Earthquake in NY area!

Tools    

Dude, why are you creating new scenarios to worry me?
Chances of any of that happening are, naturally, extremely remote. I hope that provides some comfort.

Having said that, we all got to go sometime. Hopefully - I mean this sincerely - most or all of us still have many decades ahead of us. Nevertheless, I personally believe in making the most of every day I have, because I can't 100% rule out all possibility of a natural disaster, freak accident, violent crime, etc.

The good thing is that none of the really awful stuff happens 99.99% of the time. So, I should hope, that gives you some relief and comfort and helps you sleep better tonight.

Dude, why are you creating new scenarios to worry me? Stop it!
I didn't even know anything happened till one of my neighbors told me about it. I was sleeping when it happened. I remember the only earthquake I ever felt. I thought the boiler in the house was exploding.
Heard several people say the same thing today - they thought it was their home's boiler, water heater, furnace, or plumbing exploding. With things going on in the world today, some said they thought it might the first shock wave of a nuclear bomb landing on NYC or Washington DC!

In light of these possibilities, a "light to moderate" earthquake is a relief.

So let's focus on how we got a warning today, but got off easy.

Strange, the other day (after watching newscasts & several YouTube videos of protests, interviews and real-life crazy people) I was thinking "It seems like so many people need something or someone to grab them and shake them back to common sense & logical thinking."
Maybe we just got shook.

Strange, the other day (after watching newscasts & several YouTube videos of protests, interviews and real-life crazy people) I was thinking "It seems like so many people need something or someone to grab them and shake them back to common sense & logical thinking."
Maybe we just got shook.
I think we're still pretty far from seeing the major East Coast cities make a serious effort at "earthquake proofing" retrofits. Those are pretty expensive, from what I hear.

But of course, I would love to be wrong about that.

Some years back, I was working in a tall building in downtown Baltimore, sitting at my desk, doing something and, all of a sudden, I feel dizzy. Within seconds, I realize that the rolling glass doors on my book case are ratting and that my coffee is sloshing in the mug.

Having been in California during a minor quake, I realized what was happening, and made it down 12 flights of stairs in about 6 seconds, out to the open area next to the building. By the time I got there, it was over.