Best Science Fiction Book Or Movie Since 1970

Tools    

Official Sacrifice to Holden Pike
I have this odd relationship with Tom. Sometimes I'm madly in love with his bod...other times he's just ordinary. He's short too. I don't like short men. You can't be all about your face. Ya know??

history *is* moralizing
i know, but a hot bod is easy to get, it took 3 years for me, and 2 more to lose it again...

I was looking at People magazine just now and I spotted a really hunky pic of Tom. So I'm in to him again. He has a great body. Nice arms. Maybe his being short is fine with me.
We are off topic. Let's let the boys continue their Sci-Fi thread in peace and free of sexy rantings.

history *is* moralizing
yep u're right... but a propos Tom, i tried to forget twas him in Minority Report, which was not sooo bad for being him... and maybe the kind of future that's not so impossible either, so would it be rathwer SF than S Fantasy, innit?

Hmmm. Yes. It is Sci-Fi in my professional opinion. Good movie, too.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Minority Report is a fine, fine film. I love it. There need to be more movies like it.

Hey P, have you seen Sky Captian and the World of Tomorrow? The 'feel' of that movie reminds me of Minority Report.

Sky Captain reminded you of Minority Report?! Apparently you smoke rock better than I do.

Actually I guess they were both pretty wacky...

Just the landscapes I guess.
*burning my finger on my bent spoon* __Ouch__

Originally Posted by 2wrongs
*burning my finger on my bent spoon* __Ouch__
Crack's sweet kiss makes the cooking effort's pain all go away.

Seriously though, I've never smoked crack.

Only highballed.

Back on topic. I love the Sci-Fi channel.

Originally Posted by OG-
Back on topic. I love the Sci-Fi channel.
The Sci-Fi Channel is like one big concept movie. Everything there looks so promising at first. They've got those cool CGI bumpers for commercials and such that don't make any sense, but look badass all the same. And they've got all these original movies and series' which sound intriguing, but whose conclusions are always a let-down.

I can't watch the Sci-Fi Channel anymore. I've been hurt too many times before.

I think you're expecting more from the Sci-Fi channel than it expects from itself. You gotta treat the Sci-Fi channel like dirt and it'll cling to you like mud. Yeah.

The Sci-Fi channel is a guilty pleasure for all nerds. If I had TechTV the only channels I'd ever watch would be VH1 (Best Week Ever is the best show ever), the Sci-Fi chan, TechTV and Cartoon Network.

Originally Posted by OG-
Blade Runner[/i]...I don't give it enough credit and need to take it in a couple more times before I let loose on it. It is a fantastic lecture on the downward spiral of humanity and their care/respect for fellow man in today's society. It, like 2001, simply don't resonate with me on the same level Contact does.
That's mainly because the ideas in the movie version of Contact are simple and spoon-fed to the audience, while BladeRunner and 2001: A Space Odyssey are complex and layered with few easy answers. They require multiple viewings and a healthy amount of intelligence.

So it's no wonder you get and adore the Zemeckis but are left cold and are less impressed by the Ridley Scott and Kubrick.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Bad Morther****er
Holden are you calling OG stupid?
Justice will be served/ And the battle will rage/ This big dog will fight/ When you rattle his cage/ And you’ll be sorry that you messed with the U.S. of A./ Cause we`ll put a boot in your ass/ It`s the American way.
Courtesy Of The Red, White & Blue - Toby Keith

The Satchel Snatcher's on the loose
The Sci-Fi channel blows....
and so does Sky Captain....build a movie set for cryin' out loud.

The first Matix...

Does that count as a sci-fi??

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
So it's no wonder you get and adore the Zemeckis but are left cold and are less impressed by the Ridley Scott and Kubrick.
That reminds me.
A Clockwork Orange
That's good Sci-Fi and it broke genre barriers.

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
That's mainly because the ideas in the movie version of Contact are simple and spoon-fed to the audience, while BladeRunner and 2001: A Space Odyssey are complex and layered with few easy answers. They require multiple viewings and a healthy amount of intelligence.

I'm sorry I have a heart. Zemeckis makes movies for your heart and brain. To me, Ridley and Kubrick simply don't, at least not when it comes to the two we're talking about. Both films deal with a prosthesis of humanity, not the real thing. Life in either film revolve around an increasing lack of heart and soul. In that sense, they are actually probably more Sci-Fi than Contact ever would be, so I withdraw my statement. Doesn't make them more enjoyable. Unlike you, I still have my youth so maybe it is just me being a dumb 'ole youngstah, but I can still watch movies for the sheer entertainment of them. I'm not yet an analytical robot, devoid of that awe inspired feeling you get when you gaze at a movie screen.

Visually, the two films are incredibly stunning, but they both really do it with a flare that just doesn't rub me the right way. Much to the same way I prefer water colors over charcoal. I can appreciate the craftsmanship that went into making the art, but it just doesn't turn me on.

Like I said in the shoutbox, turn on your heartlight, Holden!

Book: Enders Game - the book is just plain brilliant and I think anyone who reads it will enjoy it

Movie: I am a Star Wars nerd so my favorite is Empire