Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

Tools    

I'm sure Lester Bangs would swear it was about underaged loved....between rounds of golf
I was joking, of course, but as much as I love the song, I had never bothered to look at the lyrics before, and, as is the case with Van, there's always some curveballs. Like, I was pretty sure that he was talking about "only one middle way to go", and choosing "Geronimo" (meaning "straight down") was a lateral joke about taking the unpredictable route. So it's axchully "one meadow way to go"? OK. He must be talking about golf, and "geronimo" is sinking the put. "Fair Play" in golf means an open green available. "Killarney Lakes" where the Irish Open is held. Make sense? Not really, but demon bourbon.

I know now that I know nothing.

I was joking, of course, but as much as I love the song, I had never bothered to look at the lyrics before, and, as is the case with Van, there's always some curveballs. Like, I was pretty sure that he was talking about "only one middle way to go", and choosing "Geronimo" (meaning "straight down") was a lateral joke about taking the unpredictable route. So it's axchully "one meadow way to go"? OK. He must be talking about golf, and "geronimo" is sinking the put. "Fair Play" in golf means an open green available. "Killarney Lakes" where the Irish Open is held. Make sense? Not really, but demon bourbon.

I know now that I know nothing.
To use a tired allusion that might even fit in with something Morrison might reference, I see his lyrics much like the idea that you can never step into the same river twice. You may be standing in the same spot, but it moves around you and continues on past. I rarely can put my finger on anything specific that he is writing about, but his words allow memories and feelings to rise up in me, in different ways, at different times, with each listen.

Coupled with the gentle tug of the music behind him, almost like a current pulling you along with the song, there is something elemental about the man and his art. As a friend once said to me regarding his voice, a friend who doesn't have any real knack for music or ever listening particularly close to anything that isn't immediately gratifying, he commented on a listen to Astral Weeks that he sounds like his singing into the wind. For such a musical dummy to almost immediately get the appeal of what Morrison does, is a testament to how perfect what he does is.

To use a tired allusion that might even fit in with something Morrison might reference, I see his lyrics much like the idea that you can never step into the same river twice. You may be standing in the same spot, but it moves around you and continues on past. I rarely can put my finger on anything specific that he is writing about, but his words allow memories and feelings to rise up in me, in different ways, at different times, with each listen.

Coupled with the gentle tug of the music behind him, almost like a current pulling you along with the song, there is something elemental about the man and his art. As a friend once said to me regarding his voice, a friend who doesn't have any real knack for music or ever listening particularly close to anything that isn't immediately gratifying, he commented on a listen to Astral Weeks that he sounds like his singing into the wind. For such a musical dummy to almost immediately get the appeal of what Morrison does, is a testament to how perfect what he does is.
Yup, the whole "slipstream between the viaducts" thing. How can written lyrics even begin to transcribe the way he bites off the "best" he's trying to do in "Astral Weeks". Or, as Bangs did say, the way he can turn legible syllables into pure verbless music. I won't even look up a correction to my assumption that he shall drown his chariot down your streets of crying. Nope. I'll never feel that pain.

Crummy, you ever watch Deadly Games aka Dial Code Santa Claus aka 36.15 Code Pere Noel?

I just had a friend recommend this movie this morning!

What is happening? Have I missed how this movie suddenly became something to discuss in the last 24 hours, while I've been sitting on it for 2 years.

I just had a friend recommend this movie this morning!

What is happening? Have I missed how this movie suddenly became something to discuss in the last 24 hours, while I've been sitting on it for 2 years.
Two fold of Vinegar Syndrome dropping a 4K release and Joe Bob screening it with Christmas Evil a couple weeks ago.

Speaking of VS, I'm still waiting for my Black Friday haul to arrive. My sleazy, shameful Black Friday haul.

Speaking of VS, I'm still waiting for my Black Friday haul to arrive. My sleazy, shameful Black Friday haul.
Meanwhile, I’m about to pop in White Sheik from the Fellini set from my Criterion haul. Suck it, fellow collector that made mildly different irresponsible expenses during a pandemic!

Meanwhile, I’m about to pop in White Sheik from the Fellini set from my Criterion haul. Suck it, fellow collector that made mildly different irresponsible expenses during a pandemic!
I had no choice. Barnes and Noble refused to let me order from a Canadian address.

As did Mr. Porter, so my frivolous wardrobe purchases had to be sourced from other merchants. Oh, why must foolishly spending money be so hard?

I had no choice. Barnes and Noble refused to let me order from a Canadian address.

As did Mr. Porter, so my frivolous wardrobe purchases had to be sourced from other merchants. Oh, why must foolishly spending money be so hard?
Why does B&N seem to take every action possible to lose money? If it weren’t such a large franchise, I’d be convinced it were a means to launder money.

I’m very jealous of everyone that snagged the Beastmaster in 4K release. Not “I’d have bought it over this Fellini set” jealous but “did I really need to buy Parasite a second time and grab the Irishman despite it being perpetually on Netflix” jealous nonetheless.

Why does B&N seem to take every action possible to lose money? If it weren’t such a large franchise, I’d be convinced it were a means to launder money.

I’m very jealous of everyone that snagged the Beastmaster in 4K release. Not “I’d have bought it over this Fellini set” jealous but “did I really need to buy Parasite a second time and grab the Irishman despite it being perpetually on Netflix” jealous nonetheless.
I did not buy The Beastmaster, so perhaps we can call a truce.

I did not buy The Beastmaster, so perhaps we can call a truce.
Or do I view this as you compounding mistakes?

Or do I view this as you compounding mistakes?
Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand.

I bought a copy of Point Break for a dollar in a thrift shop.

This is all I have to add.
Yeah, but did you have walk into the store, pull out your wallet and hand them the cash, like a chump? Sounds like an awful lot of work, my friend.

Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand.
* throws a white dove into Rock’s face like it’s a can of dog food and I’m Brad Pitt *

I bought a copy of Point Break for a dollar in a thrift shop.

This is all I have to add.
Blu or DVD?