Oscar's Best Actress 2024

Tools    

The Academy Award for Best Actress goes to...
11.11%
2 votes
Annette Bening, Nyad
50.00%
9 votes
Lily Gladstone, Killers of the Flower Moon
11.11%
2 votes
Sandra Hüller, Anatomy of a Fall
0%
0 votes
Carey Mulligan, Maestro
27.78%
5 votes
Emma Stone, Poor Things
18 votes. You may not vote on this poll

The five women up for Best Actress are...

Annette Bening, Nyad
Lily Gladstone, Killers of the Flower Moon
Sandra Hüller, Anatomy of a Fall
Carey Mulligan, Maestro
Emma Stone, Poor Things

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I think Gladstone wins this. She would be my personal pick. Bening and Mulligan were great too. I wasn't overly impressed with Hüller's performance in Anatomy of a Fall. I would have liked to see Fantasia Barrino and/or Natalie Portman nominated. I haven't seen Poor Things yet.

Gladstone will win this, but Mulligan deserves it.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

While I don't think she would have had any real chance of actually winning, it is a bit of a shocker that Margot Robbie didn't make it, that Hüller and Bening essentially pushed her out. It sure seems like Gladstone's to lose, at this point, though personally I thought Emma Stone was both hilarious and very, very good.

Gutted Margot Robbie didn't get in, but her time will come one day.

Emma Stone I think will take it. Stronger performance. Getting a second Oscar will be so big for her.

I watched Flower Moon. In hindsight I'm wondering what it was about Gladstone's acting portrayal that compelled Academy members to vote for her. About the only part of her performance that was notable were the scenes in which her character was ill. To me the entire movie was SJ, so I guess she gets to carry the banner. I did think it was some of DeNiro's best acting in awhile.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
I'm rooting for the local girl, via Montana.

I am absolutely pissed Greta Lee didn't get the nomination. It just doesn't make sense. She was amazing in Past Lives.

I personally don't understand the clamour around Margot Robbie. But then again I didn't care for the movie either. Not that I think it was a bad movie. It just wasn't for me.

But her performance wasn't really special. The reaction of the media over her snub is amusing.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Margot Robbie played Barbie really well, but it doesn't follow that it was one of the best performances in all films of the year, I don't really see it as a snub. Sometimes comic performances aren't as highly regarded though. Emma Stone is brilliant in Poor Things and I hope she wins, but the academy might go for someone playing sick and hard done by (Carey Mulligan or Lily Gladstone) over funny.

I still haven't seen Barbie, but man, the number of people furious about Robbie whose argument mostly consists of referencing its box office is depressing.

I'm not qualified to express a definitive opinion on this because I haven't seen all of the nominees, but the only thing that I hope is that Lily Gladstone does not win. The reason for this is firstly, because I didn't really like "Killers of the Flower Moon." Secondly, her performance is a quintessential example of a supporting performance rather than a lead performance. Thirdly, it's a pretty one note performance which centers mostly around her appearing dour, sullen, and in pain for nearly the entire film, and doesn't allow her to exhibit much range, and she doesn't have any particularly stand out scenes. Fourthly, her character does little to nothing to move the plot forward and is instead a passive participant throughout the film. I think much of this is not her fault, and was more due to the way that the character was written, which didn't really provide her with the opportunity to showcase all of her talents. But, I'm sure there are more roles in her future that will allow her to do that, and I'd prefer that she is recognized for one of those roles. Sandra Huller gave a much more nuanced, complex performance that was central, rather than peripheral, to her film, "Anatomy of a Fall," for example. This just isn't the type of role and performance that should be recognized with a Best Actress Oscar in my opinion.

I'm not qualified to express a definitive opinion on this because I haven't seen all of the nominees, but the only thing that I hope is that Lily Gladstone does not win. The reason for this is firstly, because I didn't really like "Killers of the Flower Moon." Secondly, her performance is a quintessential example of a supporting performance rather than a lead performance. Thirdly, it's a pretty one note performance which centers mostly around her appearing dour, sullen, and in pain for nearly the entire film, and doesn't allow her to exhibit much range, and she doesn't have any particularly stand out scenes. Fourthly, her character does little to nothing to move the plot forward and is instead a passive participant throughout the film. I think much of this is not her fault, and was more due to the way that the character was written, which didn't really provide her with the opportunity to showcase all of her talents. But, I'm sure there are more roles in her future that will allow her to do that, and I'd prefer that she is recognized for one of those roles. Sandra Huller gave a much more nuanced, complex performance that was central, rather than peripheral, to her film, "Anatomy of a Fall," for example. This just isn't the type of role and performance that should be recognized with a Best Actress Oscar in my opinion.
I agree with your assessment 100%. I made a similar observation in post #7. I'm left to conclude that her nomination was solely due to SJ reasons.

I am absolutely pissed Greta Lee didn't get the nomination. It just doesn't make sense. She was amazing in Past Lives.

I personally don't understand the clamour around Margot Robbie. But then again I didn't care for the movie either. Not that I think it was a bad movie. It just wasn't for me.

But her performance wasn't really special. The reaction of the media over her snub is amusing.
I would have nominated Lee over Gladstone.

The trick is not minding
I agree with your assessment 100%. I made a similar observation in post #7. I'm left to conclude that her nomination was solely due to SJ reasons.
I don’t think there is anything To suggest that her nomination is purely for “SJ” reasons, when you consider many critics have singled her performance out since the movie was first released.
Would one assume Wright and Sterling K Brown were nominated for their roles in American Fiction purely for the same reasons? Or is it possible the academy recognize something in her performance you weren’t able to?
I have yet to see it, so I can’t say for sure if she’s good or not in it.
However, it’s too easy to dismiss the nomination purely for political reasons.

I don’t think there is anything To suggest that her nomination is purely for “SJ” reasons, when you consider many critics have singled her performance out since the movie was first released.
Would one assume Wright and Sterling K Brown were nominated for their roles in American Fiction purely for the same reasons? Or is it possible the academy recognize something in her performance you weren’t able to?
I have yet to see it, so I can’t say for sure if she’s good or not in it.
However, it’s too easy to dismiss the nomination purely for political reasons.
Watch the picture. If you still think that Gladstone deserves an Oscar, or even a nomination for that performance, you'd apparently not be alone. And yes, the Academy has definitely recognized something about Gladstone's qualification that I did not..

The trick is not minding
Watch the picture. If you still think that Gladstone deserves an Oscar, or even a nomination for that performance, you'd apparently not be alone. And yes, the Academy has definitely recognized something about Gladstone's qualification that I did not..
Which begs an answer to my earlier question….. is it possible that perhaps it wasn’t for SJ reasons?