Born Today

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Born on January 18th:

Cary Grant - Actor who is known for his transatlantic accent, debonair demeanor and "dashing good looks". He is considered one of classic Hollywood's definitive leading men. He was named the second Greatest Male Star of All Time by the American Film Institute. He was known for comedic and dramatic roles; his best-known films include Bringing Up Baby, The Philadelphia Story, His Girl Friday, Arsenic and Old Lace, Notorious, An Affair to Remember, North by Northwest, and Charade. He was nominated twice for the Academy Award for Best Actor (Penny Serenade and None But the Lonely Heart), and five times for a Golden Globe Award for Best Actor. In 1970, he was presented an Honorary Oscar at the 42nd Academy Awards "for his unique mastery of the art of screen acting with the respect and affection of his colleagues".

Danny Kaye - Actor, singer, dancer, and comedian whose performances featured physical comedy, idiosyncratic pantomimes, and rapid-fire nonsense songs. He starred in 17 movies, notably The Kid from Brooklyn, The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, The Inspector General, Hans Christian Andersen, White Christmas, and The Court Jester. His films were popular, especially his bravura performances of patter songs and favorites such as "Inchworm" and "The Ugly Duckling".

Danny Kaye - The Dodgers Song

A.A. Milne - English author, best known for his books about the teddy bear Winnie-the-Pooh and for various children's poems. He was a noted writer, primarily as a playwright, before the huge success of Pooh overshadowed all his previous work. In 2006, Winnie the Pooh received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, marking the 80th birthday of Milne's creation.

Oliver Hardy - Comic actor who was famous as one half of Laurel and Hardy, the classic double act that began in the era of silent films and lasted 25 years, from 1927 to 1951.

Kevin Costner - Actor, singer, producer and director who has won two Academy Awards, three Golden Globe Awards, and one Emmy Award, and has been nominated for three BAFTA (British Academy of Film and Television Arts) Awards. His notable roles include Eliot Ness in The Untouchables, Crash Davis in Bull Durham, Ray Kinsella in Field of Dreams, Lt. John J. Dunbar in Dances with Wolves, Jim Garrison in JFK, Robin Hood in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, Frank Farmer in The Bodyguard and Jonathan Kent in Man of Steel. He won the Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Miniseries or a Movie, the Golden Globe Award for Best Actor – Miniseries or Television Film, and the Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Miniseries or Television Movie for his role as Devil Anse Hatfield in "Hatfields & McCoys".

Jesse L. Martin - Actor and singer who originated the role of Tom Collins on Broadway in "Rent". He played NYPD detective Ed Green on "Law & Order" from 1999 to 2008, and he currently plays police Detective Joe West on the CW's "The Flash".

Paul Freeman - Actor who is best known for his role as rival archaeologist René Belloq in Raiders of the Lost Ark, as the evil wine baron, Gustav Reibmann on season 4 of "Falcon Crest", and as the evil villain, Ivan Ooze in Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie.

Bobby Goldsboro - Pop and country singer-songwriter who had a string of pop and country hits in the 1960s and 1970s, including his signature No. 1 hit "Honey", which sold over one million copies in the United States.

Bobby Goldsboro - Honey

Mark Collie - Country music singer, songwriter, musician, and actor who has won awards and acclaim for his music, his acting and his philanthropy. His singing career has included five major-label albums: four for MCA Nashville and one for Giant Records. Sixteen of his singles have charted on Hot Country Songs, including the top ten hits "Even the Man in the Moon Is Cryin'" and "Born to Love You". He has also written songs for Aaron Tippin, Garth Brooks, Tim McGraw, and JT Hodges. His acting career includes roles in Fire Down Below, The Punisher, and Kill Switch.

Mark Collie - Even The Man In The Moon Is Crying

Mark Collie - Let Her Go

Mark Messier - Canadian former professional ice hockey center of the NHL, and former special assistant to the president and general manager of the New York Rangers. He is considered one of the greatest NHL players of all time. He is second on the all-time career lists for regular season points (1887), playoff points (295) and regular season games played (1756). He won six Stanley Cups, five with the Oilers and one with the Rangers, and is the only player to captain two different professional teams to championships. He twice won the Hart Trophy as the league's most valuable player, in 1990 and 1992, and in 1984 he won the Conn Smythe Trophy as the most valuable player during the playoffs. He is a 15-time NHL All-Star. In 2007, he was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame, in his first year of eligibility.

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
Nice work here, gb.

Nice work here, gb.

Thanks. I almost skipped today because I've been so busy, but I saw some of my favorites, (Cary Grant, Danny Kaye, Kevin Costner and Mark Collie), on today's list, so I had to make sure to post today.

Trouble with a capital "T"
Happy Birthday! to my movie favorite, Cary Grant.

Not to forget the guy who's in all the 3 hour movies, Kevin Costner

and Danny Kaye, my favorite Danny Kaye film is, The Princess and the Pirate (1944). Funny, witty and great to look it.

Oliver Hardy too, funny guy!

Happy Birthday! to my movie favorite, Cary Grant.

Not to forget the guy who's in all the 3 hour movies, Kevin Costner

and Danny Kaye, my favorite Danny Kaye film is, The Princess and the Pirate (1944). Funny, witty and great to look it.

Oliver Hardy too, funny guy!

I've never been a big Laurel and Hardy fan, but I love your other three favorites, especially Cary Grant.

Did anybody ever go to Shakey's Pizza back in the 70s? They use to play old silent movies on a big screen. That's where I first seen Laurel and Hardy.

Did anybody ever go to Shakey's Pizza back in the 70s? They use to play old silent movies on a big screen. That's where I first seen Laurel and Hardy.

I've never heard of Shakey's Pizza, but we have a few Burger Kings around here that have updated their restaurants to have a nostalgic look and feel. They have pictures of movie stars all over the walls, and the booths in the center of the restaurant are designed to look like old cars from the 50s.

Very nice banner! I like the way you made a montage of his movies.

Thanks. I threw it together pretty fast, but I tried to include most of my favorites of his movies. Hopefully I didn't miss any because it will probably be a pain to edit that again.

That sounds cool. We have Burger Kings but I don't know what they look like on the inside.

But yah, that's what Shakey's was like. Brick walls, rough wooden tables and silent movies, the servers wore old fashion striped vest and white brimmed hats. They're gone from my area but I just found out they're not out of business.......I learn something new every day

Born on January 18th:

Danny Kaye - Actor, singer, dancer, and comedian whose performances featured physical comedy, idiosyncratic pantomimes, and rapid-fire nonsense songs. He starred in 17 movies, notably The Kid from Brooklyn, The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, The Inspector General, Hans Christian Andersen, White Christmas, and The Court Jester. His films were popular, especially his bravura performances of patter songs and favorites such as "Inchworm" and "The Ugly Duckling".

Danny Kaye - The Dodgers Song

You don't have enough room on the banner to include all of his good movies!

I was just looking at IMDB, he's made a lot of films. Cary goes all the way back to 1932. The oldest one I've seen is Merrily We Go To Hell and Blonde Venus both from 1932. Have you seen him in the Mae West film She Did Him Wrong? That's a good one.

Born on January 18th:

A.A. Milne - English author, best known for his books about the teddy bear Winnie-the-Pooh and for various children's poems. He was a noted writer, primarily as a playwright, before the huge success of Pooh overshadowed all his previous work. In 2006, Winnie the Pooh received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, marking the 80th birthday of Milne's creation.

Danny Kaye was great in everything he did, wasn't he?

My mom went to his high school, and she used to tell me stories about how his principal always told him that he wouldn't amount to anything, so whenever he came back to Brooklyn to perform, he would always say a special "Hello" to his principal.

Danny Kaye was great in everything he did, wasn't he?

My mom went to his high school, and she used to tell me stories about how his principal always told him that he wouldn't amount to anything, so whenever he came back to Brooklyn to perform, he would always say a special "Hello" to his principal.
Danny Kaye is one of my favorite actors/singer/dancers... "Hans Christian Andersen" was a great film.. and I have always been a fan of the actual Hans Christian Andersen.....

You don't have enough room on the banner to include all of his good movies!

I was just looking at IMDB, he's made a lot of films. Cary goes all the way back to 1932. The oldest one I've seen is Merrily We Go To Hell and Blonde Venus both from 1932. Have you seen him in the Mae West film She Did Him Wrong? That's a good one.

I've seen She Did Him Wrong, but not recently. My favorites of his movies are basically all the ones shown in my profile banner, but if I had to pick only a few, I would probably choose Arsenic and Old Lace, An Affair to Remember, North By Northwest, and Charade, but he made so many great movies that it's hard to narrow it down like that.

Danny Kaye is one of my favorite actors/singer/dancers... "Hans Christian Andersen" was a great film.. and I have always been a fan of the actual Hans Christian Andersen.....

I love Hans Christian Andersen. I have a DV-R of it from way back when TCM aired it.