Disappointing Movie Sequels?

Tools    

There were a lot of disappointing sequels but from recent memory are Zoolander 2, Dumb and Dumber Too, Jack Reacher: Never Go Back... I guess the most of them lacked the style, quality of the material, and the plot holes were evident especially in Jack Reacher 2. Although they all had more or less the same cast.

Welcome to the human race...
Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome - quite possibly the ultimate watered-down sequel.

Project A 2 - as noted in the "movies you'd thought you'd love" thread, I like Chan and the first one but I really don't see the hype here.

Return to the 36th Chamber/Disciples of the 36th Chamber - The 36th Chamber of Shaolin is one of the best martial arts movies ever made, so it's almost inevitable that the sequels disappoint in comparison.

All the post-T2 sequels - no explanation necessary.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
The Matrix sequels were the very definition of disappointment

Shocked to see someone put Predator 2 as theirs

Regrettably, I have to agree with the Matrix sequels. And I loved The Matrix. The Burly Brawl, for all its hype, was shockingly goofy CGI. I may have cried. And the twins..... omg, the twins. Their highlight shot was in the trailer. For the rest of their scenes they just stood there staring into each other's eyes. AND THE SUNGLASSES!!! OOOH THE HUMANITY!!!

=*****(

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"
Well, Tobe Hooper only directed Chainsaw 2 because the guys behind Cannon Films (Golan and Globus) pressured him to do a sequel as part of his 3-movie contract (Invaders from Mars and Lifeforce were the other two films). Hooper was apparently frustrated and made Chainsaw 2 a black comedy horror film, even though by today's standards, it's considered a cult classic.

Someone mentioned Return to the 36th Chamber and Disciples of the 36th Chamber. I have read from numerous sources, that the late legendary Lau Kar-Leung, who directed all three films, was forced by Shaw Brothers to add comedy, my guess because of the success of Jackie Chan's Snake in Eagle's Shadow and subsequent films. Lau wasn't too thrilled about adding comedy to the sequels but was under pressure from Sir Run Run Shaw. However, I have to admit, I liked Return to the 36th Chamber, but thought Disciples could have been better.

For me, I was disappointed by Class of Nuke 'Em High 2 & 3, which I understand was part of the current Troma revolution, but the reboot Return to Nuke Em High Volume 1 was awesome! I actually can't wait for Return to Return to Nuke Em High aka Volume 2, which got major rave at Cannes even thought Lloyd Kaufman has announced he will never go to Cannes again because of the politics change.

I don't actually wear pants.
Spider-Man 2 and X-Men Last Stand are two of the worst films ever.

Considering the hype, Godfather Part II and Terminator 2 are both massive disappointments, but, compared to their predecessors, they're only barely disappointing. I did not like either first installment.

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"
Attack on Titan: End of the World (the second of a 2-part live action adaptation of the hit Japanese manga/anime) was truly a let down when compared to its first part. It was one big massive bore until the finale. All the good stuff happens in the first part.

I think Spider-Man 3 was a bad sequel as was Amazing Spider-Man 2. I felt they just put too much into those two sequels. For ASM2, Electro should have just been the main villain...I was sick of seeing some version of The Green Goblin and of course they ruined it with that. Thank God Homecoming won't have the Goblin in it. I want to see a villain like Vulture and even down the road, The Chameleon amongst others. Just give the Goblin a break for a while.

Welcome to the human race...
OMG, how many threads are there out there on this topic already?
Not that many. Searching "sequels" turns up a couple that are sort of similar in being about "bad sequels to good movies" or whatever, but specifying disappointment is different enough.

Well, Tobe Hooper only directed Chainsaw 2 because the guys behind Cannon Films (Golan and Globus) pressured him to do a sequel as part of his 3-movie contract (Invaders from Mars and Lifeforce were the other two films). Hooper was apparently frustrated and made Chainsaw 2 a black comedy horror film, even though by today's standards, it's considered a cult classic.
I guess I technically consider it disappointing because it's nowhere near the same level of quality as the first one, but I can at least respect that Hooper decided to head in a completely different direction in terms of execution.

Someone mentioned Return to the 36th Chamber and Disciples of the 36th Chamber. I have read from numerous sources, that the late legendary Lau Kar-Leung, who directed all three films, was forced by Shaw Brothers to add comedy, my guess because of the success of Jackie Chan's Snake in Eagle's Shadow and subsequent films. Lau wasn't too thrilled about adding comedy to the sequels but was under pressure from Sir Run Run Shaw. However, I have to admit, I liked Return to the 36th Chamber, but thought Disciples could have been better.
I figured it was something like that. Gordon Liu has some impressive physicality as a fighter but that really doesn't translate into humourous escapades like those of Jackie Chan or Sammo Hung. It was too distracting to see that Return cast him as a whole new novice character, then having him reprise his original role in Disciples only to play second fiddle to some other goon.

“Hell will hold no surprises for you.”
Every Die Hard after Vengeance
Every Terminator after T2.
Back to the Future Part III
Rocky V
Batman & Robin
The Matrix Revolutions
Speed 2
The Exorcist 2