surprise. Bergman, even in his late years, always appeared to be very vital and in the very few interviews he gave you got the impression that this was one of those people who might live forever. But Death won this Chess game too.....

He struggled with inner demons all his life... but I still hope he'll get some peace now.

R.I.P. Ingmar.......

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Just read this on the net. A film legend. R.I.P.

Bizarrely, this seems to be taking second place to the death of an ex-Eastenders actor on most news programmes. Sad.

R.I.P.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

The Adventure Starts Here!
Glad to see MoFo didn't miss this news after all. I was surprised there wasn't a shout about it in the Shoutbox yet. What an amazing body of work he leaves behind!

I honestly shed a few tears when I found the news out. Bergman was one of my favorite directors and was, like many of you have said, one of the world's finest. Rest in peace...

that's a sad news to the movie industry.. he is one of the greatest movie directors.. condolence to his families....

It's always strange to see how a great man has to die before you realize exactly how great the person was. Yesterday the nine o'clock news was twice as long as usual and almost the whole program was devoted to Bergman. Woody Allen, Ang Lee and a bunch of other actors and industry people gave exclusive interviews about their relationship to the man and his body of work. My morning paper had a black frame and a 15-page Bergman special. All morning on the radio they talked about Bergman with various guests. TV is showing Bergman classics. It's actually quite mad...... I don't think I have ever experienced anything similar here in Sweden actually.... It's almost like a Prime Minister or someone from the royal family has died.

R.I.P.

Wild Strawberries sent chills down my spine. This man was a mastermind.

See the trailer here:

I saw The Seventh Seal just a few months ago, and was impressed. The concept is so wonderfully epic and timeless, and the whole production is so confidently understated.

Rest in Peace.

I absolutely love The Seventh Seal...

R.I.P.

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

I am Jack's sense of overused quote
This damned ranting about doom. Is that food for the minds of modern people? Do they really expect us to take them seriously?

- Jons The Seventh Seal

RIP

The Seventh Seal is probably my favourite Bergman film. But to me what made him so great was that so many of his films are so good. It's not like he made two or three masterpieces, his entire vision was masterful in itself.

I may have mentioned this before, but The Seventh Seal remains for me the greatest cinematic achievement of all time. The world has lost a great and versatile filmmaker, who worked brilliantly in everything from chamber dramas to the weird and wonderful mix of existentialism and surrealism that is The Seventh Seal (or as my girlfriend said after watching it, "This is the movie that Luis Buñuel would have made if he'd grown up somewhere the sun didn't shine for five months out of the year"). Most of it all, it has lost a mind with a passion for understanding the human condition. He was at a forefront of a generation that, for good or ill, defined the boundaries of the way we live today, as well as the ways in which we think about the world they made. When I read the articles about his death, none mentioned last words or posthumously published memoirs or any of the other usual trappings of celebrity death in the modern world, I smiled: this was one titan that deserved to fall in silence.

Hi! I'm new to this forum. I wrote an article about Bergman, but I am not allowed to post links. So you can click on my homepage link. You'll find my article there.

Bergman themes

This is my new article about some of some of the central themes that Swedish film director Ingmar Bergman (1918 - 2007) returns to in his films.

Keywords: wild strawberries, the personal paradise, unconscious suffering, Eurydice, scapegoatism, vicarious suffering, Christianity.

(click the link to my homepage)

Mats Winther