Divisive movies that are liked more now

Tools    

Victim of The Night
Also, am I the only one who thought even Memento lost momentum (unintentional, sorry) in its third act?
I think the first two thirds of that movie are really good and then I was like, oh, shucks, that's a shame.
Not bad just underwhelming in conception.

Victim of The Night
Well, nobody has ever said that Batman trilogy was realistic. Grounded? Sure. Realistic? Nope.

Actually, there is a quote (I’ll get it to you) which confirms that Begins world is a CBM world. I think TDKR has some thing that are fair criticism but this is a nitpick since it does not change the movie or it’s important to it, especially when you are buying into a world where a billionaire is a vigilante who uses a mask.
Like I said, it was the least of my criticisms of the movie, only that it seemed a really big leap from the level of "grounded"ness (to use your word) that the whole trilogy had previously been going with.
But again, probably not on my list of the top 5 or 10 bigger nits I would pick with this film. But not much did work for me in this film. I generally just enjoy Begins as much as I can and can be conned into watching TDK for Ledger and then I just pretend Rises never happened.

The greatest devil trick David Lynch ever pulled was convincing the world that his movies makes sense.
They make perfect emotional sense.

Lynch is a fraud
Such a claim suggests that those who find worth in his films are either also a fraud, or are gullible idiots. You seem to try and claim otherwise later in your post, but it sure seems you take people enjoying movies you don't pretty personally.

his followers barely have anything to say in his defense
There are endless reams of good discussion regarding the films of David Lynch. He's probably one of the most written about filmmakers of the last forty years

except crap like "his films are trying to become mirror or dreams",
They say much more than this, but even if they didn't, so? Why is making a film that is a mirror of a dream the work of a fraud. There are many artists who try to do this. Most fail. Lynch doesn't.

his films are supposed to be experienced like a piece of music (no one ever points out that a narrative-reliant format like film is completely different from music)
Lots of film operates outside of narrative conventions. Film isn't beholden to follow your narrow expectations of it as simply a vessel for story telling. It can be extremely tiring to see people keep trying to handcuff what is a limitless medium to ****ing stories. And my aggravation here isn't even acknowledging the fact that David Lynch's films are clearly strongly narrative based. Like, all of them.

go read someone's subjective explanation online
What's wrong with this? Since you seem unwilling to try find an explanation of your own, this is probably the only other option for you, isn't it? Unless, you don't actually care to understand what people get out of his films. On one hand, you are resolutely refusing to admit Lynch can be discussed with any merit, and then on the other, you're annoyed when people dare to discuss their interpretations of his work. Seems like a bit of a bad faith argument you're constructing here.

Even a genius writer like James Joyce was held to task by the literary establishment when he came out with the incomprehensible "Finnegans Wake"
Just because Finnegan's Wake is also incomprehensible to me, doesn't mean I have to stumble towards the fallacy that it must then be incomprehensible to everybody. I've found discussion about it illuminating, even though its never helped my own journey through it. I'm happy other people like it. It doesn't make me feel in the slightest bit bothered it goes over my head, because not everything needs to be for me.

There has to be some kind of reference, a structure, a starting and end point, a coherent vision to work with when critiquing a medium like film
First of all, no there doesn't. Second of all, how does Eraserhead, Wild at Heart, Lost Highway, Mulholland Drive, Elephant Man, Straight Story, Blue Velvet or Inland Empire lack these things? While Inland Empire is probably the most difficult to pull apart and understand what is going on, the others all have pretty basic story structures. The peculiar way Lynch dresses his windows though seems to be throwing you off how simple these narratives really are.

my issue is with their zealous cries of "one of the best films ever" that drown out any kind of criticism or questions that should logically be welcomed with regard to this film's artistic legitimacy
People can criticize the films of Lynch all they want. Nobody drowned me out when I wasn't a fan of his films at a younger age and criticized them all the time and no one is drowning you out now. You said your piece, and your criticism seems to amount to 'everyone who likes him is wrong'. Why? Because you don't approve of his approach to making films and therefore everyone is a giant dupe. Sounds like there is only one zealot here in this discussion.

Like all sincere (con) artists, Lynch has refused to provide his own interpretation or explanation for Inland Empire and Blue a Velvet, in an effort to preserve the mystery and enigma surrounding his supposed nightmare
The nerve of him wanting to have his audience find their own way through his films. How dare he have faith on the autonomy of personal experience. Personally, I'm thankful for artists like him (and there are many many many artists like him) who don't waste my time telling me what to think. He's more than competent enough as an artist to let his work stand on its own.

you can rest assured someone in the world out there will come up with an explanation to make sense of these completely random, disconnected events, provided I have been hyped up by the media to the degree that my reputation is untouchable in the field of art I'm employed in.
You seem to be under the impression that his reputation arrived in some kind of vaccuum, completely separate from what he has accomplished, and how people have responded to his work. He didn't just randomly scrawl a bunch of unrelated moments in a movie forum post to achieve recognition. He actually has a product that he laborously worked at and got on screen. And some people happened to like it, for whatever their reasons. You also seem to be under the impression there isn't a very vocal group of criticsout there who have hated a good portion of his films throughout his entire career. There have constantly been naysayers to what he's been doing all these years. Your complaints are nothing new. In fact they are very very old.

No matter what Lynch now claims about the project, what we saw was originally conceived as a TV pilot.
Now were are loading our critical gun with complete irrelevancies. Who cares what it was conceived as? This isn't proof that it was 'a film he got out of nothing'. He adjusted what he was going to do with this project considering the venue it would now be shown. Artists, believe it or not, are adaptable. They can create on the fly. For example, the entirity of Twin Peaks: The Return, is a continuation of a story he conceived for television thirty years ago, filtered through his frustration at creating that very show. It rails against the limits of television, it's killing of mystery and how his vision was taken out of his hands. The way he concludes this story could not have happened before he had his frustration with his experience of producing the original Just because The Return's story was retrofitted to respond to these things, doesn't mean it was 'got out of nothing'. He adapted the story he was telling, to include these experiences. A completely valid approach for an artist still angry at being shut out of the creative process thirty years earlier. And, sidenote, a brilliant narrative decision.

so many questions whose answers one can only conjecture without ever reaching a consensus
What is the implicit value of consensus? Does people agreeing on things somehow make it legit? There are some films out there that have been woefully misinterpreted for years, and that misinterpretation had a general consensus that was bandied back and forth as some kind of gospel. Considering consensus can sometimes be dead wrong, does this make it something worth striving for as some kind of objective measure of worth?

I intend to attack and question its artistic greatness till my last breath
I'm sure (hope) you have better ways to spend your time. It's probably more productive to try and appreciate what others see in things you don't like, even if you are not likely to ever enjoy them yourself. Either that, or just stop thinking about it. There is no bigger waste of time than trying to convince other people why they shouldn't like something they like. What kind of party pooper **** is this anyways? Who do you think your saving, beyond the cognitive dissonance you feel when people champion those weird, no-consensus David Lynch films. Isn't it enough to just explain why YOU don't like something. It should be, because let me assure you that you are biting off more than you can chew in trying to dictate why NOBODY should.

The trick is not minding
There isn't a big Nolan hate on this site and the internet, but a lot of vocal criticism. I have explained why it exists and that now watching more movies I can say that Nolan's not perfect. Still, a great director with a great resume overall.

Sorry, with "haters" (category to which people who simply do not like Nolan do not belong, because they argue your opinions) I mean those (many) who only after "INCEPTION" dived into the shooting of the pigeon Vs Nolan. Nolan up to TDK was either a good and talented director or a little known director. After the success of TDK with the public (which was already following other really "beautiful" films), many have not forgiven him for the success of audiences and critics (in the internet, disgusting those who combine talent with success is a national sport).

Also TDKR and Interstellar were weaker than those two and the hype, fanbase was "growing".
Anti-Nolanites and Nolanites exists as far as I know, back in the day Nolan was just considered someone like Villenueve or Fincher where people liked his work etc.
I agree that TDKR was the weaker one, but not by a large margin.
Also, my use of the word “haters” was clearly facetious. Don’t focus on it so much. Arguing he’s not perfect seems like grasping at low hanging fruit. You could make that claim with any director. Bar none.
Yes, I get it, people disagree. Criticism of Nolan is one thing, but I have seen many flat out say they don’t like his work. That’s fine! It’s more then just simply dismissing them into a category because they offer differing opinions, which was a rather dismissive response as well.
I have found many of his films fascinating on an intellectual level, the way he delved in Batman’s troubled psyche. The way he played with memories in Memento, and how the psyche itself was a metaphorical battleground in Inception.
I get it if it’s not everyone’s cup of tea.

Tarantino, on the other hand, is Sam Peckinpah with better dialogue, more wit, more self indulgence, and a propensity for exploding heads.
I’ve still enjoyed his films, mostly.

Welcome to the human race...
Yeah, like Lynch films do tend to have ultimately simple narratives for the most part and even the explanations for the surreal parts can be similarly basic. I would also contend that film is a medium that is not (or rather should not) be overly reliant on narrative, especially if it means diluting or sacrificing character or theme or motifs or whatever else.

I will agree that Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me belongs on this list, if only because people did hate it upon release due to the fact that they were expecting a proper finale following the season 2 cliffhanger of the show and instead ended up getting a prequel that mostly centred on Laura Palmer (as I recall, it got booed at Cannes). Now it's recognised as being just as vital as the rest of the show.

Like I said, it was the least of my criticisms of the movie, only that it seemed a really big leap from the level of "grounded"ness (to use your word) that the whole trilogy had previously been going with.
But again, probably not on my list of the top 5 or 10 bigger nits I would pick with this film. But not much did work for me in this film. I generally just enjoy Begins as much as I can and can be conned into watching TDK for Ledger and then I just pretend Rises never happened.
agree to disagree here, I don’t have those issues.

I agree that TDKR was the weaker one, but not by a large margin.
Also, my use of the word “haters” was clearly facetious. Don’t focus on it so much. Arguing he’s not perfect seems like grasping at low hanging fruit. You could make that claim with any director. Bar none.
Yes, I get it, people disagree. Criticism of Nolan is one thing, but I have seen many flat out say they don’t like his work. That’s fine! It’s more then just simply dismissing them into a category because they offer differing opinions, which was a rather dismissive response as well.
I have found many of his films fascinating on an intellectual level, the way he delved in Batman’s troubled psyche. The way he played with memories in Memento, and how the psyche itself was a metaphorical battleground in Inception.
I get it if it’s not everyone’s cup of tea.

Tarantino, on the other hand, is Sam Peckinpah with better dialogue, more wit, more self indulgence, and a propensity for exploding heads.
I’ve still enjoyed his films, mostly.
No problem but there are some haters, not on this site but one site I know has someone who has a giant hate boner with Nolan to the point he will claim that any single director or movie is better than Nolan stuff.

I don't see how Nolan and Tarantino aren't for everyone, personally. I enjoyed every single one of their movies and own all of them ^^

I like Nolan movies because they entertain me a great deal and I am a huge Batman fan and tend to be a good bit different than what's usually released especially in the blockbuster area since Spielberg has fallen off.*

Not because I think they're flawless, deep or particularly phenomenal as Scorsese's or Kubrick's, but he has done a lot of quality films to be compared with directors such as Fincher and Cameron I guess.

Yeah, like Lynch films do tend to have ultimately simple narratives for the most part and even the explanations for the surreal parts can be similarly basic. I would also contend that film is a medium that is not (or rather should not) be overly reliant on narrative, especially if it means diluting or sacrificing character or theme or motifs or whatever else.

I will agree that Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me belongs on this list, if only because people did hate it upon release due to the fact that they were expecting a proper finale following the season 2 cliffhanger of the show and instead ended up getting a prequel that mostly centred on Laura Palmer (as I recall, it got booed at Cannes). Now it's recognised as being just as vital as the rest of the show.
The Straight Story is dull and the most predictable movie of all time and the movie the studio asked him to make.

Mulholland Drive is a TV pilot that I still love but frankly, it has 30 minutes of coherence.

Blue Velvet is the most overrated film I have ever seen. Absolutely loathe the cheesy, dull style and one dimensional characters.

Lost Highway makes no sense.

Eraserhead is the perfect example of style over substance.

Dune is a mess.

Inland Empire is three hours do disjointed situations over seeing a girl getting issues? Is it? Has no themes, no story, no character development.

The Elephant Men is the only one which is great, makes sense and has a actual heart and themes.

Yeah I understand about narrative but the movie needs to atleast have a thin paper plot that you can follow or something interesting. Also, the prequel has terrible acting.

I don't see how Nolan and Tarantino aren't for everyone, personally. I enjoyed every single one of their movies and own all of them ^^
I don't want to come of as too aggressive, so please tell me if I am, but I find this response a little bit odd. No piece of art can ever be for anyone, nor would I ever want to watch something that is so "safe" it will please every person in the world. Sounds quite boring frankly.

I don't want to come of as too aggressive, so please tell me if I am, but I find this response a little bit odd. No piece of art can ever be for anyone, nor would I ever want to watch something that is so "safe" it will please every person in the world. Sounds quite boring frankly.
What I mean is that they are truly accessible, known and blockbuster directors so it's a minority I guess meanwhile a director like Cronenberg, Bunuel and Lynch might be not everyone's cup of tea.

For example, I'm a fan of Cronenberg.

What I mean is that they are truly accessible, known and blockbuster directors so it's a minority I guess meanwhile a director like Cronenberg, Bunuel and Lynch might be not everyone's cup of tea.

For example, I'm a fan of Cronenberg.

I mean, no one is denying their popularity. I dislike many popular things. In general, Tarantino and Nolan are well-liked by the majority, but the more people have seen something the more diverging opinions on it you are going to have.

I think you put my thoughts on TDKR into words.

That said, we are a bit opposite on Melancholia, in which I basically forgave the first half its transgressions against my soul for being necessary to make the second half as transcendent as it was for me.
For what it's worth, I like the second half of Melancholia quite a bit. I just think the first half is on a whole different level of excellence.

I mean, no one is denying their popularity. I dislike many popular things. In general, Tarantino and Nolan are well-liked by the majority, but the more people have seen something the more diverging opinions on it you are going to have.
I guess so but I personally have never met someone in real life who doesn’t love The Dark Knight or Pulp Fiction XD

Inland Empire is three hours do disjointed situations over seeing a girl getting issues? Is it? Has no themes, no story, no character development.

The Elephant Men is the only one which is great, makes sense and has a actual heart and themes.
Sorry if this is more pile on, but I'm really confused by the bolded parts here. I mean, every film has themes. Themes are merely a consequence of storytelling. You don't even need to like those films to acknowledge that they have themes. The same goes for story. Stories are just accounts of events, really, which apply for, well, every film. They can be large scale or they can be as small scale as a film which consists entirely of someone blinking their eyes. A film having a story isn't some sort of strict designation.

Watching Eraserhead in a movie theater was a phenomenal experience. It was perfect for the ending, in particular. Going from blinding lights and a loud bit of sound design to being left in dead silence in the dark was one of the best experiences I've ever had watching a film.

Overall, I think Eraserhead is one of the few films which are completely aesthetically unique. I think Mulholland Drive is his most popular film, but my heart has always been with Eraserhead.

They make perfect emotional sense.
—-

Full of plot holes, unexplained events, rushed moments, gimmicks, weird characters and situations.

-

Such a claim suggests that those who find worth in his films are either also a fraud, or are gullible idiots. You seem to try and claim otherwise later in your post, but it sure seems you take people enjoying movies you don't pretty personally.

Not exactly, I would consider him to be someone who sold nothing as substance and something "deep" when in reality it’s just a lot of nonsense storylines filled with poor acting and one dimensional characters. I mean, when has Lynch ever had a single character arc in his movies?

What I don’t like about Lynch is that when I got into films, I liked him a bit then I started to watch Cronenberg and I realized his movies are about nothing. Eraserhead for example, what’s the guy? Why he does vomit? What’s the girl? Literally no explanation,

I’d rather watch a coherent storyline with no spoon feed dialogues but that makes sense, for example Cronenberg's Videodrome.

I don’t want to turn this into a Cronenberg vs Lynch debate but I am just speaking how appreciating an auteur made me change my opinion on a similiar director.

—-

There are endless reams of good discussion regarding the films of David Lynch. He's probably one of the most written about filmmakers of the last forty years

—-

Well, If he explained why X does Y and why X does X, there would be no discussions and no people (like me) who found most of his work to be dull and questionable.

—-

They say much more than this, but even if they didn't, so? Why is making a film that is a mirror of a dream the work of a fraud. There are many artists who try to do this. Most fail. Lynch doesn't.

Using the medium to show images is ok, but acting like "I put a card, an axe and a monster in three different scenes" is a work of genius is definitely something that resembles a fraud. What I mean is that it you analyze every single scene of Inland Empire, the movie becomes a huge mess filled with hundreds of questions and nameless characters. And I simply don’t like that.

—-

Lots of film operates outside of narrative conventions. Film isn't beholden to follow your narrow expectations of it as simply a vessel for story telling. It can be extremely tiring to see people keep trying to handcuff what is a limitless medium to ****ing stories. And my aggravation here isn't even acknowledging the fact that David Lynch's films are clearly strongly narrative based. Like, all of them.

—-

The only "narratives" that he has done are: The Elephant Men which is a great film and The Straight Story which is a movie the studio asked him to make, and it’s fairly dull, predictable, sloppily directed and has no twists or nothing remarkable except the ending scenes. A story doesn’t need to make sense sure, but atleast it needs to have something going for it.

—-

What's wrong with this? Since you seem unwilling to try find an explanation of your own, this is probably the only other option for you, isn't it? Unless, you don't actually care to understand what people get out of his films. On one hand, you are resolutely refusing to admit Lynch can be discussed with any merit, and then on the other, you're annoyed when people dare to discuss their interpretations of his work. Seems like a bit of a bad faith argument you're constructing here.

—-

Movies does not need to be opinion based, but they need to have a perfect layed foundation. I am good about Mulholland Drive, it’s one of my favorite films but me being critical with Lynch is because he has disappointed me many, many times. Most of arguments come from personal perspective like

What’s the cowboy? What’s in the box? Why did Bill Pullman call his house? Why Robert Blake is not visible? Nothing of this has any sort of explanation, I call this poor writing and plot holes.

—-

Just because Finnegan's Wake is also incomprehensible to me, doesn't mean I have to stumble towards the fallacy that it must then be incomprehensible to everybody. I've found discussion about it illuminating, even though its never helped my own journey through it. I'm happy other people like it. It doesn't make me feel in the slightest bit bothered it goes over my head, because not everything needs to be for me.

—-

It only means that it’s something that is void of any 200% correct interpretation. And also, if I read something online, and it’s not explained then it’s a flaw of the movie itself. Because, what someone who doesn’t write the movie say, is not official or reliable but just opinion based.

—-

First of all, no there doesn't. Second of all, how does Eraserhead, Wild at Heart, Lost Highway, Mulholland Drive, Elephant Man, Straight Story, Blue Velvet or Inland Empire lack these things? While Inland Empire is probably the most difficult to pull apart and understand what is going on, the others all have pretty basic story structures. The peculiar way Lynch dresses his windows though seems to be throwing you off how simple these narratives really are.

—-

Wild At Heart has a messy storyline filled with rushed moments, an uninteresting sub plot regarding the detective, and a cop out ending. For the rest, my explanation is above, and no they’re not simple except his only two good and great films which are logical. Rest is a lot of nonsense for me, i am not a casual moviegoer but I personally don’t like that "Oh, look we saw an unexplained event leading something that has no explanation" is a work of a genius.

—-

People can criticize the films of Lynch all they want. Nobody drowned me out when I wasn't a fan of his films at a younger age and criticized them all the time and no one is drowning you out now. You said your piece, and your criticism seems to amount to 'everyone who likes him is wrong'. Why? Because you don't approve of his approach to making films and therefore everyone is a giant dupe. Sounds like there is only one zealot here in this discussion.

—-

No, I'm saying that he gets too much credit and his movies have evident flaws and simply aren't good. Despite all my criticism, I would say that he has talent in terms to visual storytelling so I would call him good. I think not everything is my cup of tea, and some people might like his films more sure, but what I don’t understand is what this "genius or goat" comes from. When I watch a Kubrick movie, I can analyze the movie scene by scene and find something innovative.

When I watch a Lynch movie I can analyze scene by scene of what happened and still don’t see a single line of dialogue explaining what happened in that particular scene.

—-

The nerve of him wanting to have his audience find their own way through his films. How dare he have faith on the autonomy of personal experience. Personally, I'm thankful for artists like him (and there are many many many artists like him) who don't waste my time telling me what to think. He's more than competent enough as an artist to let his work stand on its own.

—-

I much prefer the ones who actually are more honest in their portrayals and don't need to make a huge mystery regarding a movie that has a thin paper plot when thought and just long, long execution of unexplained events. Like, what’s the ghost? Why did Laura Dern become crazy? Etc.

I am all good for artists with a personal style, as I said I am a fan of Carpenter and Cronenberg.

—-

You seem to be under the impression that his reputation arrived in some kind of vaccuum, completely separate from what he has accomplished, and how people have responded to his work. He didn't just randomly scrawl a bunch of unrelated moments in a movie forum post to achieve recognition. He actually has a product that he laborously worked at and got on screen. And some people happened to like it, for whatever their reasons. You also seem to be under the impression there isn't a very vocal group of criticsout there who have hated a good portion of his films throughout his entire career. There have constantly been naysayers to what he's been doing all these years. Your complaints are nothing new. In fact they are very very old.

—-

He had his box office and critical flops, only after the 00s people started liking Lynch, I mean Ebert hated Lynch and considered him an hack before. Yes, he did pull a bunch of unrelated moments in Mulholland Drive, because it was a TV series therefore these characters would have something to do and instead of rewriting, he only pulled off the "its all dream" trope and people started to "connect the dots" when there’s just 30 minutes of the logical story tbh, and I am talking about one of my favorite films...

I never saw anyone criticizing Lynch or it must be rarely. I see a lot more criticism to other directors personally, like for example Tarantino which media says he’s too violent etc.

—-

Now were are loading our critical gun with complete irrelevancies. Who cares what it was conceived as? This isn't proof that it was 'a film he got out of nothing'. He adjusted what he was going to do with this project considering the venue it would now be shown. Artists, believe it or not, are adaptable. They can create on the fly. For example, the entirity of Twin Peaks: The Return, is a continuation of a story he conceived for television thirty years ago, filtered through his frustration at creating that very show. It rails against the limits of television, it's killing of mystery and how his vision was taken out of his hands. The way he concludes this story could not have happened before he had his frustration with his experience of producing the original Just because The Return's story was retrofitted to respond to these things, doesn't mean it was 'got out of nothing'. He adapted the story he was telling, to include these experiences. A completely valid approach for an artist still angry at being shut out of the creative process thirty years earlier. And, sidenote, a brilliant narrative decision.

—-

Because it removes all the mystery regarding what the movie has to say, and also fills the plot holes or unexplained events and messy storyline that the first half is made to. That’s why I still move the film, even though he had a lot of luck trying to do it and pulling off a masterpiece.

Another director would have gotten a long series instead he just had to work for 30 minutes of the film and leave the interpretation to everyone.

—-

What is the implicit value of consensus? Does people agreeing on things somehow make it legit? There are some films out there that have been woefully misinterpreted for years, and that misinterpretation had a general consensus that was bandied back and forth as some kind of gospel. Considering consensus can sometimes be dead wrong, does this make it something worth striving for as some kind of objective measure of worth?

—-

It establish an answer, a popular one albeit. I don’t see what’s to interpret about a movie with a guy magically having a baby that looks like chicken and a one dimensional gimmick of the unexplained character for the sake of trying to shook the viewer. There isn’t wrong or right because it’s all opinions.

—-

I'm sure (hope) you have better ways to spend your time. It's probably more productive to try and appreciate what others see in things you don't like, even if you are not likely to ever enjoy them yourself. Either that, or just stop thinking about it. There is no bigger waste of time than trying to convince other people why they shouldn't like something they like. What kind of party pooper **** is this anyways? Who do you think your saving, beyond the cognitive dissonance you feel when people champion those weird, no-consensus David Lynch films. Isn't it enough to just explain why YOU don't like something. It should be, because let me assure you that you are biting off more than you can chew in trying to dictate why NOBODY should.

—-

Oh no, I don’t have a bias. I personally think Lynch falls flat in making movies that can be considered fun, entertaining or logical and also falls flat on creating any character that feels human instead of motionless or one dimensional. His protagonists are all unlikeable or boring archetypes with no depth or nothing to beat for, since there’s no logical plot or just a predictable one in his films.

They’re just not my cup of tea, and I understand why people like this directors but I don’t see what’s the buzz is about when he’s being compared to Kubrick, Scorsese or Tarantino for example. I am just speaking off my personal opinion, that’s it. I don’t care if his movies are praised that doesn’t mean I have to like him. As I said my opinion is unpopular, but after the lackluster Twin Peaks movie Lynch left a bad taste in my moviegoer mouth.

More than Micheal Bay did recently.

Trouble with a capital "T"
Watching Eraserhead in a movie theater was a phenomenal experience. It was perfect for the ending, in particular. Going from blinding lights and a loud bit of sound design to being left in dead silence in the dark was one of the best experiences I've ever had watching a film.

Overall, I think Eraserhead is one of the few films which are completely aesthetically unique. I think Mulholland Drive is his most popular film, but my heart has always been with Eraserhead.
Eraserhead is genius in my book. Though I haven't watched much of Lynch's other films, so can't really can't comment on those.

Eraserhead is genius in my book. Though I haven't watched much of Lynch's other films, so can't really can't comment on those.
He's definitely one of my favorite directors (there's a handful of his films I haven't seen though). Save for Lost Highway, which I like a lot and would gladly recommend but was kinda left cold by, I love pretty much everything he's done.

Sorry if this is more pile on, but I'm really confused by the bolded parts here. I mean, every film has themes. Themes are merely a consequence of storytelling. You don't even need to like those films to acknowledge that they have themes. The same goes for story. Stories are just accounts of events, really, which apply for, well, every film. They can be large scale or they can be as small scale as a film which consists entirely of someone blinking their eyes. A film having a story isn't some sort of strict designation.
I understand but we still have no idea about what the shining is about, theorically neither Inland Empire.

The difference is that Kubrick is an actual genius, and Lynch is just all hype and really good at fooling people into making those comparisons.