Musicals (Do we need 'em?)

Tools    

Don't watch them then.
Stick to Pixels instead of rubbishing anything that's not to your personal taste to get attention.
As I have said, I haven't rubbished anything. I just simply stated my opinion about this genre and wanted to know what it was that people enjoyed about them. It's a bit weird to get so offended by that.

Anyone who knows me had to know that I would respond to this thread eventually, but after reading the OP, I have decided to not even dignify this thread with a response. A reply would initiate me saying something I will regret so I'm going to let this slide and go on with my life.

Again folks, it's just my opinion. I don't like musicals but haven't said anything to insult those who do. Just wanted to get an idea as to what the appeal behind them is.

Again folks, it's just my opinion. I don't like musicals but haven't said anything to insult those who do. Just wanted to get an idea as to what the appeal behind them is.

Well, like I said asking what's wrong with a feel-good movie.

Musicals are a suspense of disbelief.
2 hours of just sitting and immersing yourself in something that simply makes you feel good.
They're uplifting.

Musicals are often a go-to source of entertainment as well when parents want to spend the afternoon with their kids.
Fun, dancing, singing, fun, singing and more fun.

Musicals interest me quite a bit, despite the fact I am not a fan of them at all. Truth be told, I have never really understood musicals very well. I get the concept if it's a stage play but I really can't understand a film adaptation of a musical.
Now, to be frank, I know that musicals are not designed for bright people and if we're being honest with ourselves, we know that most people that like musicals and silly airheads with colorful jackets and cowboy boots. I don't mean that as an insult to anyone here that's a fan, it's just a generalization that I have found to be pretty accurate.
The reason I have never been able to get into the movie 'Oliver' for example is because it makes no sense at all for a group of characters to burst into song for no good reason and they somehow all know the words of this song despite the fact it's meant to be improvised on the spot? It's nonsense.
Anyone out there agree with me on musicals? I just don't see what it is that I am missing here.
I'm not a fan, no. However, one of my favourite films, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, has a couple of songs in it, so I can't diss them too much.

I much prefer Pygmalion (1938) to My Fair Lady (1964), although Rex Harrison's talk-singing is very much appreciated .

And Scrooge (1970) has always put me off by being a musical. I always think it looks pretty good though – I like it that his staircase has the huge width as described by Dickens. I might grit my teeth one Christmas and go for it. And then I might watch Scrooge.

I do enjoy a feel good movie, but it has to be grounded in reality which is why I can never get into musicals despite trying a few times lol.

Not a fan in general. But there are musicals that blew me away, like A Star is Born (1954). Only you have to endure its 3hrs to get totally blown away.

I know, it's silly TRAAAAAAAAAALLALA! That's why it makes people sick. It made John Lennon sick. He just couldn't bloody stand them. But there are various types of musicals...you have The Sound of Music, or West Side Story, My Fair Lady, Singin' in the Rain. Of course the story also plays an important part. As does the music itself. That's why Hair is my favorite.
Hair is brilliant...I wish more musical haters would give it a chance.

I do enjoy a feel good movie, but it has to be grounded in reality which is why I can never get into musicals despite trying a few times lol.

Try Little Shop Of Horrors (1986)...

This might just do nobody any good.
All That Jazz is a brilliant piece of cinematic existentialism!

Give it a shot, Robert.

The Bandwagon is just a joy!

The device of the "musical episode" is a novel idea but just as frightening. Buffy the Vampire Slayer did it and it caused a few imitations, including a Doctor Who audio, The Pirates, with Bill Oddie as the villainous pirate Red Jasper .

The real question is Do we need this thread?

Not a fan of musicals either. Have been doing better with them the past few years though; was a fan of Singin' In The Rain and Meet Me In St Louis. Got a 30's Musicals thing coming up so hopefully i'll like at least one of those.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Now, to be frank, I know that musicals are not designed for bright people and if we're being honest with ourselves, we know that most people that like musicals and silly airheads with colorful jackets and cowboy boots. I don't mean that as an insult to anyone here that's a fan, it's just a generalization that I have found to be pretty accurate.
Good freaking god. You just go from bad to worse. Have you heard of the Dale Carnegie Institute? You might want to check yourself in.

The real question is Do we need this thread?
"There's a place, a secret place, where some of us go to indulge our depressions, to share our miseries, with other killjoys like you and me"

Can't believe everyone is getting so worked up by the "kills dogs and destroys movie theatres coz i'm badass, roller-coaster lover" guy, he's not being serious about anything man, c'mon.

Can't believe everyone is getting so worked up by the "kills dogs and destroys movie theatres coz i'm badass, roller-coaster lover" guy, he's not being serious about anything man, c'mon.
I don't understand what it is that I have said that's bothering people. I am just asking questions about a genre I am not a fan of and people seem to think I am talking down to them.
For example, I love the story of oliver twist but I hated the musical because it made no sense for them to all be singing a song that they are apparently just making up on the spot so it took me out of the movie.
I might not mind a musical so much if all the numbers took place on a stage as it would make more sense.

I don't understand what it is that I have said that's bothering people. I am just asking questions about a genre I am not a fan of and people seem to think I am talking down to them.
For example, I love the story of oliver twist but I hated the musical because it made no sense for them to all be singing a song that they are apparently just making up on the spot so it took me out of the movie.
I might not mind a musical so much if all the numbers took place on a stage as it would make more sense.
Cabaret like Thursday suggested. Hedwig and the Angry Inch is another, that takes place over a bands tour mostly so the songs make sense.

I much prefer Pygmalion (1938) to My Fair Lady (1964), although Rex Harrison's talk-singing is very much appreciated .

Of course Why can't the English is my fave.

Yes, it's quite different from all other musicals I've seen. It has even Biblical reflections and allusions. Miloš Forman is one of my fave directors anyway, and in my opinion, this is far above all his other stuff I've seen (all the big ones, I think). He just directed it sublimely. One of the best. I can't even say that anyone has surpassed that, except, Lean, Polanski and maybe Godard, Scott and Brannagh very few times.

Cabaret like Thursday suggested. Hedwig and the Angry Inch is another, that takes place over a bands tour mostly so the songs make sense.
Thanks for actually responding helpfully lol. I will have to check them out.