It was a long movie without too serious of drama, so I appreciated the comedy to break it up. Of course most people here don't appreciated comedy much in general.

Speaking of comedy, I enjoyed Charlie Chaplins "The Kid"
more than Modern Times.

I'll check out Lage Raho Munnabhai though, since I seem to agree a lot with your list. Thanks for the recommendation.

I guess I cannot recommend any indian films to you!
Here are some of my favorites you might enjoy, which are not on your list:

The Kid (Charlie Chaplin Tramp)

Citizen Kane (Orson Welles first and greatest picture)

Giant (Best drama of family life I've ever seen, featuring James Dean)

Kurosawa's Dreams (Couple of short stories, some of which absolutely blew me away!)

Full Metal Jacket (Stanley Kubricks best work!)

The Man From Nowhere.. best action thriller I have seen in over 10 years.
Citizen Kane was a miss for me. Ans full metal jacket, now that you mention it, completely forgot about that. I was too fixated on getting the list done. The kid, I have seen. The others I will add it to my list.

In general, if you talk about Indian movies, languages break it up a lot. Like 3 Idiots is in hindi. Satyajit Ray's work are all in Bengali except one.

For me Bengali movies >>>> Hindi movies. They still churn out quite good stuff. Since the industry is small, Fame eludes it. I can recommend some good one's there as well.

Also to watch them here in the US, torrents is the only way to go. They are not even on youtube or netflix.