Mofo Bros Top 100: A Raul and Sean Production

→ in
Tools    

It’s A Classic Rope-A-Dope

Have only seen this one once, but it's such a gorgeous Bergman that I couldn't leave it off. The performances are outstanding in no small part due to the amazing dialogue. Lush color fills every frame. Can't get enough Bergman.

70's Jack, few things better in cinema. Great character study with an ending that seems to come out of left field, but really doesn't. I have seen this twice. Feel like it could be higher if I watch it a couple more times before my next list.

Rauldc made me put this one on my list. Tarkovsky is similar to Malick for me in that I think he is speaking to me specifically, spiritually. I love how confounding the zone is, how it's hard to grasp on to, but it all feels like it's just there for you to grab. Looks amazing too.

May contain two of my top ten performances ever. Despite the subject matter, I just find this movie so watchable. Crazy energy.

When Altman hits for me, there are few thing I enjoy more. Love the colorful characters. The story grabs hold, despite the very loose style. I don't really care for this kind of music, but I love the music. Because, we are just in this world for a couple hours, and everything in it seems right.

70's Jack, few things better in cinema. Great character study with an ending that seems to come out of left field, but really doesn't. I have seen this twice. Feel like it could be higher if I watch it a couple more times before my next list.

Rauldc made me put this one on my list. Tarkovsky is similar to Malick for me in that I think he is speaking to me specifically, spiritually. I love how confounding the zone is, how it's hard to grasp on to, but it all feels like it's just there for you to grab. Looks amazing too.

May contain two of my top ten performances ever. Despite the subject matter, I just find this movie so watchable. Crazy energy.

When Altman hits for me, there are few thing I enjoy more. Love the colorful characters. The story grabs hold, despite the very loose style. I don't really care for this kind of music, but I love the music. Because, we are just in this world for a couple hours, and everything in it seems right.
Nice line-up there! Stalker, in particular, is my #1 favorite film as some of you likely already know.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ

A fantastic documentary. I'm all about National Parks these days and this guy living with the bears was just so interesting to me. A great character study. Katmai is on my bucket list for sure. Got to beware of those bears though.

A fantastic documentary. I'm all about National Parks these days and this guy living with the bears was just so interesting to me. A great character study. Katmai is on my bucket list for sure. Got to beware of those bears though.
Yeah, great doc. You should also check out Herzog's Lessons of Darkness, if you haven't already seen it. It's not quite as great as Grizzly Man, but still really solid.

Emotionally packed documentary that hit me in so many ways. Hard to believe a story like this. Told really well and a touching documentary.

Liked Grizzly Man a heck of a lot. Interesting and sad. Cool inclusion. You’re such a doc head.
I think what I am so pumped about is I have so much to uncover for docs. It's like a whole new world out there!

Have only seen this one once, but it's such a gorgeous Bergman that I couldn't leave it off. The performances are outstanding in no small part due to the amazing dialogue. Lush color fills every frame. Can't get enough Bergman.

Autumn Sonata kicks ass. Remember loving how beautiful it looked and two great performances. Can't wait to see a third time.

Five Easy Pieces I loved and really needs a rewatch too.

Then you lost me. Woman, Stalker, and Nashville. Who loves these films?

Have only seen Stalker out of the last batches. I liked it quite a bit, but I feel like I need a rewatch to fully appreciate it.

Dear Zachary was an incredible initial watch. I have forgotten all of it. I wonder when I watch it again if it will come back to me. Definitely think the unraveling is a big part of the experience.

Have only seen Stalker out of the last batches. I liked it quite a bit, but I feel like I need a rewatch to fully appreciate it.
Rewatch did nothing for me

Super full of heart strength and courage. A lot of scenes that really do choke me up. As to be expected, great supporting performance from Denzel. But Derek Luke knocks it out of the park as Antwone. Up there for most touching film for me.

Coens are the kings of a great screenplay and they have lots of good ones but this is probably the best. A great performance by McDormand too. Add in some great dialogue and you got a Raul favorite.

One good, one great. I really like Fisher. Would have been nice to see Washington direct more.

Fargo is a masterpiece.

Antwone Fisher really got to me when you recommended it on that HoF. Good one.

Fargo is a masterpiece, like sean says, and probably my #1 from the Coens.

I forgot the opening line.

John Cassavetes as a filmmaker is intriguing enough, but it wasn't until I saw Gloria that I realised his partnership with Gena Rowlands was worth exploring in detail - when I first saw A Woman Under the Influence I thought, "My God - what the hell was that?" It subverted nearly everything I thought a feature film should be. I immediately watched it again after the first viewing, becoming beguiled and seduced. I've watched it several times more since. Rowlands and Peter Falk are indeed incredible in it.

Great lists, I've been enjoying catching up with them every day.

Both getting into stuff I've not watched now so I'll give up on the ratings comparison.
Nice to see both Stalker and Fargo show up.

What I love most about this movie is the fact that there are so many really good performances. Obviously I'd say that Lawrence and Adams are awesome and the stars of the show, but Cooper, Bale, and Renner are really great too. Even some of the smaller supporting roles are very good. It's a great screenplay. The soundtrack is on fire. Yeah it's not made for everybody but this is my sort of jam.

Raul's picked up the baton and run with it. Fargo, Grizzly Man and Independence Day all work for me, though I think I only saw Fargo once or twice. I like a good documentary so Dear Zachary is something I've been wanting to see for a long time.

Whereas Sean has is throwing out stuff I haven't and/or don't want to see. I did make it through about 100 minutes of Stalker, but I never went back to it.

Love American Hustle. Was one of about twenty movies I wanted to rewatch before doing this list, but I didn’t get to it.