The Horror Fanatic's Top 150 Horror Movies

→ in
Tools    

144. The Monster Hunter, aka Natural Selection

When I began compiling this list, I never thought I'd include a movie from The Asylum. What even made me want to watch this, you may ask? It said this on the back of the cover:
"Great!" - Quentin Tarantino
So I was sold. And I ended up getting a really fun movie. There's a scene in it which feels like something straight out of a Tarantino flick, where the titular hunter is tied to a chair and being interrogated by his quarry.
However, this guy is not the main character. I'd say that The Monster Hunter is about the actual monster hunter as much as Gran Torino is about the old man's car. Mostly, it feels like a mockumentary in which different people are being interviewed about their thoughts regarding a local maniac.
The original title for the movie was Natural Selection, and that's even what title it's under on IMDB. I blame The Asylum for giving it a dumb name and a dumb cover. Thank goodness they had enough sense to promote their film with Tarantino's approving comment.

After watching Dog Soldiers and having a few too many drinks I once declared it the best movie ever made. It's not but still a favourite.

Good list - but struggling to see how you can find over 140 horror movies better than Dog Soldiers and NOTLD

143. The Bay

This was a movie I didn't have very high expectations for. I thought the synopsis sounded good, but at the same time it's a straight-to-DVD mockumentary. I don't mind found footage in the slightest, but it's hard to find good straight-to-DVD horror movies in general. And boy, was I taken by surprise.
The Bay tells the story of a town in which a crooked politician has unwittingly caused a species of parasitic creatures to mutate and infect the entire populous. It's equal parts disturbing, heartbreaking, and nightmarishly realistic. I rarely drink my tap water as it is because it tastes horrible, but now I doubt I'll ever drink it again.

You see? More reason to hate politicians!

142. Candyman

Who can take a public restroom and make it scarier than it already was? The Candyman can.
There's going to be another Clive Barker movie higher up on the list, but in terms of story adaptation I believe this is the best film to be based on Barker's work. There's more depth to the title character, and Tony Todd gives a brilliant performance which cements his role as one of horror cinema's greatest icons. Also, I love the expanded ending. Way more satisfying than The Forbidden.
The sequel, Farewell to the Flesh, isn't too shabby, but it was a one and done deal for me. Another Clive Barker/Tony Todd flick that isn't on this list but I recommend is Valerie on the Stairs.

I enjoyed Candyman,
. The bees in the rib scene was legitemetely scary.

I saw this movie many years ago. I liked it, but not enough for repeat viewings. But the lead actor who played Candyman was good.
You should also watch his movie Shadow: Dead Riot. I know you're into weird B movies, so this should be right down your alley

141. Zombie Strippers

This is one of those movies that's commonly hated. I guess the reason is for its non-stop camp factor; indeed, I'm surprised that this wasn't distributed by Troma.
There really isn't much else to say about this film. If you're into weird horror comedies, watch it. If you're not, don't

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
As someone not all that keen or familiar with the horror genre there probably won't be much here I can comment on. But nice job with the list anyway, will stick with it to see if I can pick up any recommendations and it actually started out rather strong as I really like Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

140. The Omen (the original, duh)

This is one of my favorite devil movies. I'd even place it above The Exorcist.
The concept of the film intrigues me. The people behind it weren't necessarily trying to make a horror film, but more of a psychological thriller. Is Damien boy really the son of the devil, or an ordinary kid surrounded by misfortune? The sequels and the remake made the answer more obvious, but it's the mysterious quality of the original that makes it the most memorable.
While this isn't the scariest movie I've ever seen, it does have some chilling moments. The baboon sequence is one that stands out, partially due to the fact that the actors in the scene were in real danger. The remake failed to update this scene by using a cheap CGI glass break and some really fake-looking gorilla suits.

I really didn't care for The Omen when I saw it. I don't find children that scary or the devil. The suicide scene was good though.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Damien really isn't that significant to the suspense or cleverness of the plot. It's another one of those movies which comes up with fake Bible verses (Pulp Fiction) to propel the action, but I like it a lot anyway. I have ever since I saw it at a sneak preview, which was actually on 6-6-1976.

I really didn't care for The Omen when I saw it. I don't find children that scary or the devil. The suicide scene was good though.
I don't find the devil that scary either, mainly because I don't believe in it. There are at least three devil movies coming up on this list that scared me, though.
And I agree, the suicide scene was very good. Close second to the baboons.