Skepsis' Top 50

→ in
Tools    

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
I've heard about it, although from a friend who assured it's not worth watching. I'm intrigued to check it out myself, now that I'm hearing some praise for it.

Love Mulholland Drive & Donnie Darko. Two mind-bending dramas, that I've watched multiple times and still feel the same way I did the first time I saw them.

that's what she said...
Just out of curiosity, has anyone else seen An American Crime? It was never out in cinemas, which I think is a crime unto itself. Don't let that put you off.
I have not, but I will watch it tonight ( Instead of Dark Knight ).

#26: The Social Network (David Fincher, 2010)

A departure from Fincher's usual style, The Social Network is nevertheless a work of genius acting, writing and direction. The tone and pacing are both exceptional. What pushes it greatness for me though is its relevance to my own generation.

#25: The Shawshank Redemption (Frank Darabont, 1994)

I'm not sure this one needs too much explaining. Wonderfully shot and acted, moving, clever and truly inspirational.

#24: The Lion King (Roger Allers & Rob Minkoff, 1994)

The defining film of my childhood and one that will stick with me for many, many years. Holds up today with charming animation, characters and a classic Disney story. Fun fact: The stampede scene took Disney almost 3 years to animate.

The Social Network is ranked EXACTLY the same on my current list (the one here is outdated). +Rep

"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."-Shawshank Redemption
My favorite Quote
Except that hope is not a good thing. It can be, but on the whole, hope is the worst of all the evils to spring from Pandora's box.

Except that hope is not a good thing. It can be, but on the whole, hope is the worst of all the evils to spring from Pandora's box.
That's ever so cynical honeykid. Hope can help get one through even the most dire of situations. If there's no hope, why don't we all just kill ourselves now?

I've heard about it, although from a friend who assured it's not worth watching. I'm intrigued to check it out myself, now that I'm hearing some praise for it.

Love Mulholland Drive & Donnie Darko. Two mind-bending dramas, that I've watched multiple times and still feel the same way I did the first time I saw them.
In regard to Mulholland Dr, I don't understand how anyone can watch it multiple times and continually have the first same experience of absolute confusion and bewilderment from being sidef*cked. Each viewing slowly unravels layers and it sort of becomes more and more cohesive to the point you think you begin to understand but probably don't. What i'm trying to say, each time I watch I feel slightly more enlightened and less confused.

That's ever so cynical honeykid. Hope can help get one through even the most dire of situations.
It can. It can also (and more often, IMO) keep people in situations they'd be much better off out of.

If there's no hope, why don't we all just kill ourselves now?
Absolutely. I know why I'm still here. Do you?

You are not Optimist....right?

#23: Being John Malkovich (Spike Jonze, 1999)

One of the weirdest pieces of cinema I've ever seen. In terms of originality, it's unrivalled and Kaufman's script, the surreal atmosphere as a result of Jonze's direction amongst other things, and the performances of Cusack, Keener, Diaz and Malkovich come together to create a remarkably daring and innovative film.

#22: The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (Peter Jackson, 2003)

List spoiler: This is my favourite of the LotR trilogy. As much as I love the previous two this one to me is just more epic, more engrossing, and of course has the wonderful ending. Jackson wraps up his masterpiece in perfect fashion.

#21: Hesher (Spencer Susser, 2011)

I know some of you are probably a little dumbfounded by this pick, but I really did like it that much. It really hit me on a gut level, something I think all great movies should do. An excerpt from my review:

"Hesher is everything I want indie films to be. Equal parts funny, melancholy and dramatic, it serves up a challenging and thought-provoking experience, whilst often throwing in moments of absolute hilarity. It is a fantastic mix of comedy and drama. Above all though it is edgy and takes full advantage of being free from the censorship of a big budget and a big studio. Like similar indie productions, it is aimed at a specific audience and, to that group of people, is all the better for it."

If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission
My Netflix copy of "Hesher" is sitting on my PS3, I'll be checking it out very soon!

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Rep for "Being John Malcovich".

Perhaps the biggest wtf movie ever.

A truly unique experience.

#20: 2001: A Space Odyssey (Stanley Kubrick, 1968)

2001 isn't a "movie" to me. To enjoy it, you really need to think of it as a piece of art. Kubrick's masterful use of ultra slow pacing, music and the lack of dialogue make it suspenseful and awe-inspiring in equal measure. Another example of a risk creating a polarizing piece of cinema that it's lovers truly love, and it's haters do so with a vengeance, with very little in between.

#19: Annie Hall (Woody Allen, 1977)

"Just about everyone's favorite Woody Allen movie." Indeed, as a director, actor and writer Allen is at his razor-sharp best in Annie Hall. A coupling of witty one-liners and set pieces and a genuinely funny storyline with a good dose of drama thrown in as well, which, whilst never being Allen's strongest suit, works incredibly well here. A wonderful look into the lives of two not-so-normal New Yorkers and their ultimately doomed relationship.