Rate That Movie: American History X

Tools    

Just here for the free donuts

I really like this film. The use of black and white for the retrospective bits is a very cool touch throughout the film. And the film does a great job of showing how a young person can be influenced and brainwashed by people they look up to. It's very easy to see how the twisted logic of some of the main characters can start to make sense to an impressionable youth. Also, it does a great job in portraying the struggle of coming to terms with the wake of destruction left behind by Derek and how the responsibility of that weighs so heavily on him. Overall a great piece of work. I would have liked to have been able to see the movie had the original vision of the director been able to be realized. If you aren't aware of all the controversy surrounding the film and how it was basically stolen away from Tony Kaye by Edward Norton and New Line, it's a pretty interesting story. Here is a link to an article that is the first hand account of what happened, written by Tony Kaye.

Global Rating : 3.64/5
% : 72.75 %

Want more vote !