Best Pixar Movie

Tools    

I thought it was alright, thought it could have been 20-30 minutes shorther though. Swan had it pretty high on his list.
Yeeee I like Cars. Actually, I could have put it above Monsters Inc. even.

I have to return some videotapes...
Ratatoullie.

Am I alone in loving Cars? Because, damn it, I love Cars. Not the stupid sequel (though even that's better than Brave), but the original.
I think Cars is a fine movie, just a little bit below the normal Pixar standards. It's better than most Dreamworks movies and everything from Blue Sky. Larry the Cable Guy is a bit too obnoxious for me.

Yoda, do you have a sufficient ecplanation for what exactly triggers people to tune out after the unanimously appreciated beginning?

Besides that, my rankings probably wouldn't be entirely accurate after the first few, since it's been a while since I've seen them. I also haven't seen Cars 2, Monsters U, and The Good Dinosaur.

1.) Toy Story
2.) Wall-E
3.) Inside Out
4.) Monsters Inc.
5.) Inside Out
6.) The Incredibles
7+) idunno...

As much as I loathe to look like I'm elevating "the original by virtue of it being the original", my favorite is Toy Story. It just feels so cohesive and the characters feel real. All the other movies usually have some obstacle or lull in the story and the ones that aren't are too divorced from reality for us to fully empathize, either through it's use of humor or it's approach to the story.

Please hold your applause till after the me.
Isn't it a plane spinoff to cars, therefore Pixar?
Only Disney knows how to sellout to such a low, I'll take Cars 2 over either Planes movies any day, and I really hate Cars 2, and the first Cars for that matter.

Yoda, do you have a sufficient ecplanation for what exactly triggers people to tune out after the unanimously appreciated beginning?
That's a really exceptional question, and I'm kind of annoyed with myself for not having pondered this more in the past.

I think it's probably a few things. First, probably because the opening is so good that anything was bound to seem less artful and interesting afterwards.

Second, because the superficial plot elements after that seem trite (talking dogs and the like). So even though a lot more is going on underneath the surface, it's covered by stuff that looks, at a glance, like a chintzy Dreamworks babysitting substitute full of goofy, meaningless adventure.

And third, simply because a lot of it is really subtle and well-hidden, with multiple references to old cinematic classics (and even famous interviews with classic filmmakers). As I was writing the essay I was still noticing things after a dozen viewings.

After watching The Good Dinosaur last night my rankings would now be:

1.WALL-E
2.Monsters Inc
3.The Incredibles
4.Up
5.Toy Story 2
6.Inside Out
7.Toy Story 3
8.Toy Story
9.Ratatouille
10.Finding Nemo
11.The Good Dinosaur
12.A Bugs Life
13.Cars
14.Monsters University
15.Brave

Just Cars 2 left to see and i'm in no hurry to see it.

For me it's UP there is so much emotion packed into one juicy animation film.

That's a really exceptional question, and I'm kind of annoyed with myself for not having pondered this more in the past.

I think it's probably a few things. First, probably because the opening is so good that anything was bound to seem less artful and interesting afterwards.

Second, because the superficial plot elements after that seem trite (talking dogs and the like). So even though a lot more is going on underneath the surface, it's covered by stuff that looks, at a glance, like a chintzy Dreamworks babysitting substitute full of goofy, meaningless adventure.

And third, simply because a lot of it is really subtle and well-hidden, with multiple references to old cinematic classics (and even famous interviews with classic filmmakers). As I was writing the essay I was still noticing things after a dozen viewings.
If the movie is truly is as subtle as you say it is, I don't think it is well served by it's stock "fun for the whole family" exterior.

This is the first Pixar movie to feature regular humans as main characters and as far as I can tell it's also the first Pixar movie with blood.

This really could have been a movie for more mature audiences, but it feels like Pixar buckled heavily under the weight of expectation. Playing with dog tropes is pretty low comedy even for Pixar.

As you say, it's the first Pixar movie with regular humans, so I think it's asking a lot that it also not be fun for kids to watch. I'm also not sure it works to criticize a film for not being an entirely different type of film (as opposed to not doing what it does as well as it could), but that's another discussion, I suppose.

The important thing is that the melding of mature themes and more overtly family-friendly stuff has produced a film about serious topics that kids will actually watch and enjoy. You and I are adults, so we'd probably find a more mature film more satisfying on most levels, but that comes at the expense of many kids watching or caring about it at all. I guess that's "better" from our individual perspectives', but I'm not sure it's better objectively. And it definitely isn't if you judge the film on its own goals, which mean, first and foremost, that it has to be a family film.

All that said, I thought the dog stuff was very funny. I know on paper it's the hackiest thing ever, but as is so often the case, it's all in the execution.

As you say, it's the first Pixar movie with regular humans, so I think it's asking a lot that it also not be fun for kids to watch. I'm also not sure it works to criticize a film for not being an entirely different type of film (as opposed to not doing what it does as well as it could), but that's another discussion, I suppose.

The important thing is that the melding of mature themes and more overtly family-friendly stuff has produced a film about serious topics that kids will actually watch and enjoy. You and I are adults, so we'd probably find a more mature film more satisfying on most levels, but that comes at the expense of many kids watching or caring about it at all. I guess that's "better" from our individual perspectives', but I'm not sure it's better objectively. And it definitely isn't if you judge the film on its own goals, which mean, first and foremost, that it has to be a family film.

All that said, I thought the dog stuff was very funny. I know on paper it's the hackiest thing ever, but as is so often the case, it's all in the execution.
I won't say the high pitched voice gag didn't catch me off guard the first time (I saw it in theaters), but it's still pretty base and relatively speaking, the movie doesn't seem to explore relevant themes in a manner digestable for younger audiences. Not in the same way that Inside Out tackles emotion, The Incredibles tackles family, or WALL-E tackles technological dependence. Actually, I'd be hard pressed to come up with a theme to describe Up with.

I'm tempted to say nostalgia, but again, it feels like it was flexed to it's extent within the first 10 minutes.

I don't wanna step on the essay too much, but I'd say it's primarily about the vulnerability that comes with caring about other people (an important distinction from the more common family film theme of "Care About Other People!").

A secondary theme (though it's really part of the primary theme) is that being with those people make everyday things meaningful. The adventure stuff almost comes off as deliberately meta, since it literally stops in the middle at one point to let a character talk about how "the boring stuff is the stuff I remember most."

I don't wanna step on the essay too much, but I'd say it's primarily about the vulnerability that comes with caring about other people (an important distinction from the more common family film theme of "Care About Other People!").

A secondary theme (though it's really part of the primary theme) is that being with those people make everyday things meaningful. The adventure stuff almost comes off as deliberately meta, since it literally stops in the middle at one point to let a character talk about how "the boring stuff is the stuff I remember most."
I get that. Perhaps it'd have a greater impact on me if I haven't seen the "Thaw The Iceman" trope done better with more focus.