My Favorite Action/Adventure Films

→ in
Tools    

The Untouchables

Elliott Ness (Kevin Costner) versus Al Capone (Robert De Niro) in another great cinematic game of cat and mouse, elaborately mounted by director Brian De Palma and featuring an Oscar-winning supporting performance from Sean Connery.

Leon: The Professional

Jean Reno officially became a movie star with this compelling look at what happens when a professional assassin takes in a 12 year old girl (Natalie Portman) after he family is brutally murdered. A unique movie experience anchored by a star-making performance by Portman that made her a star too.

The Dark Knight

Christopher Nolan takes Tim Burton's vision of the comic book hero to an entirely new level with an even darker look at the Bat Prince with Christian Bale reinventing the character and Heath Ledger's Oscar winning performance as the Joker, a one of a kind performance that should be studied by acting students.

Goldfinger

Never been much of a Bond fan, but this film is a classic and Gert Frobe is AWESOME in the title role.

The Departed

Martin Scorsese finally snagged a Best Director offer for this epic remake of Internal Affairs which follows a deeply undercover cop (Leonardo DiCaprio) and his efforts to bring down a major mafioso (Jack Nicholson). Another cat and mouse game filmed on an epic scale with DiCaprio's finest performance.

Goodfellas

Scorsese's masterpiece is an ultra-slick look at the glamour and allure of organized crime and how the perks seem to initially outweigh the dark side through the eyes of one Henry Hill (Ray Liotta) whose pursuit of the good life ended him up in witness protection.

Django Unchained

Quentin Tarantino's bloody epic that takes a a twisted look at the entire concept of slavery about a slave (Jamie Foxx) who is set free to help a dentist turned bounty hunter (Christoph Waltz) find his next bounty and he has in turn agreed to help locate the ex-slave's wife (Kerry Washington). Tarantino uses more accustomed storytelling techniques than usual, but his usual bravura eye for cinematic carnage is on the money.

The Dark Knight Rises

No way did I think this film was going to live up to The Dark Knight but it did it and surpassed it. Tom Hardy is amazing as Bane.

Pulp Fiction

Quentin Tarantino's masterpiece about various criminals, low-lies, and scumbags told in an unconventional matter with an all-star cast including Samuel L. Jackson and Bruce Willis giving the best performances of their careers.

Face/Off

John Travolta and Nicolas Cage work extremely hard at making this cinematic cat and mouse game sizzle.

Wow, I'm exhausted...anyway, here are a few honorable mentions:

The Goonies
Thor
Rambo III
Dirty Harry
The Gangs of New York

And now, my # 1 Action/Adventure film:

Die Hard

The best of the best...this is the textbook on how to make an action/adventure film, case closed.

Hope you enjoyed the list.