Misunderstood Movies

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Oh okay. I've seen the movie but haven't read the book.

Welcome to the human race...
I've always thought Natural Born Killers was suppose to be a satire, but my friends say I am misunderstanding it, and that it's suppose to be a serious thriller that plays it straight. Am I misunderstanding it?
It's definitely satirical - if the rather blunt criticism of mass media as an entity via Robert Downey Jr.'s character wasn't enough of a sign, there's also Mickey and Mallory's perspectives being thoroughly warped by their exposure to media (arguably best demonstrated by how Mallory's abusive home life is rendered as a parody of multi-camera family sitcoms).

Well my friends only seem to agree on the sitcom part, but the rest is suppose to be serious. But the whole movie plays like an over the top dark farce to me. Or maybe what they meant was, is that the movies message was meant to be taken seriously. But if that's the case, was it though?

Di je Karlo?
How to train your dragon. People like to politicize it and say it's about "love and tolerance", but it's more of a coming of age film about a weird teenager finding himself.
It's clearly a personal story, the similarities to Lilo and Stitch aren't accidental.

Welcome to the human race...
I mean, the humans start off intolerant of dragons, the main character "finds himself" by being the first person to disregard that ingrained intolerance by befriending a dragon, and by the end the other humans learn to accept the dragons. Neither one really takes precedence over the other.

I still have mixed feelings after the films "Mina" and "Buried Alive."

Is Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind a misunderstood movie? My friends don't like the movie cause they thought it was depressing and such a downer, but I found it to be very fascinating and ending on a positive, more uplifting note. Did I interpret it incorrectly?