Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Dr. Mabuse, der Spieler [Dr. Mabuse The Gambler] Murnau Foundation vsn (Fritz Lang, 1922)
+
Could've gambolled just a little quicker in places for me

Stan & Ollie [2018]

Cold Pursuit [2019]

Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.

Stan & Ollie doesn't seem to get much love here but I thoroughly enjoyed it. That's two new films I liked
[/center]
I could name a few newer films you would enjoy.

Go for it, I could use some tips.
Ashes in the Snow for one

Its a WW2 drama about the Lithuanians being sent to Siberia under Stalin's rule. . and I just recently watched that.

I will check my letterboxd acct for more and message you. Give me a bit of time.

Weird is relative.
Beoning\Burning (2018) Chang-dong Lee

WARNING: spoilers below
This movie have many questions, but we have enough evidences to support the rich guy killed her: the girls watch in Ben's bathroom, the cat responding by being called by name. The scene where Lee Jong-su burns a small piece of the green house is to give the viewers the idea of how fast the plastic would have burned. We now know that Ben was lying saying, it would need gas and ten minutes to burn a entire green house, what would need gas and ten minutes would be Shin Hae-mi body.
My theory on the above...

I thought that at first, but a lot of people have suggested that Ben actually sells pretty girls into trafficking and that's why he was so wealthy and didn't seem to have a job. When his friends come over, he may be showing off his latest girl to sell to them.

However, he probably puts it in a more exciting way to the women themselves, telling them he is going to help them build a new life. They don't realize until it's too late and they are taken away for prostitution or organ trafficking. That's why Shin Hae-mi calls Lee Jong-su at the last minute, when she is being subdued by the kidnappers. Then Ben must have turned off her phone, tidied up her apartment and taken in her cat.

As for the items left in his apartment... it's normal to forget things and leave them behind when you're in relationships. So either Ben has a habit of quietly snatching these items when the girls aren't looking, or he just collects them after he sells the girls, because they would leave some things behind at his place.

I don't know if this would be your cup of tea, @Citizen Rules, but it turned out to be quite an unexpected pleasure for me:

Can You Ever Forgive Me? (2018)

Tells the story of two eccentric NYC characters who scam book sellers by forging letters by famous authors. And it is based on a true story, from a book written by the forger herself.
After failing to make a hit with her last biography, writer Lee Israel is up against a rock and a hard place. She has gotten herself fired from her day job by insulting her boss and is scolded and left hanging in the wind by her supercilious, cold, arrogant agent - played to PERFECTION by Jane Curtin , in a role that was tailor made for her. Lee is a grouchy, disheveled, hard drinking New Yorker whose one of two joys in life is ambushing anyone in range with scathing insults. - the kind of person who you'd cross the street to avoid. Her only other joy is her cat, who she adores with all her heart and well above any human being she encounters, including her ex girlfriend and a waif like possible new love interest who she winds up selling forgeries to.

She also winds up as a friend - of sorts- and co conspirator with a gay male companion, of self described charm, and who has enough self destructive tendencies to fill a small planet. And indeed these two are in a sort of insular planet of their own in 1990s NYC.

Lee, out of work and (oft by her own mechanisms) out of friends, is unable to pay her rent and facing the possibilty of becoming the bag lady she appears to be. So she hatches a plot to sell 'letters' of famous writers to book sellers and collectors, and takes a perverse pride that she is a skilled enough writer to forge them, and fool all these high toned rarified book dealers.

And, most surprisingly to tthis viewer, she winds up gaining our empathy and understanding. We come to root for her struggle to survive the hardships of being a single artist in a time and place in history where high rents and gentrification are driving out the very people - artists, writers, musicians,etc. - who gave the city its creative zeal. And part of that empathy is that when Lee's scam is about to be discovered and revealed to the authorities and she's facing some serious consequences, all the dealers who were ( perhaps not so unwitting) accomplices in this ruse seem to escape unscathed. I will not spoil the movie, but there's a scene of good and realistic irony at the end when Lee lets a dealer know she's on to him.

The movie is also terrifically funny as it propels us through a unique and quirky world that I don't believe we often see in films about a great cosmopolitan city. Melissa McCarthy turns in a top of the line performance as the grouchy, eccentric, yet likeable Lee Israel.

Really enjoyed his movie - a crime drama that's somehow a comedy. I didn't expect to like the cfaracters at all, but wound up enjoying this 'too odd to be true ' true story, and its surprisingly winsome two main characters.

My theory on the above...

I thought that at first, but a lot of people have suggested that Ben actually sells pretty girls into trafficking and that's why he was so wealthy and didn't seem to have a job. When his friends come over, he may be showing off his latest girl to sell to them.

However, he probably puts it in a more exciting way to the women themselves, telling them he is going to help them build a new life. They don't realize until it's too late and they are taken away for prostitution or organ trafficking. That's why Shin Hae-mi calls Lee Jong-su at the last minute, when she is being subdued by the kidnappers. Then Ben must have turned off her phone, tidied up her apartment and taken in her cat.

As for the items left in his apartment... it's normal to forget things and leave them behind when you're in relationships. So either Ben has a habit of quietly snatching these items when the girls aren't looking, or he just collects them after he sells the girls, because they would leave some things behind at his place.
What a wonderful theory. Makes sense actually. My mind forgot about that last phone call.

Kind of in line with Clint's recent movies. Good but not great.

This was very good and is one that will probably be even better after a re-watch.

Dark Crimes (2016) Alexandros Avranas

I'm a huge fan of Marton Csokas, liked the down to earth character he played. Charlotte Gainsbourg is one of the best actresses alive, the role was made for her. Not sure why Jim Carrey decided to make this movie, but okay. Very exquisite film, vulgar sex, vulgar thoughts, cold behavior, the actors were well chosen, with the exception of one, maybe.

Blade Runner 2049 (2017) Denis Villeneuve

Liked the picture especially, it's the most important, or one of the most important things in this kind of movies, because they are made out of our curiosity, and since I don't have the curiosity most people have about the future I'm stepping on unknown territory.

Suburra (2015) Stefano Sollima

The plot will have a especial meaning for those who live in the Iberian peninsula, Italy, France, Greece because it shows how the underground world of criminality interact with the puppets (politicians) we see on television. It explains how/why politicians are moved to certain companies, why politicians create there foundations. It gives a interesting perspective of how the European politics work. Americans should learn a little bit how to make action scenes with this Italians, not bad.

A torinói ló\The Turin Horse (2011) Béla Tarr

Ińárritu said he didn't knew how he should film horses for Revenant, he should take some notes, what he didn't copy from Tarkovsky should have copied from Tarr. This would made Tarkovsky proud.

“I was cured, all right!”

A torinói ló\The Turin Horse (2011) Béla Tarr

Ińárritu said he didn't knew how he should film horses for Revenant, he should take some notes, what he didn't copy from Tarkovsky should have copied from Tarr. This would made Tarkovsky proud.

Well said!

Dragged Across Concrete (2018)

Best of this directors work I've seen. Relies on the performances of the main actors and that's no problem at all...Gibson, Vaughn and Kittles (especially) are excellent.

Nothing new or groundbreaking but a well made solid modern thriller.

3rd Re-watch...Above all, this movie is a testament to the directing genius of Ron Howard. Apollo 13 is surely his masterpiece, but this film is definitely #2...this is cinematic storytelling at its best. Anchored by a near brilliant screenplay, Howard crafts a taut nail-biter that rivets the viewer to the screen with almost unbearable tension...I love the edgy elements of the story that raise it above the average kidnapping story...I love that Tom Mullen is partly responsible for his child's kidnapping...I love that the kidnappers are not the cohesive unit that they should be...I love the way Tom makes a move at the halfway point of the film that turns the entire story on its ear...Howard creates some terrific cinematic pictures here as well...I love Tom watching his son's science project flying away or when he runs across the street and almost gets hit by the van carrying his son. I love at the moment when little Sean is grabbed he is behind a stone column and we don't actually see him being grabbed...Howard did everything right here...this is also one of the few movies where an extra ending totally works and has the viewer pulling their hair out...the performances are superb down the line...Mel Gibson has never been better and Gary Sinise brings the ugly to Jimmy Shaker that the story requires. I don't know why this film has been nearly forgotten, but suspense fans who have never seen it should treat themselves.

A Dark Place (2018)

Originally entitled Steel Country, neither title is apt-- the incongruity of which speaks to the lack of steam taking the film into its final chapter in a movie that otherwise is fairly enjoyable.

The picture's story is a familiar whodunit, where we're shown the murdered young boy at the beginning, then left to follow along the plot as they gradually discover the murderer and its coverup.

In this case the "detective" is a youngish sanitation worker who is either retarded, afflicted with a neurological condition, or is perhaps suffering from PTSD. That's not made clear. But he becomes obsessed with the cause of the little boy's death, presumably because the boy used to wave at the garbageman from his doorstep.

There are only two worthwhile aspects of this picture to recommend: the first rate acting by Andrew Scott (and also by his character's partner, Bronagh Waugh), and the wonderful atmospheric photography by Marcel Zyskind.

The production itself is not without merit --it even has a certain comfortable feel about it-- but it is the weak screenplay that tarnishes the effort. The show was only 89 minutes, but it felt longer. The fact that we're left to wonder why the protagonist has taken such an unnatural interest in the boy's death removes a chunk out of the story's believability.

Still, the film is worth a watch for the acting and cinematography. It's also interesting that it's a UK film starring mostly Brit actors, shot in Georgia; but none of that is noticeable, as it feels like an American production.

Doc's rating: 6/10