Who do you think would best handle filming Catcher In the Rye?

Tools    

The question in my mind is: Does a great/groundbreaking film involve a "great" / groundbreaking score? ... I think it should

It should.. IMO anyway.

I think that you can tell Salenger didn't want this book to be made into a film, just by reading it. Wouldn't making it, then, be a hypocrisy?

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I think that you can tell Salenger didn't want this book to be made into a film, just by reading it. Wouldn't making it, then, be a hypocrisy?
If Salinger made it, perhaps. But going against the author's wishes in terms of film adaptations isn't always a bad thing. What about The Shining?

If Salinger made it, perhaps...
Of course, there are numerous examples of book being made into a better movie against its writer's wishes, but in this case the book itself doesn't want to be adapted - Caulfield constantly repeats that he hates movies because he thinks they are fake and boring. And of course, Catcher in The Rye could make for a good movie in proper hands, but it still wouldn't be true to original idea of the book - always being yourself. On the other hand, maybe if they would make it completely different from the book...

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Caulfield constantly repeats that he hates movies because he thinks they are fake and boring.
Handled in the right way, this could add an interesting layer of irony to the movie (if there is one).

McG.

Just kidding!

Rian Johnson, maybe?

And yeah, cast an unknown.