Best Picture Hall of Fame

Tools    

WARNING: "yep," spoilers below
Been a long time since seeing II and STILL haven't seen III but I always felt it was Rocco as well. For the same reasons and when Michael sends him on the suicide mission it seems to clinch the knowledge that Michael figured it out and he's giving Rocco a noble death instead of a punk @ss one.
WARNING: "godfather part II" spoilers below
After the shooting in the midst of the chaos Michael has a short conversation with Tom Hagen. Tom brings up the possibility that it was Rocco or Al; Michaels top two guys, Rocco was head of security for Michaels compound at that point so he was already to blame. Michael mentions what his father taught him (IMO that's referring to how Michael figured out it was Tessio that betrayed him) then he orders Rocco to capture the assassins, he specifically tells him to keep them alive in a very forceful way. When Michael gets there they've been killed by Rocco's men which i think was Michaels test same as the test Vito taught him, i think it would be consistent if Michaels test failed though which confuses things. Still i think it was Rocco, makes the most sense.

On Michaels test failing:
WARNING: "godfather part II" spoilers below
He gives it a straight pass/fail chance without much logic behind it. If Rocco's men are supposed to be guarding Michaels house and they failed and there's assassins running about they are going to kill them before Michael or Rocco has a chance to intervene, it's their job and they are going to be extra vigilant knowing that they failed the first time. Rocco's men killing them tells Michael nothing, it gives him an easy person to place the blame on but he obviously keeps the terrified Rocco around until he orders him to commit suicide. I dunno i kinda really love it if it's not Rocco but he definitely makes the most sense out of the most logical candidates, like much more than anyone else.

Sorry guys, i just realized what happened here. Definitely don't invite me to any The Godfather parties.

are they a thing? if godfather parties are a thing please invite me to them!

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Moonlight

I think my only real critique is actually a misrepresentation.
That critique is the pacing of the film. I felt like I was always waiting, which, actually, in its way, is the ideal pacing of this film. I honestly can't say what should be left out or done differently, since it all really moved along smoothly.
So, in the end, truthfully, the critique is on my and not the film.

Was pleasantly surprised with the "father figure" Juan, finding such a person in such an unlikely circumstance had a wonderfully "out of real life" aspect to it. The same can go for Teresa; what a truly wonderful "home" that they had together.
Even the mother, though the character is a common one, the actress did very well and rather liked the scene near the end with the visit and the talk they had.

The romantic scenes were, just that, romantic.
The time with Kevin was done beautifully, especially with the shot from behind the two of them. There was a balanced portrayal of vulnerability and pleasure.
And that closing scene with the two of them and a quick shot of him as a child standing before the ocean was a very beautiful moment indeed.

As for whether or not it deserved the win, I can't honestly say since I only saw Hell or High Water (which I loved) and Manchester By The Sea (which was great and difficult, emotionally, to watch, but thoroughly worth it)

as everyone who has already sent a list knows, this one was pretty hard to make a decision on a list.
I actually did mine on the fly because I didn't want to spend all sorts of time moving and switching and moving and switching and STILL not be happy with who went where.

Legend in my own mind
I am sorry, I am probably going to have to bail out. It has been a really tough time for me personally over recent weeks with the death of a close family member. I have not really been in the right head space. Things are getting back to normal but it would take at least a couple of weeks to catch up. Sorry for letting you all down, I really love doing these HoFs but as I say it just hasn't been on my radar over recent weeks.

I am sorry, I am probably going to have to bail out. It has been a really tough time for me personally over recent weeks with the death of a close family member. I have not really been in the right head space. Things are getting back to normal but it would take at least a couple of weeks to catch up. Sorry for letting you all down, I really love doing these HoFs but as I say it just hasn't been on my radar over recent weeks.
The death of someone close is always a difficult situation to traverse.
Take care, Sarge

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
It's all good Sarge.